The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation/Rumor] Canucks on the twins future and Gudbranson

This Gudbranson news is so conflicting lol.  I like his size and toughness but man he hasn't looked like what he was in Flordia until the last game he played lol.  I want to trust Jim's decision making but his contract extensions with some of the guys has been a little uncomfortable lol.  I want to believe. I will believe.  I just hope its good term and good dollar.  If we can ink him to a reasonable low contract and he really comes into his form he could be on a very good contract.  Chris Tanev took a good haircut I hope Gudbranson takes a similar cut.  The media pressure on Gudbranson has experienced and the failure of Eriksson to live up to his contract are all good lessons for Erik. 

you do not want to be the eriksson on D lol.  Weird seeing Scott Rintoul on the intermission broadcast.  I guess he jumped ship? No longer calling lion games? I use to love his post game shows lol.  He has good chemistry with IMac.  I will have to read all the posts here a bit later. I only was reading the post that had the twins to sjs added onto it lol.

Gudbranson may not bring in it the regular season as much as everyone wants. But he is the exact type of player you win with in the playoffs.  He's the guy you want to be going into war with. And to me thats worth a lot. Especially when it counts. I do agree though anything over 4 is a overpayment. Even if it is slightly over 4 just keep him but anything over 425,000 he's gotta go. 

sounds like to me that everyone involved in making plans and decisions in the canucks future plans is flying under the seat of their pants.... anything goes, what happens is what happens...here is what i think will happen.. vanek and gud stays... the twins stays, and either benning gets a new contract for a couple of years... or ownership steps in and says no...we want you to be strictly player development. linden did get it right when he said things are improving and going in the right direction, but how much longer will it take and do the owners see things the way linden does. As a fan i see major improvements. The owners can't afford a rebuild...they want a retool. The past couple of years us fans have been lucky to see the owners sink money to the max for the team...when does that luxury start to dwindle.... oh well lets see what happens ....

5 hours ago, CaptainKool said:

Im worried another Eriksson's type of contract =X

I dont think we'll see anything like that, unless Kane is a target.

Im sort of on the Kane bandwagon, as the Canucks should be sitting fairly comfortable within the cap for a good number of years here.  Even with Boesers extension..

All the talk for push back...  People don't like Kanes attitude, but it's a big part of what he brings on the ice in the for of chippiness, and a dude that wont back down from anybody.  The Canucks would die for a presence like this in the top six.  I dont believe in Virtanen becoming a top 6 player, and I think the franchise needs to move on from that dream.

This kind of player should be a huge target for them, but I dont think they should give up youth to make it happen....  Just hope that whomever acquires him is okay with letting him go to free agency, where I do think Vancouver will be significant players on Kane.

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Benning needs to realize a player like that isn't worth 4+ million though.

Toughness like that can be found on league minimum contracts.

Yeah, ones that play 4-5 minutes per game, if at all.  Same argument made against Sutter and Sbisa -- oh, you can just sign guys like that cheap in free agency.

Benning (and the league) are far more knowledgeable what Gudbranson-like players are worth.  If it was league minimum there would be ZERO interest in acquiring him.

14 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Pretty scared to think what JB might be willing to pay EG

At the same time, with his 62 games played in the past 2 years, and missing at least 10 games in 6 of his 7 nhl season, he doesn't have a lot of leverage.  I don't think teams will be lining up July 1st and throwing 6-7 years deals north of 5M$, due to his inactivity/injuries. 

He's only 26, I think he could accept a 2/3/4 years deal to try to raise his stock in the next few years and hit the market before he's still 30 or less.  If he signs for 3 years and the Canucks make good/constant progression in that time, he could position himself really well for UFA in 2021.

Everyone saying he isn't worth more than 4/yr are only half right. It depends on term as well. If it's over 4 for 4 to 5 years then no. If it's over 4 for 2 to 3 years then yes. 

He brings a lot to the team both tangible and intangible. If we sign him for 2 to 3 and he gets hurt then it won't hurt us as bad. 

I trust JB makes the right decision. I also trust that EG will ask for something reasonable to stay in Vancouver. 

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Benning needs to realize a player like that isn't worth 4+ million though.

Toughness like that can be found on league minimum contracts.

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah, ones that play 4-5 minutes per game, if at all.  Same argument made against Sutter and Sbisa -- oh, you can just sign guys like that cheap in free agency.

Benning (and the league) are far more knowledgeable what Gudbranson-like players are worth.  If it was league minimum there would be ZERO interest in acquiring him.

Pretty much. 

Guys who can play 2nd pair minutes, situations etc, pk and have the 2nd highest pdo of anyone on our D do not get signed for league minimum.

Preposterous. 

Yeah, he's been out a lot with injury and has occasionally struggled to play 'his game' when actually playing. That should keep the cost down a bit but it's not going to reduce his value to anything remotely resembling 'league minimum'. 

I don't think he signs under 4M$, I mean all the comparable are there.

Tanev signed for 4.45M$ in 2015

Alexei Emelin was driven out of MTL because of his contract at 4.1M$ and now leads Nashville in +/- defenseman

Brook Orpiks got 5.5M$

Marc Methot 4.9M$

Radko Gudas 3.35M$ (I think Gudbransson have way more hockey sense/abilities then Gudas)

Nicklas Hjalmarsson 4.1M$

Pretty confident it will be between 4-5M, which to me is fair....the only thing that will make it a bad contract is term.

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

Alexei Emelin was driven out of MTL because of his contract at 4.1M$ and now leads Nashville in +/- defenseman

Brook Orpiks got 5.5M$

Marc Methot 4.9M$

Radko Gudas 3.35M$ (I think Gudbransson have way more hockey sense/abilities then Gudas)

Pretty confident it will be between 4-5M, which to me is fair....the only thing that will make it a bad contract is term.

Gudbranson WILL be overpaid. The Canucks, or elsewhere. He has most criteria working on his behalf.

--UFA

--Right hand shot

--Tough, character player that can give a team 18+ minutes in a 3rd pairing and move up to 2nd pairing on occasion.

--Loyal to team mates. Can, and will, stand up to the 'bully boys' of the NHL.

In my mind he signs around 4.5 mil with a 4 year deal.

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Brook Orpiks got 5.5M$

Marc Methot 4.9M$

Emelin is just under 3M in Nashville - Vegas retained part of his salary.  With Ellis back his ice time has dropped from 19min a night to 16min.  

Ekholm signed 6 years (1 RFA and 5 UFA seasons) for 3.75M.  

Archived