The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I like your optimism, and I love the way Motte plays, but when the expansion draft comes we will probably lose a player who is significantly more painful to lose than Motte, unless JB chooses to cut a deal with Seattle to give them some prospects/futures.

Losing only a 4th line forward, even an elite one like Motte, would be a huge win in the ED.

We saw with the Vegas expansion draft teams doing more harm than good trying to make side deals to protect other players.  Best not to overthink the expansion draft, the Canucks are going to lose a player no matter what.  Why make that multiple players/assets?  Seattle is not going to take a deal that would result in them getting worse value.

Give them a pick to only take Reid Boucher and then watch Boucher go off for 40 goals in his first season with Seattle ;)  

Motte - Beagle - Schaller have been our most consistent line all season long (when they're healthy of course) 

19 hours ago, #Canucks said:

I believe it was mostly Compher but Connor played “C” as well. Motte played RW and was very strong on the RW. Their line was called the “CCM Line”.

What a great name for the line! 

1 hour ago, wloutet said:

Back in the 50's we used to call the CCM bicycle the "Craziest Crate Made"  !!

If you were around in the 50s, that means that you're in your 80s?  My dad just turned 80 and he's struggling with replying by a text message, let alone using a message board, so good job on keeping up! 

18 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

If you were around in the 50s, that means that you're in your 80s?  My dad just turned 80 and he's struggling with replying by a text message, let alone using a message board, so good job on keeping up! 

Well that depends on how old he was in the 50s. Could be in his late 60s still theoretically.

12 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I like your optimism, and I love the way Motte plays, but when the expansion draft comes we will probably lose a player who is significantly more painful to lose than Motte, unless JB chooses to cut a deal with Seattle to give them some prospects/futures.

Losing only a 4th line forward, even an elite one like Motte, would be a huge win in the ED.

Vegas also took a bunch of 3rd/4th liners and made a threat out of them. They turned a "3rd" liner in William Karlsson into a 40 goal scorer. Motte has had a history of offensive success playing on the right line. Players like Burrows weren't expected to be as good as they should be. I'm not saying Motte would get there, but at worst he's helped sparked the 4th line and is the top hitter on our team which would be tougher for us to play against right in our division.

You're right that though that it could be worse than to lose a 4th liner, so I rather cut our losses here than to make a side deal.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, wloutet said:

I am actually 72. I was teaching Math up to Nov 6 of this year (2019). I was in my 50th year of teaching having started teaching in Vancouver in 1970. Because the Vancouver Canucks started in Vancouver in 1970, I had always vowed to keep teaching until they won the Stanley Cup. I don't think I can hang on.....

A few years younger but have been with the Canucks since the beginning. Tell my kids they cannot bury me until the Canucks win a CUP! I made the mistake of buying my son a Oilers jersey at a Van game back in the '80's and he has been a Oiler's fan since. He confessed at X-Mass that he is straddling both camps right now. So disappointed in the Oilers that he is almost ready to make the full move. :towel:

Love Motte by the way.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2019 at 10:07 AM, wloutet said:

I am actually 72. I was teaching Math up to Nov 6 of this year (2019). I was in my 50th year of teaching having started teaching in Vancouver in 1970. Because the Vancouver Canucks started in Vancouver in 1970, I had always vowed to keep teaching until they won the Stanley Cup. I don't think I can hang on.....

Well if you tutor someone in math then it would still qualify, so keep going!  I finished my math degree at SFU and thought about getting into teaching.  Tutoring kids 1 on 1 was fine, but I volunteered at the Aboriginal center in East Van for a while and having 10 kids around just showed me that a career in teaching wasn't for me!  

Imagine If they win the Cup this year...  B)

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Motte is probably one of the best 4th liners in the entire NHL.  He's getting a big raise next year I think...

Not yet I think. He's scored 3 points in 12 games. I do agree that he'll be getting a raise at this rate, but I don't think it's going to be huge. I'd expect it to to be maybe $1.5M (he's at 975k right now). However, if he scores at a 25-point pace or more, then we're probably looking at over $2M per year.

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not yet I think. He's scored 3 points in 12 games. I do agree that he'll be getting a raise at this rate, but I don't think it's going to be huge. I'd expect it to to be maybe $1.5M (he's at 975k right now). However, if he scores at a 25-point pace or more, then we're probably looking at over $2M per year.

For a 4th liner a big raise would be from 975k to $1.5 million...  :)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I have a hunch that Motte could end up being a player that moves up the lineup as his career progresses.

He has all the tools (forecheck, physical play, above average skating, shot) to be a nice complimentary player that can fit with other skilled guys on a scoring line.

During Burrows first years in the League I don't think anyone would have predicted he would end up a top line player. I see similar potential for Motte and, again, good job pro scouts on identifying a quality asset at the trade deadline!  

• Cheers 1

What if the canucks are waiting for you to stop teaching before they win it????? 

:ph34r: