The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Jonathan Tavares to test UFA

I've changed my mind on this.

I have said before it was too early to take on a Tavares type player but now that the Sedins won't be in the room and we seem to be playing well enough (even without some of our stars) I'm beginning to think with the right calibre of UFA we could actually be a force if not next season, certainly the one after.

Tavares and someone like John Carlson, Patrick Maroon, Luke Schenn.

On 03/04/2018 at 6:05 PM, bp79 said:

The first was just the starting price. If you subtract Domi and if there's a guy the Coyotes want at 5th or 6th and the fact he will want a huge contract I don't think it would be too much more.  Domi has been hampered by the hand injury but has come on the last month and a half. I like his grit and think he would be a good mix in the top 9.

Domi is not any better than Sven or Granny imo. He is probably a good substitute for DD though as long as we are not paying too much.

On 03/04/2018 at 3:43 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Tavares 10 Million 1 year

Karlsson 10 Million 1 year

Neal       5 Million 1 year

Boeser-Tavares-Neal

EP- Horvat- Gaudette

Bear- Sutter- Ericksson

Archie- Gaunce- Virtanen

--Goldy

Gagner- trade to CBJ

Granlund- trade to Minny

Boucher Utica

Motte Utica

Edler- Karlsson

Guddy-Tanev

MDZ- Stecher

Sauntner/Biega

*then I wake up :P

Then we are screwed when some of our young stars need contract upgrades. :) I think we can manage on Tavares and maybe Carlson - $15.5M

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Then we are screwed when some of our young stars need contract upgrades. :) I think we can manage on Tavares and maybe Carlson - $15.5M

Yeah my dream team if they wanted to get together for one run together for a season. Like the Orlando Magic did that one year.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and hadn’t really made up my mind on whether or not we should take a run at JT. 

Now that the Sedins are gone, really, why the hell not?   

We have the cap space.  

We have room.    

Tavares & Boeser

Horvat & Petterson 

3 Years from now that is the best 1-2 punch in the league.  

(Plus hopefully Dahlin this year). 

That could be attractive to JT. 

I’d give him 10-12 mill if that’s what it took.     

15 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Not that I think we should go for Karlsson, but I don't see much that would screw us going forward with any signings.  According to Capfriendly have $26 million this offseason to play with assuming an $80 million cap (it could be $83 million some say) and 19 players signed and $46 million the season after that (assuming a flat $80 million cap) with 10 players signed.

We have veterans on expiring contracts coming off the books for the next few years to offset raises by young guys taking bigger roles.

12 hours ago, Provost said:

Not that I think we should go for Karlsson, but I don't see much that would screw us going forward with any signings.  According to Capfriendly have $26 million this offseason to play with assuming an $80 million cap (it could be $83 million some say) and 19 players signed and $46 million the season after that (assuming a flat $80 million cap) with 10 players signed.

We have veterans on expiring contracts coming off the books for the next few years to offset raises by young guys taking bigger roles.

Yes you could be right. The Carlson I am thinking of is the Caps Carlson.

16 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and hadn’t really made up my mind on whether or not we should take a run at JT. 

Now that the Sedins are gone, really, why the hell not?   

We have the cap space.  

We have room.    

Tavares & Boeser

Horvat & Petterson 

3 Years from now that is the best 1-2 punch in the league.  

(Plus hopefully Dahlin this year). 

That could be attractive to JT. 

I’d give him 10-12 mill if that’s what it took.     

The Islanders are one of the highest scoring teams in the league.  Not sure he is going to want to go to a team that doesn't quite have the blue line or goal tending just yet re his experience in NYI. 

10 minutes ago, mll said:

The Islanders are one of the highest scoring teams in the league.  Not sure he is going to want to go to a team that doesn't quite have the blue line or goal tending just yet re his experience in NYI. 

I didn’t say he’d do it.  

I said I’d offer it.  

I’m a lifelong Canucks fan, and I doubt I’d even take it.  Lol.  

This team is gonna be a mess for a long time. 

We have a lot of work to do before we become an actual destination spot for players again. 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:00 AM, alfstonker said:

I've changed my mind on this.

I have said before it was too early to take on a Tavares type player but now that the Sedins won't be in the room and we seem to be playing well enough (even without some of our stars) I'm beginning to think with the right calibre of UFA we could actually be a force if not next season, certainly the one after.

Tavares and someone like John Carlson, Patrick Maroon, Luke Schenn.

I was with you until you mentioned Luke Schenn.

Do you think seeing the embrace that we as Canuck fans showed the Twins last night has any impact on UFA's, especially the big name guys? If they are a big part of the group (in JT's case) that brings Vancouver a cup, they could one day be embraced in a similar fashion. 

22 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Unless there is 50% more being offered by Vancouver than any other team in the league (aside from maybe Buffalo), I find it hard to believe you even get a call back from Tavares' agent. 

Is it? Beautiful city, great place to live, great place to raise a family, promising young core, a passionate fan base, an actual arena (sorry NYI). What other team can offer these qualities? 

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Is it? Beautiful city, great place to live, great place to raise a family, promising young core, a passionate fan base, an actual arena (sorry NYI). What other team can offer these qualities? 

Do we even make an offer though?  Likely Tavares has 3-5 years of peak performance left in him.  He might choose a team that’s in their window for winning right now.  We are (likely) still a couple years away at least, no?  I’d rather pass on Johnny T and go for a Dman in 2019.

Archived