The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dalhousie racially based hiring

Duds

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dalhousie-university-recruitment-management-racially-visible-indigenous-1.4531723

Dalhousie University is restricting its search for a new senior position to racially visible and Indigenous candidates in an effort to make the institution more diverse.”

I believe “racially visible” is newspeak for “not white.” Because racial discrimination against white people is a celebration of diversity. Because it’s 2018.

Thoughts? Am I an old man sitting on my porch telling the young progressives to get off my lawn? This reminds me of Dear Leader Justin and his refusal to hire men in order to achieve a balanced cabinet. When is discrimination OK?

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yup, that's pretty racist. But it's okay because they are being racist towards white people. -_-

It's JT's Canada. :angry:

This isn’t just JT’s Canada.. this sort of stuff was happening when the Conservatives were in charge.

But yes you are correct, as long as it’s against white people, then it is okay.

It’s complete BS.. discrimination is discrimination.. Ethnicity should never be a requirement for a job, or an apprenticeship or anything!

Could you imagine if it was "we are not hiring visible minorities at this time"

All hell would break loose.  People should be hired based on their qualifications.  PERIOD.  Hating on white people  is the new fad these days.   Its ok to be discriminatory towards white people in today's world.  

25 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Ugh.... this is not equality....

Equality should be equal opportunity. This is not equal opportunity.

100% this. One of my biggest pet peeves is the idea that equality is favouring oppressed groups. Equality is equal opportunity regardless of sex, age, race, etc. No favouritism. You hire the best employees and you get a team of white men? Fine. You look for a new CEO and your top three candidates are all black women? Fine. But don't specifically target groups in order to create some sort of "equality". That is the very definition of discrimination.

35 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Public funded  institutions do need to represent the ethnicity of  their communities.  Senior positions as well.

Just the way it is. 

The best teachers, regardless of ethnicity, should be hired to give the students, represented by the population, the best education possible. I don't care where my teacher comes from so long as I am getting the best education that I am paying for. I am there to learn, not to view some "ethnic diversity display".

(*editted a bit because I disagreed with my first sentence after I wrote it lol)

Are people complaining about the fact that an educational institution with 1.9% of employees who are indigenous is now hiring more indigenous people? Have people forgotten about the struggles and strife that indigenous populations have suffered through? Have they forgotten about the history of education in this country involving aboriginal children? Have they forgotten about residential schools? Have they forgotten the damage that was done and the anger and mistrust it created? 

It is our own racist and oppressive history that is a big part of why many indigenous people choose not to pursue further education. And yet people have a problem with a university trying to make itself appear less of a "white man's institution". So instead of 2% of employees who are of native descent, maybe it will be 3%, you still have 97% of jobs available for everyone else. This person you hire also becomes a voice for you to reach indigenous communities and impress upon the value of education and assure them that the university campus is safe for all students. 

To those that have a big problem with this I have a question. If I own a business and find out that 30% of my customers are Chinese, hence I decide to hire 30% employees who are Chinese. Would this be considered racist hiring policy or just a smart business decision? 

13 minutes ago, Toews said:

Are people complaining about the fact that an educational institution with 1.9% of employees who are indigenous is now hiring more indigenous people? Have people forgotten about the struggles and strife that indigenous populations have suffered through? Have they forgotten about the history of education in this country involving aboriginal children? Have they forgotten about residential schools? Have they forgotten the damage that was done and the anger and mistrust it created? 

It is our own racist and oppressive history that is a big part of why many indigenous people choose not to pursue further education. And yet people have a problem with a university trying to make itself appear less of a "white man's institution". So instead of 2% of employees who are of native descent, maybe it will be 3%, you still have 97% of jobs available for everyone else. This person you hire also becomes a voice for you to reach indigenous communities and impress upon the value of education and assure them that the university campus is safe for all students. 

To those that have a big problem with this I have a question. If I own a business and find out that 30% of my customers are Chinese, hence I decide to hire 30% employees who are Chinese. Would this be considered racist hiring policy or just a smart business decision? 

It’s not the fact that they are hiring native people at all, it’s that fact that they are advertising native people only, that is discrimination. If any company put in their Job Posting “Must be Caucasian” then this would be a huge deal in all the media.

Hiring someone who may be less qualified for the job because of race is 100% discrimination. It happens, and you’ll never get away from it since there is a lot of racism in society. But you can claim ignorance there, but if you post must be this race, then you’re blatantly being discrimitory. 

1 hour ago, Whaleroad Train said:

To all those feeling indignation over this issue, remember that how you feel about it being unfair, is how minority groups have felt for the last one hundred years. 

So instead of taking a step forward and hiring the best candidate possible, no matter what their race or sex, we take a step sideways and shift racism to another group... then call it progress...

The marginalized groups who fought for equality over the last 150 years didn't fight for this

1 hour ago, Toews said:

It's 100% a racist hiring policy cloaked in an excuse of "smart business"... and it's not even smart if you are refusing to hire better qualified candidates because they aren't Chinese.

My 0.02$

if I knew I was hired because I was of a certain race and not because I was actually a better candidate for that position than all the other applicants,  I would never feel totally confident in myself as an individual or employee.

secondly.  Said person now has to work in an environment where everybody knows the reasons behind the hiring.  Should be fun in the lunch room.

Archived