The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Chris Tanev's future as a Canuck, and Adam Gaudette

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

At the moment I think Tanev is worth a bottom half 1st round pick with a quality prospect coming back. If thr ends up being a bidding war then maybe a young roster player coming back aswell to sweeten a deal. 

Considering Tanevs injury history, expecting anything more thn that thn your probably delusional.

4 hours ago, Slegr said:

If we lose Tanev, we will not get great value for him, but our defensiven play will drop big time and we will lose tons of more games for several more seasons. 

You don't trade a player like Tanev no matter where your team is in standings or its building cycle. His injuries are being grossly exagerated. In the past five seasons, he has played 53, 69, 70, and 64 game seasons. With all the top line minutes he eats, that is plenty of games. Im guessing he is the only plus player on the team this season and last season. He doesnt get scored on. We need to keep that guy.

That is not a lot of games. Look at Bouwmeester and his legendary iron-man streak. Staying healthy is a skill, and Tanev doesn't have it. We need the potential returns much more than we need his 17 missed games per year. (thats more than 1/5th of the season).

Just fyi last years blocked shots stats

Edler 40th 

Sbisa 52nd 

Bouwmeester 80th (111 BS)

Hutton (106 BS)

Tanev 118th (91 BS) 

8 hours ago, Yotes said:

Canucks are not getting Makar or Heiskanen back for Tanev. You are dillusional if you think that will happen. They were recent top 5 picks, both will be contributing to their nhl teams in 2 years max.

Tanev for a 1st and prospect D on a deep team. COL & DAL need their only good young D not trade them for a 28yr old injured d man. 

That is basically a 2nd and a prospect for the best defensive dman in the game. Not even close to good enough unless that D prospect is a top prospect like Heiskanen

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

So a late 1st and a Dermott type?  Think you might be the delusional one.

That's Gudbransons value on a good day.  High end defensive prospect for an top 3 ready defender isn't that far off.  You pay for a player ready now.  He would help them immediately and fit in their group well being a similar age.

A high quality forward prospect seems more likely imo as there are many more of them then high quality D. Adding with Tanev would be fine too if we got a promising dman. 

Toss in a Granlund type or goldobin if you don't see him a long term fit. (If they are hesitant) if u really covet the asset.  I'm fine with overpayment if the chance has a good chance of being a key piece. Top 3 defenders are just that.

Did I ever mention Toronto? 

The fact is no matter how good we all think Tanev is, he is a very injury prone player. That alone will affect his trade value.

Tanev should get moved as he would net us the best return, but I highly doubt it would pry a top tier D prospect from the 2 teams you mentioned. Colorado is having a breakout year, but they are still on a rebuild and wont mortgage someone like Makar for a 28 yr old D. Dal wont trade prized prospect Heiskanen, they need him long term on that team.

I think a team with a deep team and abundance of prospects or picks would be a team I would target in hopes of garnering a big return or Tanev. Tampa Bay is my first choice as they are deep with prospects who they can afford to trade. NYI have lots of picks this upcoming draft and some decent prospects.

Toronto, I just stay they hell away from trading with them, I dont want to help them at all.

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

That is basically a 2nd and a prospect for the best defensive dman in the game. Not even close to good enough unless that D prospect is a top prospect like Heiskanen

Where are you getting 2nd round pick from? There is no way Dallas is trading Heiskanen, people can dream but there is just no damn way it will happen, they need him they have no quality high end D up and coming....

Lol thought this was going to be a trade Tanev so Gaudette can wear his number 8 thread.  I love Tanev but he's our biggest trade chip and we need to cash in while he's still relatively healthy and valuable.  Don't be too concerned about where he goes, just take the best return whether its from Edmonton, Toronto, etc. 

Can't believe Gaudette fell in the 5th round!  This is why I hated all the trades Benning made were he threw in 'sweetner' draft picks like the Pouliot deal.  He should never be allowed to trade another pick againB).

9 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Lol thought this was going to be a trade Tanev so Gaudette can wear his number 8 thread.  I love Tanev but he's our biggest trade chip and we need to cash in while he's still relatively healthy and valuable.  Don't be too concerned about where he goes, just take the best return whether its from Edmonton, Toronto, etc. 

