The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

12 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

Why doesn't Brock get the same kind of hype as some other rookies (Matthews, Laine, etc.)? He's absolutely killing it. It's it just 'cause he played in college first?

Because he plays for the Canucks...and everyone hates the Canucks! That's all!

Had to watch the rest of the game this morning.

Great 60 minute effort by the boys.  Deserved the win as Jones stood on his head multiple times or this one was a walk-over by the Nucks.

After last game there were a number of "righteous" posters telling everyone to just accept that this team was too depleted and lacking talent to compete and to just settle for the inevitable losses.  This game shows what many of us said that this team is better than what we have seen and capable of being competitive on any given night. 

Nice to see Gagner finally kick in and hopefully it gets him some confidence and elevates his game.  Granny had his best game of the year and not just by scoring, he was tenacious even without the puck.

Sedins looked 25.

Gaunce does everything the team needs...except score. Love his game though, and can't wait for him to pot one...literally, I want to see that before I die.

Marky was solid.

Getting the team to up their game like that after the humiliating defeats of this week is a real indicator of Green's coaching abilities.  I was hoping for bonce back game but that effort was better than I expected.

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

One game ?

try 3 years under Willie....as painful to watch as it was

have you you been hiding under a rock this season and only watched last nights game? 16 points in his last 17 

yes, last night's game was my first. thank you for teaching me the ropes.

Funny how fans are desiring the twins to extend after one good game. These guys have neither the speed nor the grit to play down the roster. They can sometimes produce as a top line when Bettman has his posse calling penalties for touching but when the whistles disappear, and they always do in the play-offs or now the third period, it's easy to make the Sedin brothers irrelevant. Their time is up and they, unfortunately will retire without a cup because Bettman is corrupt.

13 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

Great to see hank and danny step it up, they should have done so last game as well... by hopefully they can keep us in the wildcard race, short term till our team is healthier 

Were you only watching them in the Sharks zone? Seriously, they were very poor in the defensive zone.

However I agree they sparkled when we were attacking. Is that enough most nights - I suggest not.

Just gotta say it again. What a great job Green and the assistant coaches have done with this group. Down and out and he pushes the right buttons and got a fantastic effort from the entire team.

A very depleted team at that. Sedins look like they are having fun again and able to use there creativity.(vanek looked good on that line)

looks like the entire team is buying into to Greens message and the trust he has shown his players has built up there confindence.

knowning if a mistake is made it won t mean the end of there night as long as the effort and compete is there.

So refreshing.

3 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Had to watch the rest of the game this morning.

Great 60 minute effort by the boys.  Deserved the win as Jones stood on his head multiple times or this one was a walk-over by the Nucks.

After last game there were a number of "righteous" posters telling everyone to just accept that this team was too depleted and lacking talent to compete and to just settle for the inevitable losses.  This game shows what many of us said that this team is better than what we have seen and capable of being competitive on any given night. 

Nice to see Gagner finally kick in and hopefully it gets him some confidence and elevates his game.  Granny had his best game of the year and not just by scoring, he was tenacious even without the puck.

Sedins looked 25.

Gaunce does everything the team needs...except score. Love his game though, and can't wait for him to pot one...literally, I want to see that before I die.

Marky was solid.

Getting the team to up their game like that after the humiliating defeats of this week is a real indicator of Green's coaching abilities.  I was hoping for bonce back game but that effort was better than I expected.

I'm a die hard but do you actually think last night's game is a true indication of where the team is at? 

I'm one of the fans that said to accept the inevitable losses. 

Missing Horvat, Gudbranson, Tanev, Baertschi, Sutter is a big deal. 

The team is 1-3 in the last 4. 

Do you think yesterday's win is the more likely scenario for the next few games or the previous 3?

To say I told you so after 1 game which went to OT seems a little premature. 

I want the Nucks to fight every game. If they win like yesterday, great. But if they lose, no shame in it either. We were supposed to be near the bottom of the league without those injuries but to miss 2 of our top 4 dmen and 3 of our top 6 forwards is a lot to overcome. 

I do agree though, when we have a full roster, I believe we can bang with the best. 

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Just gotta say it again. What a great job Green and the assistant coaches have done with this group. Down and out and he pushes the right buttons and got a fantastic effort from the entire team.

A very depleted team at that. Sedins look like they are having fun again and able to use there creativity.(vanek looked good on that line)

looks like the entire team is buying into to Greens message and the trust he has shown his players has built up there confindence.

knowning if a mistake is made it won t mean the end of there night as long as the effort and compete is there.

So refreshing.

Seeing Dowd out late in the third was a shock but certainly affirms that Green will play you if you earn it.  Dowd looked pretty solid and green rewarded him in a close and important game.aside from Boeser, Green had been our most valuable asset this year.

