The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good Times Ahead Folks! (A look at our future)

Rush17

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:16 AM, King Heffy said:

Pettersson will not be the #1 center next year.  That's how Edmonton ruined RNH.

I (quite) heavily appreciate this comment.

But its not necessarily true?  I don't think Boeser was pencilled into a top line RW role?  But there he was! :frantic:

And my point is, its just up to the player.  If a guy is truly lighting it up, gets the pace & style of play > let him roll!  

But I still agree. You cannot prop up the player as we did Jake & McCann.  And you have to plan on them NOT being there.  Make room if they are ready to roll...

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

In addition to the prospects mentioned, we also have a couple dark horse candidates on D who may very well pan out as very good players.

Matt Brassard (2017 7th round) was the 7th highest scoring OHL D this season and 4th in goals by defensemen. He was also probably top-3 in both categories in the second half of the season. He has size, physicality, leadership, and great offensive instincts. He’s been the straw the stirs the drink on Oshawa’s power play. And his skating and defensive awareness, which were early question marks, are vastly improved. He’s looking like a steal where he was drafted and a potential future member of our D corps.

Jack Rathbone (2017 4th round) owned the highest points/game among defensemen in New England Prep this season. And he’s now leading the D for the Cape Cod Whalers, a regional team that qualified for the USA Hockey Tier I National Tournament. Rathbone just had a monster game, scoring a hat trick and adding a primary assist in the 4-3 OT win to take Cape Cod to the semis and two wins from a national title. He’s an elite skater with high end offensive abilities and pretty underrated defense. He’ll be moving up to the college ranks with Harvard next season and is likely a few years away, but he’s definitely one to watch. Some pretty smart hockey people have said this kid is a first round level talent, and only fell to the 4th because of where he’s playing (prep school hockey).

Good post Sid.

I have to just throw a caution at Brassard?  He's in his draft plus 2 year, was passed on in his first year wasn't he? Although he would have been extremely young if drafted in 2016 with an August birthday. And is just now lighting it up approaching his 20th birthday. I suggest seeing him in Utica next year to make a good judgement, versus playing well against younger comp.

I do also really like the Rathbone pick though! A true scouts pick, who was selected on his skating, shot, displayable skills. But was a hard read because he had not really been tested against any strong competition? So fell in the draft. I think stories like that are similar to that where players like Datsyuk were found?

Was there a reason Brassard was behind the 8 ball earlier in his junior career?  He scored 4 points & played only 28 games his original draft year. Which was the first year he mad the OHL. Or was he just pinned behind someone, with little chance to play?    

Watched all the highlites....what really stands out (is so obvious) is the potential of having Pettersson on the right side and Boeser on the left side on the PP. Both players not only can snipe, but both are extremely good passers...Bo net front presence. Our PP is going to be good. Possibly Dahlen, Leipsic and others could be on the PP too.

Dahlen really drives the net and has a lot of skill....future definitely looks bright.

Really ticked at Taylor (& Moj)...my radio was on that station at lunch and they were discussing playoffs...namely Laffs.  Taylor said it was clear that our team is so far behind (in speed?!).

Here are my thoughts on this and yes, I am a homer, but I feel these are still good points:

How is he comparing our team as a playoff team?  All teams increase the intensity and there's nothing to gauge against.  Our guys haven't PLAYED a playoff game and to use a sample from the past season is just wrong.  Injuries plagued this team, but that's not even my reasoning.  We DID have the Sedins and, God love 'em, that obviously did make us slower.  Without them, how about we wait and see first before claiming it a bust?  I saw A LOT of speed.

We weren't playing for much so sure, it's not going to be as action packed as playoffs.  And, to be truthful, it kind of still was exciting hockey at times.  He's comparing regular season, out of the race apples to in the playoffs first round oranges.

I have a real problem with the media throwing this team under the bus (already).  For Christ sake, give our Brock's, Bo's, Jake's, etc. a chance before you decide.  I don't mean as they're getting their feet wet...let them have a season together as "their team" next year then assess where we're at.   Clowns.  Always negative.   I guess they wanted to avoid talking about Toronto?

21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Really ticked at Taylor (& Moj)...my radio was on that station at lunch and they were discussing playoffs...namely Laffs.  Taylor said it was clear that our team is so far behind (in speed?!).

Here are my thoughts on this and yes, I am a homer, but I feel these are still good points:

How is he comparing our team as a playoff team?  All teams increase the intensity and there's nothing to gauge against.  Our guys haven't PLAYED a playoff game and to use a sample from the past season is just wrong.  Injuries plagued this team, but that's not even my reasoning.  We DID have the Sedins and, God love 'em, that obviously did make us slower.  Without them, how about we wait and see first before claiming it a bust?  I saw A LOT of speed.

We weren't playing for much so sure, it's not going to be as action packed as playoffs.  And, to be truthful, it kind of still was exciting hockey at times.  He's comparing regular season, out of the race apples to in the playoffs first round oranges.

