The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

thats why I joined CDC. Things can sometimes go off the rails here a bit but there are some really knowledgable people and good opinions much of the time. And the occasional you-know-whats, but that just provides contrast to the good stuff. 

Exactly, same here. That's why it was so jarring for me to start getting The Province videos on youtube, not sure if that's new or something. I almost never seen or read anything from our media guys like Botch and Kuzma. All my information came from here. I come here first and foremost any time anything happens. We have a wacky group of folks but I do enjoy the conversations that happen here.

52 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Our media should consist of actual fans. I'd support you as one of the media guys. The ones we currently have don't seem like true fans. I am not saying they should be full on homers or anything. They aren't just out of touch with human contact outside of their own negative circle but they don't seem to care. I dunno. The negativity and stupidity of our media is just embarrassing. We don't get coverage outside of them either. So it's just rough being a Canuck fan as far as the media side is concerned. 

I listen to SN650 quite regularly, and they tend to turn into fanboys fairly quickly when interacting directly with the team.

There is a ton of gossip and speculation in between, but how else can they justify the salaries for these 'hockey journalists'? Let them talk. If you want to dive into the media side of the sport, it's great. You can tune in and out.

CDC is where you get your neighbour, the fan's perspective... for better or for worse.

The fanbase is frustrated after quite a few bad seasons now, but it doesn't excuse Botchford or the classic rock bros at TSN1040.

We have been blessed with talent over the years, but that's what it means to have an NHL franchise. Every team has impressive alumni.

We are only just starting to introduce the guys who will be the next wave for us; I think it would be a lot easier for everyone to just try to be a fan again and watch these promising young talents grow (ie. Boeser, EP, Hughes, Demko, etc.). You can scrutinize all you want, but until those guys are all on the ice together and settled... and STILL FAILING, I won't be getting caught up in any negative noise.

Edited by nergish

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Our media should consist of actual fans. I'd support you as one of the media guys. The ones we currently have don't seem like true fans. I am not saying they should be full on homers or anything. They aren't just out of touch with human contact outside of their own negative circle but they don't seem to care. I dunno. The negativity and stupidity of our media is just embarrassing. We don't get coverage outside of them either. So it's just rough being a Canuck fan as far as the media side is concerned. 

The negativity is one thing, but when supposedly knowledgeable people come up with silly reasoning, ignore what people say and strawman them instead, or outright get their facts wrong, it's really hard to listen.  And 650 frankly isn't much better -- just Monday Satiar referred to Hughes as being "150/160", and Karen on 1040 bewailed previously that we didn't "send Virtanen to Utica like Toronto did with Nylander".  Basic things that we as the casual but committed fans know and that they certainly should know if they were even partially informed.  I mean, it's their JOB after all.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I don’t mind constructive criticism but they just talk out of their asses too often. Why is Kuzma asking Hughes about diarrhea???

When Joey Kenward is the best you have to offer... 

Yeah, that Kuzma question was pretty out of bounds. I think from here on out, I'll give him the nickname Ben "Both Ends" Kuzma. He's already been talking out of both ends for years now, so it isn't much of a stretch to give him that nickname after the Hughes interview.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The negativity is one thing, but when supposedly knowledgeable people come up with silly reasoning, ignore what people say and strawman them instead, or outright get their facts wrong, it's really hard to listen.  And 650 frankly isn't much better -- just Monday Satiar referred to Hughes as being "150/160", and Karen on 1040 bewailed previously that we didn't "send Virtanen to Utica like Toronto did with Nylander".  Basic things that we as the casual but committed fans know and that they certainly should know if they were even partially informed.  I mean, it's their JOB after all.

Can't believe Jim Benning didn't send 18/19 year old Calgary Hitman Jake Virtanen to Utica. What a goof. If only we just did that. Karen is so smart.

22 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, that Kuzma question was pretty out of bounds. I think from here on out, I'll give him the nickname Ben "Both Ends" Kuzma. He's already been talking out of both ends for years now, so it isn't much of a stretch to give him that nickname after the Hughes interview.

Benny Both Ends has my vote. 

What a a piece of work he is

14 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Apples to oranges. Hughes has managed to compete with and play with NHL players at the WC and did very well. You could argue that having his dad as a pro coach has made Quinn more NHL ready than most kids in the draft. Much like Tkachuk was ready ahead of many other guys. 

Plus Quinn has the IQ and the Skating that is NHL ready. That is his bread and butter. So a case can be made

Pettersson is legit ready. He dominated the best pro league not named the NHL. Literally owned the league and made it his bitch as a 19y/o. No way he goes to the AHL. He and Hughes are our most skilled players, even now. 

Gaudette, older and did win the Hobey Baker award this year.  Brock didn’t do that.  Gaudette should have limited minutes as center requires more attention and he will be tasked with defending. He has tenacity in his game.  

The thing is that even if these guys and also OJ make the roster it would be unlikely for them to carry the team. They will have ups and downs, so there needs to be depth to mitigate the almost inevitable slumps that come with such a long schedule. 

I never said Pettersson should go the AHL. I said he didn't play right after he was drafted. Quinn is on the smaller side and is a defenseman. All our previous prospects in this position were forwards, your right it isn't quite a straight across comp, but that is both in some positive and negative ways. For me its about Quinn Hughes being the best possible player he can be in the big picture, and not rushing him in. Maybe he's ready & maybe he isn't but we shouldn't rush it if he isn't. Its a big jump especially for a defense on a team like ours, with our travel, with the stress on our defenseman & on a team where he's going to be counted on to provide offense. The other thing too is it seems like he wants to play in the NHL or Michigan, not the AHL. For him, turning pro wouldn't mean going down to Utica to be apart of that team. Its a big decision and we can't rush him. 

I agree we needed the depth, I'm not against the UFA moves unlike most of this market seems to be. 

15 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

They arguably earned their spots out of camp, especially McCann who I think had 5 goals.  Jake was kept primarily because they figured he would develop better there than with the Hitmen, and McCann eventually got put into a role he wasn't ready for because of all the injuries.  Should they have sent them back in the New Year?  Sure, that could be argued, but maybe they just wanted to let them run with the increased responsibility, or had already gone past the threshhold of games played, or didn't want to bring up scrubs from Utica (depth was ugly), hard to say.  In any case, whether that spoiled them long-term is not easy to determine and won't be for quite a while.

We'll see at camp how ready they are, and expectation is that at least a couple will be, as reflected by the UFA signings.  Pettersson for one was considered the best prospect not playing in the NHL, and both he and Gaudette continue to be name-dropped, along with Hughes who JB pretty clearly wants to get in this year.

Petterssson and Gaudette will definitely play. That goes without saying. If Hughes is signed it will be to play in the NHL and that decision will have to be made before training camp starts. Its a big deal, he would be our first prospect to play right after being drafted & he's a defenseman. The WC experience definitely helps, without it I think it would be more clear back to Michigan choice, but there are still things to consider. The stepup in schedule is massive for a draft +1 year, he's a bit undersized, & its a team that is demanding on our D. 

If he signs I'll be excited to see him play but longterm is the most important part here and that can't be overlooked, we need him to hit his ceiling badly for this team to have a chance of competing for anything.