The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When can we extend Jim Bennings contract?

FijianCanuck

Lots of neg votes for being too early to add to the question eh? See my first post in this thread. All I added was "should they resign"

Thomas Gradin could be a potential candidate, Gillman is till in town, ditto Gillis, Tallon may be available early, maybe they will do the one year without, figuring 2020 is a washout season, maybe promote internally temporarily to wait for a guy, Lamoriello's contract is up soon, what would he be worth? Even in a mentor role like Scotty Bowman, Jim Nill? Now that would get media attention and rivalry going.

Overall evaluation of team, financials, ticket sales, fan confidence, contracts etc get scrutinized, some of those areas are not so good. Maybe Benning just doesn't like being under a magnifying glass. The GM's job is to put bums in seats and to have the team make more money.

For whatever reason Benning's tenure so far has not demonstrated solid leadership, a defined direction and communication, re-tool, rebuild, re-something, playoffs, strange contracts and this is not just a few fans in Vancouver that are thinking this or a few media personnel that hate Vancouver.

August 2016 The Score;

Jim Benning is either in executive prison, and carrying out another's agenda, or Vancouver's obvious lack of mindful direction is his enormously misguided modus operandi.

October 2015 Sportsnet;

The Canucks are a bit of a crossroads — determining whether they’re chasing a Cup or rebuilding the roster with young talent — so it will be intriguing to see the direction of the former Bruins assistant.

July 2017 Hockey Graphs;

Canucks GM Benning ranks dead-last with an average score of 2.5 out of 5.

The Hockey News

It wasn’t even close. Dead last in five of six categories and second last in the other. The team is lost, with zero direction. They’re one of the league’s worst teams and somehow find themselves close to the salary cap

Would posting the more articles help? It goes on and on, the general consensus for the last 3+ years is not good. There are almost no articles or quotes praising the overall performance of Vancouver's front office and it is showing in empty seats, ticket sales, the standings, lack of ......

Every GM makes mistakes or none of them would ever be fired, indeed most all of them eventually get fired and the extreme few retire or quit. In hindsight Benning and Linden had a wondrous opportunity when first hired, they were both rookies and mistakes could be expected and tolerated by the fans and league. A couple of questionable deals, like not getting Miller or Vrbata, and the team does very poorly, not unexpected after the previous season, but the end result could have been.....well different than it is now, maybe even hiring an Edmonton guy to show up at the draft ping pong ball drop. But hindsight and history go hand in hand, both show results, one of what did happen and what of what could have happened if...

Simple blind fanaticism doesn't change reality, hoping doesn't equal achieving, projections don't always equal success but a well thought out and executed proactive plan has a much better chance to succeed over a reactionary impulse one. If there is such a plan keeping it a secret is not helpful for fan confidence.

There may very well be an elephant in the room, there are many people involved with the team decision making process but Benning and Linden are at the top and they are the one's that end up taking the heat. But they get paid very well for that dubious privilege.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

My last word on Rodin is that he will make us pay or that treatment.....THE WORST move JB has made to date.....

From the Province ( his last word is the same as mine):

full story:  http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/the-provies-flowvember-reprised-the-rodin-situation-and-the-walker-situation

BEST SCREWED

I can sum up the Anton Rodin situations in three words.

He got screwed.

The reasons for it are complicated and not entirely understood. But he never had a chance. Not this year. Not last year. And I’d argue, as he tried to become an NHL player, not ever.

Go back to his first professional year. Canucks management was upset with the way he was used in Chicago, an independent AHL affiliate that held the hammer in deployment decisions.

He was in a limited role and regularly scratched. Canucks management was never happy with what was going in his development back then.

This I can tell you. Rodin desperately wants to play in the NHL. He’s hoping he can get to Switzerland, thrive, score and earn himself another chance.

The idea he didn’t want it enough is just flat out wrong.

What is not, he did not get a chance this year. And that was true from the moment he arrived.

He was on the Canucks “B” team from the jump in training camp, already well down in the pecking order after the Canucks picked Burmistrov, Gagner and Vanek.

It appeared predetermined he would not make the Canucks and, when he didn’t, he was sent to Utica. The Comets first two games were in Toronto six days after Rodin was waived from the Canucks.

