The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

A lot of people here know that Gudbranson wants to stay. His play shows this, when he has been healthy. I listened to his interviews today and he literally said it "...I love it here...I want to play here...if something can be worked out...". 

The Canucks also want to re-sign Gudbranson. The fact that management's first moves were to acquire Dorsett and Sbisa speaks volumes. The fact that they jumped at the opportunity and gave up what they did for him (basically two 1st round picks) tells you how much they value Guddy. Benning's mantra has always been that he wants a safe working environment. He was not referring to wet floor signs when he said this.

image.png.a1aa79b4e98305656cdd0442f4468f98.png

In the attempt at humor in uploading the wet floor image, it reminded me of those beware of dog signs people use to deter and warn others.

image.png.260401185007ae8e768375cd75017460.png
I love animals and not afraid of dogs but if I see this in a fenced in yard my mindset will change instantly. My attitude, disposition, intention, state of mind etc. will suddenly change.

Gudbranson brings this kind of change in the mindset with his presence. Not only for the opposing team, but for his teammates as well. Hockey people like Benning, Linden, Talon etc. understand what Gudbranson brings to a team. Gudbranson helps greatly in creating a safe working environment in the regular season. He would also come in handy in the playoffs.

He re-signs for between 4-5 mil/yr for 3 to 4 years. The Laffs can keep their grubby hands off our Guddy.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Edler more injured than salo!?!?

well I can't doubt your usual numbers as backup....

I don't know about more or less, but Edler has had a number of seasons where he's missed 30 games....and had pretty serious back problems.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I don't know about more or less, but Edler has had a number of seasons where he's missed 30 games....and had pretty serious back problems.

Indeed.  Certainly his issue has mainly been his back whereas salo injures himself in numerous random ways - unrelated to hockey even

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Indeed.  Certainly his issue has mainly been his back whereas salo injures himself in numerous random ways - unrelated to hockey even

the more I think about it - and that (sad but true) list - the team really needs to have a half dozen top 6 and about another half dozen bottom pairing D.

Maybe we should not only re-sign Gudbranson, but Sbisa as well :ph34r:.  And keep the rest of them. 

That is, if they want to be competetive next year.

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

the more I think about it - and that (sad but true) list - the team really needs to have a half dozen top 6 and about another half dozen bottom pairing D.

Maybe we should not only re-sign Gudbranson, but Sbisa as well :ph34r:.  And keep the rest of them. 

I'll contact Rafael Diaz

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta re-sign Guddy.

We just don't have the depth coming up from the farm on D, and we're not likely going to any time soon. Replacing a player like him in free agency will likely cost more as well.

not sure who is an exact comparison for Guddy this summer But I know Schenn is a UFA 28yr old 1.25m contract. If Gudbranson is going to be deployed on the 3rd pair, I would rather use half the cap space and just get Schenn. He will make the same mistakes but will cost less and wont need term to keep his cap hit down.

Gudbranson 3-5yr  @ 4-4.5m per season

or

Schenn 1-3yrs @ 1.5-2.25m per season

The difference in cap space could be the raise we end up giving Baertschi. We do have cap space but the more we save the more we can spend elsewhere via FA or trade route at the draft.

Schenn is only a -8 in Arizona, to me that seems impressive! was a -9 all of last year with them in a full year

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't know what the 'usual' games lost to injuries is, but we seem to have passed that number, with ease, the last couple of seasons. During Gillis' time, he had some new age ideas to help keep players healthy. Seemed to work, but that might be pure coincidence.

Re Gudbranson.......re-sign him ! Re Sbisa....re-sign him ( MDZ has not been my favourite ). Re AHL depth, I loved McEneny and at the beginning of this season thought he had 20 > 40 Canuck games lined up. Sautner has taken a step up. Blujus ( AHL contract ) seems to be a Cull favourite. Brisebois and Chatfield need to up their game a bit, but they are not behind their expected time line.

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

not sure who is an exact comparison for Guddy this summer But I know Schenn is a UFA 28yr old 1.25m contract. If Gudbranson is going to be deployed on the 3rd pair, I would rather use half the cap space and just get Schenn. He will make the same mistakes but will cost less and wont need term to keep his cap hit down.

Gudbranson 3-5yr  @ 4-4.5m per season

or

Schenn 1-3yrs @ 1.5-2.25m per season

The difference in cap space could be the raise we end up giving Baertschi. We do have cap space but the more we save the more we can spend elsewhere via FA or trade route at the draft.

Schenn is only a -8 in Arizona, to me that seems impressive! was a -9 all of last year with them in a full year

Except Gudbranson is far better at actual hockey, skating etc. Not even a question of who you sign there IMO.

As for the injury discussion above @D-Money, @riffraff, @oldnews, @DeNiro...

On 1/30/2018 at 10:51 AM, aGENT said:

I still say we're better off re-signing him unless him/his agent are adamant he's making in the $5+ and long term territory. Anything around $4m'ish for 4-5'ish years I'm just fine with. And given those injuries etc, I really don't see him getting the giant pay day everyone's afraid of.

As for the injuries, that's pretty much the case for all our top D. Tanev's never played a full season. Edler's played one (6 years ago) and a few high 70's low 80's seasons sprinkled throughout.

That's not likely to change until we're a better team and/or have better D. We've presently got good, not great D playing too many minutes, over their heads on a rebuilding team with forwards who tend to have trouble keeping the puck in the offensive zone that only puts more defensive pressure on those D who were already playing over their heads.

Recipe for injuries.

Getting rid of quality depth from the D by moving Gudbranson is not going to improve that situation.

And that was only made worse by key injuries to our top 2 / top 2 defensive C's, the loss of Dorsett, the loss of Baer etc.

Archived