I have a real problem with the media throwing this team under the bus (already).  For Christ sake, give our Brock's, Bo's, Jake's, etc. a chance before you decide.  I don't mean as they're getting their feet wet...let them have a season together as "their team" next year then assess where we're at.   Clowns.  Always negative.   I guess they wanted to avoid talking about Toronto?

I kind of feel for some of the show hosts at 1040.  Their station, since losing the Canuck’s rights, has gone very negative on everything Canucks.  I don’t think this is Taylor talking.  This is his management insisting the hosts take this point of view.  1040 is a no go zone.

On 4/8/2018 at 3:10 PM, NHL'er said:

Hate to be that guy but I personally prefer Mike Babcock's philosophy. I think there's still (tons of) pain coming. :sadno:

He was talking about this Boston series. At least they scored one today.Lol

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎08 at 4:10 PM, NHL'er said:

Hate to be that guy but I personally prefer Mike Babcock's philosophy. I think there's still (tons of) pain coming. :sadno:

Until the twins retired there was the illusion of hope. Now is when the real pain truly begins. Most fans just don't realize it yet.

22 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

The team that was on the ice this year is slow. According to todays standards. The team that will be on the ice two years from now will be completely different. 

Dahlen records a goal and an assist in his 2nd AHL game.  Now has 2 points in 2 regular season games.  The team will start the playoffs next week.  Lukas Jasek the Canuck's former 6th round pick picked up the GWG for Utica. (Jasek finishes his 6 regular season games with Utica with 7 points - 3 goals and 4 assists)

Jonathan's Assist from today: 

Jonathan's goal:

Lukas Jasek's Beauty GWG in OT:

Thatcher Demko also sets a record for most wins for any Comet goalie in their franchise's history. (Passing Joacim Eriksson)

Here is a clip from around development camp last summer. Featuring Elias Pettersson and Jonathan Dahlen prior to each of their dominant seasons this year.

cheers :D

On 4/13/2018 at 1:54 PM, debluvscanucks said:

hate to say it deb

but your first mistake was to actually listen to the words coming through your radio from those 2

next time plug your ears or something :P

1040 can't be positive since 650 occupies that position on the airwaves

1040 lost their canuck broadcasting rights and it is more appropriate now for them to take on the extreme negative views regarding the canucks going forward or they will too easily be extinguished in this market

it is unfortunate there is a market for the level of negativism that station appears to want to foster

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

hate to say it deb

but your first mistake was to actually listen to the words coming through your radio from those 2

next time plug your ears or something :P

1040 can't be positive since 650 occupies that position on the airwaves

1040 lost their canuck broadcasting rights and it is more appropriate now for them to take on the extreme negative views regarding the canucks going forward or they will too easily be extinguished in this market

it is unfortunate there is a market for the level of negativism that station appears to want to foster

Sad part is. I listen to both radio stations lol.  I only listen to Halford and Brough on 1040 now tho.  The hosts opposite of them are less entertaining in that slot.  I tend to listen to a fair amount during the week to pass the time at work.  Seems to help some.

On 4/14/2018 at 12:43 PM, appleboy said:

The team that was on the ice this year is slow. According to todays standards. The team that will be on the ice two years from now will be completely different. 

No they weren't....the Sedin were slow (God love 'em)....but the last 5 games I went to were action packed and we were not behind a step.  I disagree.

41 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

He must have missed the likes of Virtanen, Motte, Horvat, Gaudette, Leipsic, Goldobin, etc.

Look, I watched some shifts against Boston, where TO played Marner, Nylander & Hymen.  FRack, they were not just fast, but the buzzed side to side, handled the puck. Kapanen is also fast.  They have quite a bit to look forward to, not just Matthews. Toronto is not all that fast on D though? Its their challenge...

And who cares?

We're accumulating & drafting more speed ourselves. Including guys you mention. And I suspect the trend will continue!

It wasn't good enough he set the record for most points by an u20 player in the regular season. Now he's going after the post season record too. Tying Daniel and Henrik's second SHL playoff season output. Oh and he is the favorite to be announced league MVP if he wins this series.  

Ryan Johnson GM of the Utica Comets our farm team believes he is to good to be kept of Sweden's world championships team. So get ready we may see some Pettersson vs Horvat this summer when Sweden and Canada collide this off season. 

Still a fair chance Olli Juolevi our 2016 (5th overall) first round pick will be selected by Finland to represent them at the world championships. He completes his season tomorrow in their bronze medal game. Note Olli has been running his team's PP and eating a ton of minutes. He also helped in pushing his team into OT in their final game with 2 late assists.

Feel free to check out the Olli Juolevi thread in the prospects section of the forum the tomorrow late morning/early afternoon for the latest!

Go Canucks Go! PS.. Elias Pettersson is ridiculous.

Cheers

Archived