The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Finally getting his due. He's been one of our top 5 skaters so far. The guy has been absolutely relentless. Winning races to the puck, hitting, causing turnovers, blocking shots, hes doing at least one of those EVERY shift

He's been the 4th line engine all season long and all year I kept reading posts here about sitting him, trading him and/or letting him walk this summer. You win with guys like Motte on your 4th line. So long as he signs a reasonable deal, he's here for the long haul (and is far better than the late 3rd/4th pick people wanted instead).

People that don't appreciate what a player like Motte brings to a team should maybe go find another sport lol

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's been the 4th line engine all season long and all year I kept reading posts here about sitting him, trading him and/or letting him walk this summer. You win with guys like Motte on your 4th line. So long as he signs a reasonable deal, he's here for the long haul (and is far better than the late 3rd/4th pick people wanted instead).

People that don't appreciate what a player like Motte brings to a team should maybe go find another sport lol

Yah I've always been a huge fan of Motte.  I always have a soft spot for players that can skate and uses their body a lot.  Motte does that more than almost anyone.  Such a competitor.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Man what a game for Motte.  

Kid is proving his worth in spades right now. 

I Love You GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants - Find & Share on GIPHY

Already has proven more than worthy of being a part of the core. 25(only a couple months older than Bo).

One of JB's biggest trade wins. We pretty much got him for free.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Already has proven more than worthy of being a part of the core. 25(only a couple months older than Bo).

Lol such a workhorse, and we got him for an aging Thomas Vanek.
Great asset to pick up, and his speed to burn sure helps against the "heavy Blues"

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Man what a game for Motte.  

Kid is proving his worth in spades right now. 

I Love You GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants - Find & Share on GIPHY

He's playing like he wants to be part of the young core going forward. These playoffs are probably his coming out party, now he knows hes a vital part of this team, not just a spare part. Lucky for us we have him for another year for a really affordable cap hit

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol such a workhorse, and we got him for an aging Thomas Vanek.
Great asset to pick up, and his speed to burn sure helps against the "heavy Blues"

2 seasons ago, nobody knew if Motte was an NHLer. One of those tweener guys that nobody was sold on. Great example of a guy throwing his ego out the door, accepting that he's not high scorer in this league, but fully accepting a less glorious, but specialized role to stay in the league

• Like 1

Motte always brings lots of energy and speed to the lineup..Remember the trade at the deadline not making Blue Jackets lineup and coming to Vancouver and making the team his first year.... His PK is top notch and I can see him moving up lineup for energy and spark in games..

Look at the ice time he has had lately. Need guys the bring there A game every night.

Motte will be a player we will need to resign this October.

2 yrs X 1.4 million? Motte is making a good case for pay increase...

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

B-but we should have got a late 3rd! 

#fail-Benning

• Haha 1

I'd start thinking we should just put Motte out there to check ROR, he's basically our best shutdown forward at the moment. Love Horvat but defensively ROR has the better of him whereas for whatever reason, the smaller Motte just has a step on everyone. His stick-work is getting better and better.

Got to think back to guys like Chris Higgins and even Hansen who were massive in the playoffs but comparatively, Motte's been even better. 

I said it before and I'll say it again, play Motte in our top-6 in a checking/defensive role with Horvat and Pearson and see what happens. Motte can battle in the corners to win puck battles for the other two. Leave the top line skilled, the 2nd line as a grinding scoring line.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd start thinking we should just put Motte out there to check ROR, he's basically our best shutdown forward at the moment. Love Horvat but defensively ROR has the better of him whereas for whatever reason, the smaller Motte just has a step on everyone. His stick-work is getting better and better.

Got to think back to guys like Chris Higgins and even Hansen who were massive in the playoffs but comparatively, Motte's been even better. 

I said it before and I'll say it again, play Motte in our top-6 in a checking/defensive role with Horvat and Pearson and see what happens. Motte can battle in the corners to win puck battles for the other two. Leave the top line skilled, the 2nd line as a grinding scoring line.

I'd stick him on either Jaden Schwartz or David Perron, since his speed and feistiness can definitely give them troubles.
Not sure I'd want him as a center though (guys tend to check their positional counterpart)

Edited by Phil_314

13 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

He's playing like he wants to be part of the young core going forward. These playoffs are probably his coming out party, now he knows hes a vital part of this team, not just a spare part. Lucky for us we have him for another year for a really affordable cap hit

Unfortunately not, he's RFA at the end of this year and playing his way to a decent raise.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nah, last time we played him over 24 minutes, he was gassed. The style he plays can't go on for more ice time, he just gives it his all every shift.

It seems we do better when we aren't trying to play matchups but rather forcing them to make a decision to match with us or not. That's why the switch of EP and Bo was effective as they had to decide which line ROR had to face.

Shutdown by committee rather than having a single player/line do so.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Unfortunately not, he's RFA at the end of this year and playing his way to a decent raise.

Not sure what kind of sample size you see him having to warrant a big raise...
His career high is 16 points and that was one game.  It's entirely possible that he'll most he'll be a Tambellini or Jeff Cowan offensively but unless he's the next Burrows it's hard to imagine much north of $1 million.  Even Burrows got a $2 million show-me deal.

Edited by Phil_314

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Not sure what kind of sample size you see him having to warrant a big raise...
His career high is 16 points and that was one game.  It's entirely possible that he'll most he'll be a Tambellini or Jeff Cowan offensively but unless he's the next Burrows it's hard to imagine much north of $1 million.  Even Burrows got a $2 million show-me deal.

He's making 975k now. I think he will get 1.5 million on his next contract. That would be a 50% raise, which sounds like a decent raise to me.

He provides so much more than just points.

• Like 2