The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report]  Sharks looking to trade vet D-man Paul Martin

Here is the link from Sportsnet:  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sharks-looking-trade-veteran-defenceman-paul-martin/ 

The 2017-18 campaign has been a tumultuous one for San Jose Sharks defender Paul Martin, as an ankle injury has limited the veteran rearguard to just three games this season. Now nearing a return, it seems Martin could be wearing a different jersey when he takes the ice next.

“Paul Martin has been hurt a lot of this year — he’s back, he’s healthy,” Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said during Hockey Night in Canada’s Headlines segment on Saturday. “They’ve got eight defencemen. He’s got one more year at $4.85 (million) against the cap.

“I do think San Jose is trying to find him another spot in the NHL, and there are people who believe he can still help someone.”

A veteran of 13 seasons in the big leagues, Martin has made his name as a steady presence on the back end, first for the New Jersey Devils and then during a five-year stint for the Pittsburgh Penguins. The 36-year-old joined the Sharks as a free agent prior to the 2015-16 campaign, signing a four-year, $19-million deal.

Martin’s contract carries a modified no-trade clause, according to CapFriendly, allowing the American blue-liner to submit a six-team list of clubs to which he will not be traded.

Though he’s been on the shelf since Dec. 7, the veteran’s track record should be enough to garner interest from defence-starved teams around the league.

Martin has 318 points through 859 career NHL appearances, with 46 of those points coming for San Jose over the past two years. The Minneapolis, Minn. native logged 19:14 minutes per night for the Sharks last season after averaging at least 20 minutes for the previous 12 seasons of his career.

Brent Burns, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Brenden Dillon and Justin Braun have entrenched themselves as the Sharks’ top four on the blue line this season, with Tim Heed, Joakim Ryanand Dylan DeMelo rounding out the group.

More from Sportsnet

Martin is known as the Burns whisperer haha...  so one of their 3 rookies must have made a strong impression to let them move on from Martin.  My bet is on Joakim Ryan, he played with him for a good chunk of games earlier on in the season and Burns wasn't much of a minus player during that run.  Dillon while a decent dman is pretty iffy out there with Burns but his contract might mean he stays for now....   

9 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

all these dmen flush on the market and what does that do for Guddys value?

I imagine Guddy's value won't be impacted too much, Guddy's young, big, heavy, can play a gritty/heavy/defensive game and likely has a lot of hockey left in him.

He won't cost a team as much as Ekman-Larsson so I imagine his price tag won't scare off as many teams and he's four years younger than Hjalmarsson.

That's my take anyway :)

Paul Martin?

Not only did this guy used to be the Prime Minister of Canada but he is an absolute stunner that only a British girl can imagine to lay next to.

Image result

This is not a hockey player.
This is a man.

A man more man than many man.

He is the epitome of human erotica.

He makes what is dry turn wet.
He puts goal in net.

Paul Martin what a lad

2 hours ago, Drew.Doughty said:

Leafs make perfect sense. He's someone Babcock can rely on on the 3rd pairing. Positional sound, blocks shots. Like a Ron Hainsey.

To SJ: 3rd round pick

To TOR: Martin

I would be shocked to see him picked up on waivers.

14 hours ago, Zfetch said:

Paul Martin?

Not only did this guy used to be the Prime Minister of Canada but he is an absolute stunner that only a British girl can imagine to lay next to.

Image result

This is not a hockey player.
This is a man.

A man more man than many man.

He is the epitome of human erotica.

He makes what is dry turn wet.
He puts goal in net.

Paul Martin what a lad

Sorry, what?

16 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

all these dmen flush on the market and what does that do for Guddys value?

Paul Martin is 11 years older than Guddy, is a Lefty if I recall, and doesn't bring the physicality of Gudbranson. The only thing effecting Guddy's value is the fact he is a UFA at the end of the year so I imagine teams will only acquire him if they get an extension in place beforehand like with Burrows. 

7 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Paul Martin is 11 years older than Guddy, is a Lefty if I recall, and doesn't bring the physicality of Gudbranson. The only thing effecting Guddy's value is the fact he is a UFA at the end of the year so I imagine teams will only acquire him if they get an extension in place beforehand like with Burrows. 

wasn't just talking about Martin, there is Ekman-Larsson, Hjalmmarson, Jack Johnson as well...  

Archived