He sure is a great guy.  I had the opportunity to play summer hockey with him in Prince George for a couple of games.  Our team’s player/manager, used to be neighbours with him and his brother Randy (who played in the WHA).  Darcy was a real good skater and had an amazing snap shot.  This would have been 1982 or 83, I believe.  He had about 40 goals and forty assists that year, I recall.  He went for some pops with us afterwards.  Great guy to chat with, he had eyes full of energy - I think he really loved to play.  He got a serious neck injury that next season or the next and had to retire.  Darned shame - really friendly, humble guy.  He played on a line with Gradin and Smyl after Curt Fraser was traded.

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm a die hard but do you actually think last night's game is a true indication of where the team is at? 

I'm one of the fans that said to accept the inevitable losses. 

Missing Horvat, Gudbranson, Tanev, Baertschi, Sutter is a big deal. 

The team is 1-3 in the last 4. 

Do you think yesterday's win is the more likely scenario for the next few games or the previous 3?

To say I told you so after 1 game which went to OT seems a little premature. 

I want the Nucks to fight every game. If they win like yesterday, great. But if they lose, no shame in it either. We were supposed to be near the bottom of the league without those injuries but to miss 2 of our top 4 dmen and 3 of our top 6 forwards is a lot to overcome. 

I do agree though, when we have a full roster, I believe we can bang with the best. 

Did I say they were winning the cup?  I said they were better than what we had seen and capable of competing any given night.

Being positive about last night's game doesn't mean I think they are contenders. I did, and do think they are capable of better play than the last 4 which included some bad puck luck and weaker goaltending.

I agree that if they play like that, win or lose i am satisfied. 

I am simply not yet willing to accept your position that losing is inevitable. Perhaps you haven't been a fan long enough to live through the last sc runs where this team came within a breath of winning if all with a bunch if under talented and banged up guys with huge hearts.

It isn't all about talent...If it was, the oilers would have won the cup recently.

Big hits and timely hits are just as big a game/momentum changer as a goal. Biega keeping the guys pumped by flat out leveling some guys and responding to some cheap stuff from burns.

ive always been a fan of his, he knows what his role and plays it perfectly, he doesn’t watch the puck and almost always finishes his checks. Some higher paid dman could learn a lot from lowly biega.

couldnt ask for more out of 7th dman. 

30 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Seeing Dowd out late in the third was a shock but certainly affirms that Green will play you if you earn it.  Dowd looked pretty solid and green rewarded him in a close and important game.aside from Boeser, Green had been our most valuable asset this year.

Yeah for sure.

what I noticed was the sjs dman were physically looking over their shoulders to see if dowd and gaunce were forechecking  they came in hard and fast and took the body and it resulted in turn overs and board battles in the sjs zone. 

They seemed to play a simpler game last night lots of shots not forcing passes.that and taking the body biega leads this team when he’s hitting everything in sight and it was contagious all of a sudden even MDZ is throwing hip checks at Center.

8 minutes ago, combover said:

Yeah for sure.

what I noticed was the sjs dman were physically looking over their shoulders to see if dowd and gaunce were forechecking  they came in hard and fast and took the body and it resulted in turn overs and board battles in the sjs zone. 

They seemed to play a simpler game last night lots of shots not forcing passes.that and taking the body biega leads this team when he’s hitting everything in sight and it was contagious all of a sudden even MDZ is throwing hip checks at Center.

Loved Gaunce's game last night. How many pucks did he strip off SJ? You can see the confidence building in this kid. 

I had to watch the game on PVR at 1AM so I wasn't as pumped up about the result as many on here.

The Canucks came out with ants in their pants and took it to an "okay" team that played the night before. Aside from the first period, I thought the Sharks looked more threatening to score than the Canucks.

It took a Herculean effort to barely beat an average team that played the night before. Good on them for pulling their heads out of their ass for one game, but I can't see them sustaining that level of intensity through the next 5 weeks. That'll be on Green's motivational skills.

1-4 without Horvat.

38 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Did I say they were winning the cup?  I said they were better than what we had seen and capable of competing any given night.

Being positive about last night's game doesn't mean I think they are contenders. I did, and do think they are capable of better play than the last 4 which included some bad puck luck and weaker goaltending.

I agree that if they play like that, win or lose i am satisfied. 

I am simply not yet willing to accept your position that losing is inevitable. Perhaps you haven't been a fan long enough to live through the last sc runs where this team came within a breath of winning if all with a bunch if under talented and banged up guys with huge hearts.

It isn't all about talent...If it was, the oilers would have won the cup recently.

Haha sorry I think I jumped the gun. Absolutely this team is better than what they showed in Nashville. 

They should be able to compete harder. I still think the losses will pile up but yeah, this team should not get embarrassed like Nashville. 

Archived