The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Talon forced to move Second-round pick Adam Mascherin (won't sign with Panthers before draft)

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/adam_mascherin_will_not_sign_with_florida_panthers/s1_14825_26000288

Tucked away in Craig Custance’s piece for The Athletic (subscription required) is a report that Florida Panthers prospect Adam Mascherin will not sign with the team before the draft, forcing Dale Tallon to shop him around trying to get some sort of value out of the second-round pick.

Mascherin is having another strong season for the Kitchener Rangers, where he has collected 40 goals and 86 points in 67 games. He was selected 38th overall in 2016 but will likely re-enter the draft if he doesn’t sign. That’s an interesting move for a player who was already selected relatively high and has attended Panthers prospect camps in the past.

As undersized players are welcomed more and more into the league, perhaps Mascherin feels he can find an even better situation for his professional career. The 5-9 forward possesses an elite shot and is a talented goal scorer who plays much heavier than he is. He’s recorded at least 35 goals in three straight OHL seasons and even broke 100 points last year. Despite that, he has never been included on the Canadian World Junior squad and does have some who doubt that he’ll be able to create offense at the same rate as he progresses through the pro ranks.

Mascherin.jpg

I was hoping Benning would have drafted him a few years back, but unfortunately we didn't have a second round pick that year. 

I'd be willing to do Hutton for Mascherin, straight up or Bärtschi for Mascherin and a 3rd.

Gotta love it when a prospect leaves an organization after they’ve spent hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in scouting that player, bringing him into the camps, meeting with management, coaches, and trainers.

What a stand up guy.

He actually regressed in points in the OHL and doesn't perform that well in the playoffs. I am not interested unless the price is like a 6th rounder or something. Don't have a roster spot for a 5 feet 9 player when our lineup is already soft like it is. 

35 minutes ago, Monty said:

Gotta love it when a prospect leaves an organization after they’ve spent hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in scouting that player, bringing him into the camps, meeting with management, coaches, and trainers.

What a stand up guy.

Bingo - no touch. Horvat, Boeser, and a lot of youth have stand up character.  Even Gaudette who could wait a year and forget us, said he wants to play for the team that believed him from the start.  These young guys who are even in the show need to understand that these are the type of things you don't want to stand out for.

Really wish they would change the rules about drafted players and their ability to “not to sign”.

Maybe if a player doesn’t sign with his draft team he isn’t eligible to get nhl ufa status until he’s 22 years old. 

It’s only a matter of time until it effects us negatively. 

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Really wish they would change the rules about drafted players and their ability to “not to sign”.

Maybe if a player doesn’t sign with his draft team he isn’t eligible to get nhl ufa status until he’s 22 years old. 

It’s only a matter of time until it effects us negatively. 

These are kids who have proven nothing imo and should be thrilled to be selected by any NHL team. If he was an undrafted player and went through college....sure pick your team you want to play for but to boycott signing for a team is just flat out ignorant in my opinion. Does he think he is too good to play for the Panthers? Maybe Arizona will draft him now HAHA.

Might end up in Europs soon there kiddo making peanuts compared to an NHL contract if you aren't careful!

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

These are kids who have proven nothing imo and should be thrilled to be selected by any NHL team. If he was an undrafted player and went through college....sure pick your team you want to play for but to boycott signing for a team is just flat out ignorant in my opinion. Does he think he is too good to play for the Panthers? Maybe Arizona will draft him now HAHA.

Might end up in Europs soon there kiddo making peanuts compared to an NHL contract if you aren't careful!

He should end up in Europe nobody should (re) draft him and make an example a life lesson out of one or two of these spoiled kids making a living playing a game. 

I know it would never happen as gms are to greedy to see the big picture and stopping this cr,p from happening but will all whine when it happens to them. 

I actually agree with the rule in place.  The purpose of it is to give kids a chance to find other options if the team that drafts them decides not to signed them to an entry level contract.  This is typically for late round picks, for example, Kyle Pettit or Tate Olson Canucks 6th and 7throunder’s who we drafted and never gave a contract to.  The rule gives them options to still potentially find a path to the NHL, without that rule, their NHL career is over.   

John Gilmour was a 7th round pick for the flames in 2013.  In 2016, the flames decided not to offer him contract due to them being at the contract limit and not seeing a future in him.  The rule allowed him to see other options in which the Rangers gave him an offer.  Two years later he’s in the NHL.  

What I don’t agree with is the kids using this as a loophole to choose to where they want to play.   

All they have to do is do like every other sports league if the player doesn't want to sign with the team that drafted him then he must re-enter the draft. Allowing them to sign with any team they want is ridiculous. You can't blame the kids for doing this. If I was playing college hockey got drafted then had the opportunity to get my degree and then sign with my hometown team I'd do it 100%.

39 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I actually agree with the rule in place.  The purpose of it is to give kids a chance to find other options if the team that drafts them decides not to signed them to an entry level contract.  This is typically for late round picks, for example, Kyle Pettit or Tate Olson Canucks 6th and 7throunder’s who we drafted and never gave a contract to.  The rule gives them options to still potentially find a path to the NHL, without that rule, their NHL career is over.   

John Gilmour was a 7th round pick for the flames in 2013.  In 2016, the flames decided not to offer him contract due to them being at the contract limit and not seeing a future in him.  The rule allowed him to see other options in which the Rangers gave him an offer.  Two years later he’s in the NHL.  

What I don’t agree with is the kids using this as a loophole to choose to where they want to play.   

The players should have to re-enter the draft and then if undrafted they can sign with whichever team they want. It's a very simple fix.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

agree with your sentiment. I don't know the rule all too well other than the general gist, but it really doesn't seem like that tricky a loophole to close so as to keep everything fair for both parties. Think its a damn shame that Fla can lose a 2016 38th overall that quickly (with no compensation) just cause he won't sign a contract.

24 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

The players should have to re-enter the draft and then if undrafted they can sign with whichever team they want. It's a very simple fix.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the rule is.

I have no problem with the rule as-is.  Once he signs an NHL contract, he is under that team's thumb until he's 27.  If there is something he doesn't like about the organization, this is the one opportunity to exercise their rights to somewhat control their career.  There is risk in it for the player too.

i dunno guys, havent we seen enough of small "talented" forwards recycled from other organizations in the past few years to know what to (likely) expect here....Ill keep Sven thanks, he can play decently in his own zone and when paired up with Bo they put up decent points....

23 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the rule is.

I have no problem with the rule as-is.  Once he signs an NHL contract, he is under that team's thumb until he's 27.  If there is something he doesn't like about the organization, this is the one opportunity to exercise their rights to somewhat control their career.  There is risk in it for the player too.

That's not what the rule is. They can just sign with any team they want when they haven't been signed after 3 years of being drafted. Regardless of whether it was because of them or the team that drafted them. If they don't want to play with the team that drafted them they need to re-enter the draft. Currently the team that drafted them just gets compensated with a 2nd round pick.

Archived