He was healthy enough to play in those two games. He wanted to play in those two games. He was a year removed from being the Swedish elite league MVP, a season in which he was so much better than everyone else, he missed 19 games and still won it.

But for the freaking Utica Comets, he was scratched.

He would go on to play in just seven of the Comets 15 games. In all of them, he was healthy enough to play.

The Canucks contend injury was a factor.

I’m led to believe he won’t be missing games in Switzerland. We’ll see.

Early on, in Utica, Rodin looked great. In one game, he had two assists and hit the post three different times with shots. One of the assists was subsequently, officially, taken away from him.

That wasn’t good enough to get him in good standing with his coach, Cull. He never really got out of the doghouse there.

Rodin spent multiple games on Utica’s fourth line when he was in the lineup. In at least one of those games there were NHL scouts to see him who left reporting back to their teams that Rodin was basically playing on the Comets fourth line.

That’s not how you get another NHL job.

Rodin was never on the first unit power play, as far as I know.

I found just one game where he played with Goldobin.

He scored.

It was obvious he was not in the Canucks plans and he was deployed in a way that was unacceptable for him to continue, no matter how much he wanted the NHL.

Maybe if he played last season, he could have weathered playing half the time and in a role that limited his upside.

But a player can’t miss an entire season and then play games like that. Not at his age. His professional future was in the balance.

Yes, in the end, he wanted out.

I don’t think he had any other choice. The writing was on the wall.

Behind the scenes, there seemed to be this sense that he was here for the money. That he signed the only one-way contract in the NHL he was offered because of the pay.

But if that was the case, he would have taken KHL offers which would have seen him make double the money.

He took the one way because he thought it meant the Canucks believed in him.

He was wrong.

BEST EVIDENCE

screen-shot-2017-11-21-at-4-00-08-pm.png?w=587&h=348

MacEwen and Carcone are bottom six forwards.

In the AHL.

BEST OPINION

I asked Beacher, who watches pretty much every Utica game, for a Rodin take.

“He never had a bad game. He was just a little behind.

“There was some obvious rust, and he had been out-played but there wasn’t continuously bad play.”

BEST THEORY

Why did the Canucks sign Rodin?

Why were the Canucks the only team to offer him a one-way, an offer they had reason to believe he couldn’t really turn down?

It remains a wondrous, unanswered question.

But a couple people around the NHL say they believe a theory I put out there earlier.

And that is, the Canucks were concerned how it’d look if he thrived elsewhere.

One of the most useless speculations I have read on CDC and there has been a long history of such efforts. We are to believe that Rodin was brought over so the org could screw him over. Nope the management did not have enough fun screwing him around last year so they did it again this year. Seriously?

The idea that injury has haunted Rodin's career cannot be argued. It was not limited to his Canuck tenure it happened in the SHL as well. No one is gifted a NHL career out of sympathy no matter the circumstance. Canucks are moving on and I am sure wishing Rodin can still make it. 

On 11/17/2017 at 7:25 PM, CanadianRugby said:

It worked for LA, Hawks and Pens.  What's your point.  There's only one winner every year, let's concentrate on how they won.  Not on the 30 losers.  I don't point to one of the many teams that didn't tank and hasn't won a cup as if it would prove something.

Planned rebuild is when you sell off assets for draft picks & prospects and ice a lineup that you know will stink.  Just play sucking is when you trade assets to ice a good team but stink anyways.  Last 5 years Colorado has had less picks in the top rounds than they started with.  Not sure how that is accumulating picks in your world.  

Vancouver could easily have tanked instead of making the playoffs and drafted McDavid then next year draft Matthews.  Imagine if they did.  Is that how this argument works?

Yeah if Colorado had a great GM instead of Joe Sakic and they won multiple cups I would say they were an example of a good rebuild.  No argument there.  

"Chicago and LA could have easily been what Colorado is now and vice versa. Chicago could have drafted Turris or Van Riemsdyk instead of Kane. They also could have drafted Backstrom or Kessel instead of Toews."    

Kind of like that?  

1 team in the league we're going to concentrate on? Great. Let's just ignore all of the data and only concentrate on 1 team who's winning. Great accuracy of data. Not biased or skewed at all. Right?.... (I think even plus minus would be less bias than this, and +/- is the worst statistic imo) lol

Okay, who exactly did LA and Chicago sell and who did Colorado have before. If you want to argue with me on this then provide me with proof please.

