The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Be pretty funny if we draft Knight and move Demko :ph34r::lol:

Give it up.

Baby give it up!

How many threads can you hijack with trade Demko themes?

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oilers are likely looking to shed cap in a bad way. I wonder if they would consider moving that pick for some cap freedom. 

Or what if they offered us a swap. Something like there 8th + puljujarvi + lucic (50% retianed) for sutter + 10th. 

Would they pay to get rid of Luc? Sure. Drop to 10th and add a 3rd, maybe...  

Pool Party? They would be dumb to give up on him.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, YungWee said:

C'mon now.

Severson is already an established NHL player. A right handed defensemen, who logs over 20 minutes a game, plays in all situations, and can score 39 points, with the lowest offensive zone start time on his team. 

He’s pretty much Tanev with better offensive instincts and can play physical.

Ty Smith is no slouch of a prospect as well, who can very well be better than Hughes.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Severson is already an established NHL player. A right handed defensemen, who logs over 20 minutes a game, plays in all situations, and can score 39 points, with the lowest offensive zone start time on his team. 

He’s pretty much Tanev with better offensive instincts and can play physical.

Ty Smith is no slouch of a prospect as well, who can very well be better than Hughes.

Smith, Severson, and Nico Hischier otherwise they can screw themselves.

trust me, Hughes is at a higher level.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Smith, Severson, and Nico Hischier otherwise they can screw themselves.

trust me, Hughes is at a higher level.

Would you trade, Stecher, Boeser, and Juolevi for Jack Hughes?

31 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Would you trade, Stecher, Boeser, and Juolevi for Jack Hughes?

Though, to be honest, I can definitely see New Jersey trying to acquire Quinn Hughes for sure.

But my thinking is this. Stand pat. If Devils want Quinn Hughes, make them buy high if possible. I can definitely see them slightly overpay if it means they can reunite the two dynamic brothers (assuming they even draft Hughes, which in my opinion they should).

When I say Hughes is at a higher level than Smith, I'm not degrading Smith's talent ability but rather Hughes has quite the extensive hockey resume and is clearly a bit more ahead in his development compared to most 18/19 year olds at his age. The amount of tournaments he's played in, both against his peers and against established NHL'ers (without even making his debut), he's clearly had more experience and knows a little more what it's like to be a pro than the rest. That and the amount of skills and technique training he's had most likely far exceeds what Smith has done (I'm assuming base off the fact that it's been documented Hughes has been in various training facilities across NA). He hasn't looked out of place once at all in his showings with us.

Quinn Hughes is also arguably one of, if not, the best hockey prospect right now alongside Makar. I'm not gonna easily trade someone who's coming off a really impressive first 5 NHL games (the last 2 games of the season he absolutely dominated teams shifts at a time) for another defenseman prospect who's talented in his own right, but clearly not at the same level of pedigree as Hughes. 

Severson is a top 4 defenseman for sure and he would definitely make the deal more sweeter, but I'm not exactly convinced I'd want to trade Hughes. Also, I don't think it'd make sense to right now as well, considering how extremely high we are about him.

Edited by Odd.

9 hours ago, TGokou said:

I wonder if there's a chance, albeit slim that Podkolzin will drop as far as 10th to the Canucks. I think the reason noone has talked about him is because most of us expect him to go early but I do wonder if the Russian factor and the fact he has made it clear he will stay in the KHL will put teams off. He has done remarkably well in the international tournaments and I think he will get another chance to showcase at the u18 tournament. Either way at this spot do you continue to pass with the "No Russians" mentality or do you try to go for a homering pick. I think at this spot if he was available you would have to pick him.

He is rated at #3. Why would he drop to 10?

Plus...no RUSSIANS please.  I really don't want a russian. :frantic:

Draft prediction.

NJ Kakko they already got their lil speedster. Having Nico and Hughes I don't think makes a ton of sense 

NY Hughes cuz duh!
Chi Dach Massive playoff performing C is a huge need especially with Towes starting to wear down and their lack of C depth. I think they go back to the trough after drafting Wize last year

Avs Turcotte I think they go safe with this pick and swing for the fences with their next. Turcotte is practically a lock NHL 2C

LA Cozens because its LA everything about this kid screams LA to me

Det Byram Because Detroit is good at drafting and they need D

Buff Podkolzin they luck out huge with this 

Oil Soderstrom he's what they need. Finding wingers who want to play with MCD should be easy.

Ana Lavoi I think they reach for him because he's probably the most NHL ready of anyone left. I don't think they are ready to go full rebuild yet. Though they should.

