The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 29/06/2018 at 11:19 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Very true, but he did prove that he can handle NHL level talent at the Worlds a month ago.

Two points to keep in mind though, the worlds is on a bigger ice surface (more room) and those teams tend to be built more speed/skill than the heavier more physical NHL teams are. I won't be surprised if he starts NHL next season, but I also won't be surprised if he starts with an AHL season.

• Upvote 1

From Botchford:

Transitioning Hughes to the NHL on a third pair with big power-play minutes could help his development and it would also make the Canucks better all at the same time.

It would certainly help improve the team more than Jay Beagle could. And there’s this: it would sell.

Having Hughes and Elias Pettersson in the same lineup at the same time is something that’s just too delicious for management to pass on without doing everything possible to try to make it happen.

end quote...

If Quinn can stay healthy...he makes the lineup...!

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So I’m thinking we need to trade with NYR to acquire winger Riley Hughes (2018 7th round and Northeastern commit). Then draft Jack Hughes in 2019. And then in 2021, draft Quinn and Jack’s little brother Luke (D). And also draft Riley’s little brother, who also happens to be named Jack Hughes (and is a 2021 eligible winger who’s apparently pretty good and already committed to Northeastern).

As far as I know, Riley and Jack are not related to Quinn, Jack, and Luke.

But we could actually ice a complete five man unit of Hugheses. 

Jack Hughes (2003)-Jack Hughes(2001)-Riley Hughes

Quinn Hughes-Luke Hughes

Become the “Vancouver Hugheses” :lol:

Now if we could just find a place for Hugh Jackman on the team!!!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

From Botchford:

Transitioning Hughes to the NHL on a third pair with big power-play minutes could help his development and it would also make the Canucks better all at the same time.

It would certainly help improve the team more than Jay Beagle could. And there’s this: it would sell.

Having Hughes and Elias Pettersson in the same lineup at the same time is something that’s just too delicious for management to pass on without doing everything possible to try to make it happen.

end quote...

If Quinn can stay healthy...he makes the lineup...!

Painful to agree with Botch, but I can't really argue with this, except for the part where he feels compelled to put down Beagle, who I think will be a useful addition to the team, helping to provide a better/safer environment for the smaller, more skilled players like QH and EP.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Painful to agree with Botch, but I can't really argue with this, except for the part where he feels compelled to put down Beagle, who I think will be a useful addition to the team, helping to provide a better/safer environment for the smaller, more skilled players like QH and EP.

Botch is missing a few brain cells. How can you compare Hughes and Beagle? Can someone explain this to me? Hughes just got drafted and plays D where Beagle is a Centre and an NHL veteran. Hughes and Beagle can help the Canucks improve in completely different aspects of the game. Vancouver media disappoints me even when I have 0 expectations from them to contribute anything knowledgeable.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Analyst82 said:

Botch is missing a few brain cells. How can you compare Hughes and Beagle? Can someone explain this to me? Hughes just got drafted and plays D where Beagle is a Centre and an NHL veteran. Hughes and Beagle can help the Canucks improve in completely different aspects of the game. Vancouver media disappoints me even when I have 0 expectations from them to contribute anything knowledgeable.

Hey, that was top quality writing for Botch. When you see a bear dancing, you don't criticize the lack of grace, you marvel that it can dance at all.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I don't think there's any doubt that Benning and crew MINIMALLY want Pettersson and Hughes on the roster this year.  The team desperately needs that level of elite skill injection, not to mention it will put butts in seats.

• Upvote 1

More of the pre-draft "generational talent" comments from his USNDTP coach:

NHL Draft 2018: Quinn Hughes 'as valuable as anyone' playing a style his own

(Exerpts:)

“He was just tremendous defensively in that game,” Wroblewski said of Hughes. “I mean, he’s going against 24-, 25-year-old men, stripping the puck, and breaking us out, and it was amazing to watch: Defensively, someone his size being able to manipulate a bigger, stronger player.”

“You had already seen flashes of it, but he was just dominant that game,” Wroblewski said. “It was the time I’d seen him really just beat the entire opposition.”