Less chance of Vancouver getting McDavid or Matthews (in fact it's a 20% chance of your scenario happening compared with my 80% chance on my scenario). So no... you're missing the point entirely but I don't expect you to understand it when you don't want to understand it in the first place.

Then you realise that it takes a lot more than tanking and tanking has very little to do with having a good team.

And how's your last 2 paragraphs being a hypocrite?

On 11/10/2017 at 9:27 AM, CanadianRugby said:

"In the end, rebuilds do very little (at least by the way I define a rebuild by being a bottom feeder)"

Since 2009

Doughty 2nd overall - 2 cups

Kane & Toews 1st & 3rd overall - 3 cups

Crosby, Malkin, Fleury 1st, 1st & 1st overall - 3 cups

Rest of NHL - 1 cup

In order for rebuilds to work for everyone, there would need to be multiple cups won every year.  So that's a stupid argument.  Also not all management groups or draft years are equal.  If non-rebuilds work so well, why don't those teams ever win?  

Rebuilds also don't guarantee cups either. Just look at Arizona, Florida, Buffalo, Edmonton etc. It takes a special core to win the cup and most of the time those cores are usually drafted so I agree with you on that part. Although you forget that you can also win a cup while not totally tearing it down but getting players that are required to win through smart trades and great drafts ie. Boston, Red Wings. So I think the Canucks should rebuild but not the way some other teams rebuild like the Oilers. If we want to rebuild a team we should look at how the new Maple Leafs management did their rebuild, since they retained some of their good vets like JVR and Kadri while drafting great players and slowly bringing them up to speed. Unlike the Oilers where they draft high and throw that player into the fire the first day. 

3 hours ago, gobi said:

I was expecting to see Rodin this year until Benning signed Vanek, Burn, and Gagne. I knew then that Rodin didn't have a chance

I just didn't think Rodin would be able to transition into the NHL. The fact that we have Petersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, Goldobin and even Lind possibly making the team in a couple of years, Rodin wouldn't be able to make our team even in the future. Rodin is a top 6 type of player that needs to play in the top 6. He would have a hard time cracking the top 6 whether its now or next year when Petersson and maybe Goldobin make the team.

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Rebuilds also don't guarantee cups either. Just look at Arizona, Florida, Buffalo, Edmonton etc. It takes a special core to win the cup and most of the time those cores are usually drafted so I agree with you on that part. Although you forget that you can also win a cup while not totally tearing it down but getting players that are required to win through smart trades and great drafts ie. Boston, Red Wings. So I think the Canucks should rebuild but not the way some other teams rebuild like the Oilers. If we want to rebuild a team we should look at how the new Maple Leafs management did their rebuild, since they retained some of their good vets like JVR and Kadri while drafting great players and slowly bringing them up to speed. Unlike the Oilers where they draft high and throw that player into the fire the first day. 

Good points, although Toronto's rebuild occurred after about a decade of sucking the chrome off a trailer hitch where the team couldn't have given two *****. As well, being the center of the hockey universe must have aided them in getting Matthews.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

One of the most useless speculations I have read on CDC and there has been a long history of such efforts. We are to believe that Rodin was brought over so the org could screw him over. Nope the management did not have enough fun screwing him around last year so they did it again this year. Seriously?

The idea that injury has haunted Rodin's career cannot be argued. It was not limited to his Canuck tenure it happened in the SHL as well. No one is gifted a NHL career out of sympathy no matter the circumstance. Canucks are moving on and I am sure wishing Rodin can still make it. 

Only a loser like Botchford could come up with that utter garbage.

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Lots of neg votes for being too early to add to the question eh? See my first post in this thread. All I added was "should they resign"

Thomas Gradin could be a potential candidate, Gillman is till in town, ditto Gillis, Tallon may be available early, maybe they will do the one year without, figuring 2020 is a washout season, maybe promote internally temporarily to wait for a guy, Lamoriello's contract is up soon, what would he be worth? Even in a mentor role like Scotty Bowman, Jim Nill? Now that would get media attention and rivalry going.

Overall evaluation of team, financials, ticket sales, fan confidence, contracts etc get scrutinized, some of those areas are not so good. Maybe Benning just doesn't like being under a magnifying glass. The GM's job is to put bums in seats and to have the team make more money.