Can't believe Gaudette fell in the 5th round!  This is why I hated all the trades Benning made were he threw in 'sweetner' draft picks like the Pouliot deal.  He should never be allowed to trade another pick againB).

#fakenews

13 hours ago, wildcam said:

Foote was top 20 pick last year?? You will not get Foote 19, 6'5, GP 55, PTs 63 Kelowna 

Along with this years 1st round pick.... Nobody will give 2 first round picks for Tanev who is hurt lots..

Maybe Foote and a young prospect on farm....

Like your idea but that would be a heavy price tag.. Us Canuck fans always think are players are worth more..

And who would have guessed Burrows could land us a prospect like Dahlen? Maybe you undervalue our players.

4 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

And who would have guessed Burrows could land us a prospect like Dahlen? Maybe you undervalue our players.

To be fair, most of the trade suggestions on here are heavy in our favour. Trades like Burrows for Dahlen are the exception, not the rule. So in theory, Tanev COULD get us Foote and their 1st but there's probably a 99% chance he doesn't. Personally, I'd be willing to add a 3rd round pick if it made a difference. Even then, I'd say Yzerman says no. Foote isn't even a year removed from being drafted 14th OA. 

14 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

To be fair, most of the trade suggestions on here are heavy in our favour. Trades like Burrows for Dahlen are the exception, not the rule. So in theory, Tanev COULD get us Foote and their 1st but there's probably a 99% chance he doesn't. Personally, I'd be willing to add a 3rd round pick if it made a difference. Even then, I'd say Yzerman says no. Foote isn't even a year removed from being drafted 14th OA. 

13 hours ago, wildcam said:

Foote was top 20 pick last year?? You will not get Foote 19, 6'5, GP 55, PTs 63 Kelowna 

Along with this years 1st round pick.... Nobody will give 2 first round picks for Tanev who is hurt lots..

Maybe Foote and a young prospect on farm....

Like your idea but that would be a heavy price tag.. Us Canuck fans always think are players are worth more..

And yet others feel it not nearly enough :lol:

16 hours ago, Zfetch said:

That's an awful trade

10 hours ago, Zfetch said:

One unproven middle of the line prospect and one 2nd rounder is not an adequate return for Tanev.

* And that's a 1st rounder FWIW. 31 teams = 31 picks/round.

5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Where I stand with Tanev is a top quality A1 D prospect would have to be part of the return. Or a top 15 pick. If a deal doesn't start there then I'd rather we keep him. 

3 hours ago, Yotes said:

Where are you getting 2nd round pick from? There is no way Dallas is trading Heiskanen, people can dream but there is just no damn way it will happen, they need him they have no quality high end D up and coming....

I said the high first round pick from the lightly which was said to be 31st overall is basically a 2nd. Dallas is in a win now mode and Tanev makes Dallas a much better team. If you want to win now and acquire the best defensive dman in the game you need to pay for it. Dallas can go big in free agency and target Doughty of Karlsson to make up for losing Heiskanen who may just be a dud, who knows.

Tanev to the Oilers for Maroon and their 2018 1st round pick?

i love what Tanev brings but he’s too fragile, period. We need a heavy hitting scorer that influences similar type players, like Virtanen, and Maroon fills that role. The Oilers 2018 1st round pick is a huge ask, which puts this proposal into doubt, but maybe Nicholson is referring to Tanev as their target for a top defenseman?

3 minutes ago, NutsBoutNucks said:

Tanev to the Oilers for Maroon and their 2018 1st round pick?

i love what Tanev brings but he’s too fragile, period. We need a heavy hitting scorer that influences similar type players, like Virtanen, and Maroon fills that role. The Oilers 2018 1st round pick is a huge ask, which puts this proposal into doubt, but maybe Nicholson is referring to Tanev as their target for a top defenseman?

I would be into a trade to Edmonton involving there first. Not sure if Tanev would waive for there though. 

36 minutes ago, rekker said:

Where I stand with Tanev is a top quality A1 D prospect would have to be part of the return. Or a top 15 pick. If a deal doesn't start there then I'd rather we keep him. 

That's more than fair. The trade I would like to avoid would be a handful of mid level assets kind of like what Colorado got for Duchene. Although, they got quite a few assets so I wouldn't say they lost that trade by any means. But quality over quantity. We need 1 big asset in any trade. Otherwise I'd rather just hang onto Tanev. 

Archived