One play in particular stood out. Hughes collected the puck in his own end, and began to go coast-to-coast. He blew past one player, and then a second. By the time he reached and gained the offensive blue line, Hughes was in full gallop. As he ascended in on goal, Hughes found his defensive partner Phil Kempe undetected on the back side, and slid him the puck for an easy goal.

He just gave us this dynamic and threw a blueprint out the door in regard to how offensive zone play is normally dictated,” Wroblewski said. “He just has that ability to transcend, and really just think on the fly. It’s truly impressive to watch.”

But where a new crop of defensemen like Charlie McAvoy, Shayne Gostisbehere and Shea Theodore like to play fast, Hughes pushes the speedometer to a different level.

“You rarely see defensemen traveling north with his just desire, and his knack for being able to get through the neutral zone,” Wroblewski said. “Usually it results in a turnover, but he’s got that — he’s going the knack — and I don’t think that’s going to go away.”

"The young man has just such a knack for when to pick his spots," he said. "His success rate when he’s traveling north, whether he’s throwing a pass to a strong-side winger or jumping through, or even throwing it off the boards to himself and then having the puck continue to advance in a predictable fashion is impeccable. There might be a time and a place where that doesn’t happen, and then a coach is going to have to reign him in a little bit but I don’t think it’s going to happen."

Wroblewski also said that when Hughes did make a mistake, he always had the same recourse.

"When he makes a mistake, my thing with Quinn is, the more you play him, the better he is," he said. "If you put him out and he makes a mistake, well, get him right back out there and he’s going to make up for it. Just keep playing him and keep playing him, and eventually it’s going to reap rewards for you, and he’s going to take over the game."

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-quinn-hughes-highlights-projected-position-world-championship-performance-usa-ntdp/1gryzk1kbmd3y18p4ct4s03mrh

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I don't think we should be putting him in to sell the team. Not to say its not best for his development, it might be, right now I'm leaning to the safe side (Michigan) but maybe signing end ups being the better way. I'm not sure yet, we'll find out, but I don't agree that we should put him in to sell tickets if he's not 100% ready. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't think we should be putting him in to sell the team. Not to say its not best for his development, it might be, right now I'm leaning to the safe side (Michigan) but maybe signing end ups being the better way. I'm not sure yet, we'll find out, but I don't agree that we should put him in to sell tickets if he's not 100% ready. 

Exactly. I am not against having him in the opening lineup but it has to be for the right reasons. He will have to have plum offensive situations, weak line match-ups to start and probably limited icetime to get his feet wet. Once he shows he can progress further than that you can move him up your lineup and in more situations.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Players sell hockey. Its not rushing a player if he is ready. And if he is not they will see it and they will make a decision. based on his play. Its quite simple really. Jake could have been rushed, but he was not ready and could not think the game with his body and we have seen Jake go to the AHL. if Hughes or Pettersson are not ready it will show. So don't worry CDC Canucks do not have the reputation of rushing young players. If anything we see older Veterans play instead.

• Cheers 2

With the departure of the Sedins, they (owners, management) will need to really sell the fans on attending games, buying merch. I'm not sure Horvat and Boeser are enough to help take the sting out of Danny and Hank gone. Canucks fans want new and exciting players to cheer on. I expect Pettersson and Hughes to make the team. I think this is why Benning brought in Beagle, Roussel and Schaller. To prepare for the arrival of Elias and Quinn.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

With the departure of the Sedins, they (owners, management) will need to really sell the fans on attending games, buying merch. I'm not sure Horvat and Boeser are enough to help take the sting out of Danny and Hank gone. Canucks fans want new and exciting players to cheer on. I expect Pettersson and Hughes to make the team. I think this is why Benning brought in Beagle, Roussel and Schaller. To prepare for the arrival of Elias and Quinn.

Well, Schaller seems to have the merch side covered. ;) 

C19E78C8-9758-4370-AFA4-1E2B61D52AA2.png.d433a0ec5d929ba4029f34bd9edcbd44.png

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME