The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings looking for mid-level scoring winger

The_Rocket

9 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Vanek for ??   ... get him back on the rebound.

Did something change with the rules? I thought the current CBA prevented teams from re-signing rentals as UFA's. I thought you had to wait a full season before a team is eligible to sign any player they've traded as a UFA.

2 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Did something change with the rules? I thought the current CBA prevented teams from re-signing rentals as UFA's. I thought you had to wait a full season before a team is eligible to sign any player they've traded as a UFA.

I have never heard of that. They're UFA they can sign with whoever you want. I think you are thinking about matching an offer sheet on RFA's. They can't be traded until next year.

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

I have never heard of that. They're UFA they can sign with whoever you want. I think you are thinking about matching an offer sheet on RFA's. They can't be traded until next year.

... or perhaps thinking of the buy-out agreement...  buy a player out of his contract and you can’t resign him.. think it’s a year ?  Perhaps 2.

Guys, they're not going to trade a top prospect like Clague, or a guy already contributing for them like Ladue.

I'd target Mikey Anderson. 4th round pick of theirs last year, who played well for Team USA at the WJCs. He's a few years away, and the success of guys like Clague and Ladue may make him somewhat expendable.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Guys, they're not going to trade a top prospect like Clague, or a guy already contributing for them like Ladue.

I'd target Mikey Anderson. 4th round pick of theirs last year, who played well for Team USA at the WJCs. He's a few years away, and the success of guys like Clague and Ladue may make him somewhat expendable.

True. But I wonder if they would do a Bearschi for Clague. Bear would be a longer term, affordable scoring winger for them.

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

True. But I wonder if they would do a Bearschi for Clague. Bear would be a longer term, affordable scoring winger for them.

I doubt it. Teams don't usually give up their absolute top prospects who are on the cusp. But most teams are usually willing to deal a secondary guy who is farther away from what they consider a position of strength.

A good example of this is Ottawa dealing Jonathan Dahlen. He was a promising prospect for them, but still behind Colin White, Logan Brown, and the suddenly surging Filip Chlapik. So it was easier for Benning to pry Dahlen out of there, even though he may end up better than one or two of the other guys.

Even going back to one of the worst deadline deals of all time, when Washington traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat. At the time, Washington had Kuznetsov, Johansson, and Eakin in the system, who were all doing well and closer to contributing. So they probably viewed Forsberg as somewhat expendable...big mistake.

31 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I doubt it. Teams don't usually give up their absolute top prospects who are on the cusp. But most teams are usually willing to deal a secondary guy who is farther away from what they consider a position of strength.

A good example of this is Ottawa dealing Jonathan Dahlen. He was a promising prospect for them, but still behind Colin White, Logan Brown, and the suddenly surging Filip Chlapik. So it was easier for Benning to pry Dahlen out of there, even though he may end up better than one or two of the other guys.

Even going back to one of the worst deadline deals of all time, when Washington traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat. At the time, Washington had Kuznetsov, Johansson, and Eakin in the system, who were all doing well and closer to contributing. So they probably viewed Forsberg as somewhat expendable...big mistake.

I can agree. Goldy from San Jose is another example.

Archived