For whatever reason Benning's tenure so far has not demonstrated solid leadership, a defined direction and communication, re-tool, rebuild, re-something, playoffs, strange contracts and this is not just a few fans in Vancouver that are thinking this or a few media personnel that hate Vancouver.

August 2016 The Score;

Jim Benning is either in executive prison, and carrying out another's agenda, or Vancouver's obvious lack of mindful direction is his enormously misguided modus operandi.

October 2015 Sportsnet;

The Canucks are a bit of a crossroads — determining whether they’re chasing a Cup or rebuilding the roster with young talent — so it will be intriguing to see the direction of the former Bruins assistant.

July 2017 Hockey Graphs;

The Hockey News

It wasn’t even close. Dead last in five of six categories and second last in the other. The team is lost, with zero direction. They’re one of the league’s worst teams and somehow find themselves close to the salary cap

Would posting the more articles help? It goes on and on, the general consensus for the last 3+ years is not good. There are almost no articles or quotes praising the overall performance of Vancouver's front office and it is showing in empty seats, ticket sales, the standings, lack of ......

Every GM makes mistakes or none of them would ever be fired, indeed most all of them eventually get fired and the extreme few retire or quit. In hindsight Benning and Linden had a wondrous opportunity when first hired, they were both rookies and mistakes could be expected and tolerated by the fans and league. A couple of questionable deals, like not getting Miller or Vrbata, and the team does very poorly, not unexpected after the previous season, but the end result could have been.....well different than it is now, maybe even hiring an Edmonton guy to show up at the draft ping pong ball drop. But hindsight and history go hand in hand, both show results, one of what did happen and what of what could have happened if...

Simple blind fanaticism doesn't change reality, hoping doesn't equal achieving, projections don't always equal success but a well thought out and executed proactive plan has a much better chance to succeed over a reactionary impulse one. If there is such a plan keeping it a secret is not helpful for fan confidence.

There may very well be an elephant in the room, there are many people involved with the team decision making process but Benning and Linden are at the top and they are the one's that end up taking the heat. But they get paid very well for that dubious privilege.

What if ownership doesn't have the guts to go through a rebuild?   

We really don't know what goes on behind closed doors but there have been some things going on that make you wonder what the plan really is.

First off, Jim Benning, master scout is hired so we all expect a rebuild and 5 years of drafting and developing.

1st mixed message, Linden says that they want to give the present core led by the Sedins another shot at a deep playoff run.  This, after Kesler had been traded because he wanted a cup not a rebuild.

So after a moderately successful 101 point regular season was followed up with an inauspicious early exit from the playoffs.  The teams defense was exposed by a very heavy fore check by the Flames.  Conclusion, the D is too slow and they need better skaters who can move the puck.

So, there was their shot at a cup run now, let's get on with the rebuild.  Right?  That's what I thought but....wrong.....

Out Bieksa.  In Bartkowski who can skate but not much else.

But the team was beset with injuries in the 2015-16 season and finished with only 75 points.

In Gudbranson, Eriksson.  Out Bartkowski, Vrbata.  Redux take 3.

Again more injuries in the 2016-17 season but it is also clear that the 36 year old Sedins are on the decline.  Henrik finishes with a mere 50 points and Danny 44 points in a healthy season.  The team finished with an even worse 69 points.

What is interesting about the 2016-17 season is that the word that Linden was inexplicably not allowed to say, REBUILD, and what fans and media thought was happening, he now said.  Why?  Because it wasn't true until February 2017.  

Benning was free to make decisive moves and traded Burrows and Hansen for prospects. 

But the worm turned once again.  Just when we all thought the team was set to go we see the late addition in August 2017 of free agents Vanek, Gagner and Burmistrov.

So I say, who is more fed up with this situation, the fans or Jim Benning?  

Despite all the jacking around and flip flopping, Benning has gathered a pretty good stable of prospects.  He still has some work to do on the back end but after 3 full seasons, we are seeing improvement.

/rant over

8 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

August 2016 The Score;

October 2015 Sportsnet;

July 2017 Hockey Graphs;

The Hockey News

The fact is most of the sports media outlets are eastern based and don't understand what is happening beyond the NHL team. Benning's picks are starting to hit the NHL now and the Canucks currently have a prospect dominating almost every league. As usual a lot of people have missed the plan and will be eating their words.

