The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brian Boyle to Mikhail Sergachev "Im going to f*%^ng kill you"

With 22.4 seconds left into the game and NJ up 5-2, a little physical action starts 

with Brian Boyle and Mikhail Sergachev going at it. The refs basically broke it up right away but you could see the anger between the two. Boyle more than 5 times constantly repeats " I'm going to f*%*ng kill you" towards Sergachev. I know this is play offs and emotions are flying but will the league look at this and send a warning to Boyle as they did to Gudbranson when he yelled something similar in the locker room regarding Ratt Fartin? 

When Gudbranson said what he said, reporters and announcers were all over it and the leagues brass issued a warning to Guddy(not sure if he got fined aswell) and also attended the next match up between the Nucks and Laughs to make sure nothing escalated (complete joke).

Anyone who has played any type of hitting hockey that allows fighting knows this goes on. It shouldn’t even leave the ice. I’ve used the line before when someone hit one of teammates questionably, where I tell one of his teammates when I get out there that as soon as he gets out of the box “ you better call the mortician cuz I’m going to &^@#ing murder him” it’s as common as the phrase “we gotta go now bud”

Brian Boyle would have a tough time killing a fly. Softest big man in the league. 

There was a video compilation of him getting beat up for 7 minutes but can't find it on YT anymore or else I would've posted. 

1 hour ago, Schneider.Man604 said:

With 22.4 seconds left into the game and NJ up 5-2, a little physical action starts 

with Brian Boyle and Mikhail Sergachev going at it. The refs basically broke it up right away but you could see the anger between the two. Boyle more than 5 times constantly repeats " I'm going to f*%*ng kill you" towards Sergachev. I know this is play offs and emotions are flying but will the league look at this and send a warning to Boyle as they did to Gudbranson when he yelled something similar in the locker room regarding Ratt Fartin? 

When Gudbranson said what he said, reporters and announcers were all over it and the leagues brass issued a warning to Guddy(not sure if he got fined aswell) and also attended the next match up between the Nucks and Laughs to make sure nothing escalated (complete joke).

have you ever played hockey? go play and you'll understand this is completely normal lol

1 hour ago, Schneider.Man604 said:

Boyle more than 5 times constantly repeats " I'm going to f*%*ng kill you"

That gets said at least 2145 in every hockey game played, often before the end of the first period and sometimes to players on your own team if they give you a suicide pass (or as a goalie and in the warmup some idiot is trying out a new, softer, flex on his shaft and hits you in the throat from 12 feet out).     Much ado about nothing.     

39 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Brian Boyle would have a tough time killing a fly. Softest big man in the league. 

There was a video compilation of him getting beat up for 7 minutes but can't find it on YT anymore or else I would've posted. 

Was probably removed after the cancer diagnosis. Seems like it wouldn't be in bad taste to put it back up. 

2 hours ago, Schneider.Man604 said:

The difference between this and the gudbranson thing is that im pretty sure the gudbranson thing was said in the locker room after the game with reporters and tvs recording it. There's a big difference between saying it in the heat of the moment on the ice and saying it in a locker room. The ice is kinda like a protected space for players to swear at each other (unless it's some racist/homophobic comment, etc.)

The league won't think twice about it.

But the OP does have a point where the laughable and selective ballbusting of Gudbranson is concerned.

Unprecedented "sensitivity" to hockey talk that's hard to take seriously. 

That said, I'm not sure what Boyle's problem with Sergachev is/was - perhaps just a tactical attempt to unglue Tampa on some level - but I don't have a whole lot of respect for those kind of antics when you have a veteran targetting a 19 year old.  Imo it did not look good on Boyle.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

The league won't think twice about it.

But the OP does have a point where the laughable and selective ballbusting of Gudbranson is concerned.

Unprecedented "sensitivity" to hockey talk that's hard to take seriously. 

That said, I'm not sure what Boyle's problem with Sergachev is/was - perhaps just a tactical attempt to unglue Tampa on some level - but I don't have a whole lot of respect for those kind of antics when you have a veteran targetting a 19 year old.  Imo it did not look good on Boyle.

It would only be selective if these incidents were equivalent which they are not. Had Gudbranson said what he said on the ice and to Martin's face, he would not have heard from the league either. You have significantly more leeway to say things on the ice that you would dare not say to someone off the ice. Someone already mentioned but as long as its not racist, you can get away with saying just about anything. Some would add homophobia to this, but it wasn't too uncommon to hear a homophobic slur when I played, and I am not sure how much things have changed since then. 

In any case no big deal Guddy can say what he wants, he just needs to do it out of earshot of the media, I am sure he was fuming and wasn't really aware of who was around him and will be more careful next time. Once the cat was out of the bag though, the league has to react. If there was a serious incident involving both these players, the league would have been on the hook for having failing to act despite ample warning.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

It would only be selective if these incidents were equivalent which they are not. Had Gudbranson said what he said on the ice and to Martin's face, he would not have heard from the league either. You have significantly more leeway to say things on the ice that you would dare not say to someone off the ice. Someone already mentioned but as long as its not racist, you can get away with saying just about anything. Some would add homophobia to this, but it wasn't too uncommon to hear a homophobic slur when I played, and I am not sure how much things have changed since then. 

In any case no big deal Guddy can say what he wants, he just needs to do it out of earshot of the media, I am sure he was fuming and wasn't really aware of who was around him and will be more careful next time. Once the cat was out of the bag though, the league has to react. If there was a serious incident involving both these players, the league would have been on the hook for having failing to act despite ample warning.

I guess you're right.

Archived