4 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Totally agree. If we look at how Benning has done it, he has retained strong veteran leaders to teach the young guys. Now that the knowledge has been passed along to guys like Boeser, Bo and Baer, the next group of prospects will have role models when they are injected into the line-up (Canucks currently have a prospect dominating almost every one of the lower leagues). 

8 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

My last word on Rodin is that he will make us pay or that treatment.....THE WORST move JB has made to date.....

He had his chance to make the team out of training camp and he failed. There were limited roster spots available, which both Boeser and Virtanen legitimately won. He then went to Utica and proceeded to crap the bed there, recording 2 points in 7 games.

The dude isn't an NHL player.

8 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

August 2016 The Score;

October 2015 Sportsnet;

July 2017 Hockey Graphs;

The Hockey News

How does one get so many negative scores?

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Rebuilds also don't guarantee cups either. Just look at Arizona, Florida, Buffalo, Edmonton etc. It takes a special core to win the cup and most of the time those cores are usually drafted so I agree with you on that part. Although you forget that you can also win a cup while not totally tearing it down but getting players that are required to win through smart trades and great drafts ie. Boston, Red Wings.

Red Wings did it most of their damage when most of the league was irrelevant due to lack of current cap system.  Also, unless we draft arguably the best defenseman of all time we can't copy the "Detroit model."  

7 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

So I think the Canucks should rebuild but not the way some other teams rebuild like the Oilers. If we want to rebuild a team we should look at how the new Maple Leafs management did their rebuild, since they retained some of their good vets like JVR and Kadri while drafting great players and slowly bringing them up to speed. Unlike the Oilers where they draft high and throw that player into the fire the first day. 

That's what I've been saying from the start.  Tank and stockpile draft picks.  

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎21 at 5:41 PM, Crabcakes said:

Much talk today on 650 about Benning's contract which expires at the end of this season.  Jason Brough has written an article in The Athletic (subscription only, so I can't post).

Bottom line, it's based on an interview with Linden on Nov 20 where he said that there was every possibility that Benning's contract may not be resolved until after the season ends.  The question is, why the indecision?  Do you really want a lame duck GM going into the trade deadline or God forbid, the draft?  One or the other of the parties may not be happy.

I just hope that ownership understands that if a team rebuilds, they usually get worse before they get better.  Even if they try to do it on the fly.  The team is much better this year but remains outside the playoffs and is projecting to the low 80's in points.

benning.JPG.9aa7ce3873c9cfe92b263e69102cc606.JPG

Judging what Linden & Benning were saying when he was hired, ownership didn't understand that this team would get worse.  At least, not bottom 3 worst and not for multiple years.  Benning is a polarizing figure because so much of his success/failure is riding on potential.  What do ownership think?  Excited by the prospects or unhappy how the team has fallen?  We don't know but we'll find out by what kind of contract Benning gets.  I figured he'll be resigned for sure but these latest comments are red flags as far as that goes.  If you're happy why wouldn't you heap praise on him, why not resign him before the season started.  

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

benning.JPG.9aa7ce3873c9cfe92b263e69102cc606.JPG

Judging what Linden & Benning were saying when he was hired, ownership didn't understand that this team would get worse.  At least, not bottom 3 worst and not for multiple years.  Benning is a polarizing figure because so much of his success/failure is riding on potential.  What do ownership think?  Excited by the prospects or unhappy how the team has fallen?  We don't know but we'll find out by what kind of contract Benning gets.  I figured he'll be resigned for sure but these latest comments are red flags as far as that goes.  If you're happy why wouldn't you heap praise on him, why not resign him before the season started.  

im curious if jb told ownership a rebuild was needed but they had to publicly say were trying to compete to keep season ticket holders based on our fanbases history of skipping games when the team stinks.

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

does anyone actually think benning will get replaced ?  

i would be shocked if he was.

Team is doing ok and Boeser could win Calder.  Would be weird to fire him, but we have weird owners.

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

im curious if jb told ownership a rebuild was needed but they had to publicly say were trying to compete to keep season ticket holders based on our fanbases history of skipping games when the team stinks.

If JB didn't say that a rebuild is needed in his job interview, then he only has himself to blame for this situation.  

Archived