Which leaves the Canucks to pick from Zegras, Krebs, Boldy, Newhook, Caufield, Sieder. Honestly I'd be happy with any of them @10, however, I wouldn't expect any of them to be NHL ready for at least 2 years. 

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

A lot still TBD before I start thinking about making a list of targets for #10, but at the moment, I’m actually leaning toward trying to trade the #10 and move down a few spots, add a pick, and then maybe combine that pick with our #40 to grab another late first. Draft twice in the back half of the first round, where I think there’s still really good value this year, and will likely yield better results than we’d see keeping 10 and 40.

This is the first post about trading our pick that makes sense. No surprise it is you SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME.

Others posts mention moving up a couple spots which is....stupid. I was gonna suger coat it but why bother. Firstly, look at the previous drafts and see how many top 10 pick teams moved up a couple spots. Yeah....barely any. Plus....you would have to pay a pretty price and a rebuilding team like the Canucks should not be doing that right now.

Excellent post!!

My Mock Draft (10 April 2019)

1. J. Hughes [NJD]
2. K. Kakko [NYR]

3. V. Podkolzin [CHI]

4. D. Cozens [COL]

5. B. Byram [LAK]

6. T. Zegras [DET]

7. K. Dach [BUF]

8. A. Turcotte [EDM]

9. M. Boldy [ANA]

10. P. Krebs [VAN] <OR V. Soderstrom → trade down>

11. C. Caufield [PHI] <OR P. Krebs>

12. V. Soderstrom [MIN] <OR P. Krebs, C. Caufield>

13. P. Broberg [FLA]

14. A. Kaliyev [ARI]

15. A. Newhook [MTL]

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

He is rated at #3. Why would he drop to 10?

Plus...no RUSSIANS please.  I really don't want a russian. :frantic:

To answer your question, you just answered your own question lol. Plus I totally get it but at #10 I think it's a great boom or bust pick. From what I hear he plays with a lot more jam than most realize so he definitely doesn't play soft. I think Benning would really have to consider it.

14 minutes ago, TGokou said:

To answer your question, you just answered your own question lol. Plus I totally get it but at #10 I think it's a great boom or bust pick. From what I hear he plays with a lot more jam than most realize so he definitely doesn't play soft. I think Benning would really have to consider it.

I have a severe case of Ruskaphobia.

I posted this in the "Who would you draft at #10?" thread but thought it deserves to go here more.

Coming into today I didn't really know too much about Moritz Seider from the german DEL league. Fact is there isn't really a lot of comparables and so it is scary to draft a player from a relatively unknown league. However based on my research I think it's safe to say it is a pro league that probably isn't quite on par with SEL, Liiga, or KHL...maybe closer to swedish Allvenskan league.

He currently has 6 points 2G 4A in 29 games which is good for .21 ppg and also has 3A in 9 playoff games. People may scoff at those numbers but for a pro league that is pretty good production, even if it's the german DEL. If compared with Phillip Broberg's Allvenskan numbers their ppg are fairly comparable.

Moritz Seider is a 6'4'' RH defenseman, 198lb with a late birthday (April 2001). He apparently has above average skating considering his size and can maintain excellent gap control. He is also quite physical with a good reach and rarely makes mistakes defensively in the pro league. Personally I feel if he were playing in a more well-known league he'd be going top 10 or just outside of the top 10 but is currently rated in the mid-teens. 

Personally I think he would make a great addition to the Canucks and he could be slotted in to fill that RH d man position beside Hughes. The fact that he is 6'4'' with good skating and excellent defense will greatly help Hughes in the future. However I also think he has offensive upside. Based on the very few comparables I could scrounge up he projects to be significantly better than other german D-men such as Christian Erhoff and Dennis Seidenberg. I think his ceiling is 25-30 points in the NHL per season but that could easily go up to 35-40 depending on how well he develops next year and how he is deployed in the NHL in the future.

Based on his projected rankings based on most scouting lists he currently is rated firmly in the mid-teens. I have a feeling this is primarily because of the fact he plays in the german league and so most scouts have no problem slotting him behind other players such as Victor Soderstrom, Phillip Broberg, Thomas Harley and Arthur Kaliyev. Personally I feel he deserves to go much higher but is he top 10 material? I'm not sure how other teams feel about drafting a player that high out of the DEL but I definitely would be open to trading down 2-3 picks while picking up a 2nd round pick in the process. Worst case scenario I believe at least Soderstrom, Boldy, and maybe one of the top 10 fallers could still be there at the 12-13 pick although I feel Seider should still be there for the picking. If the Canucks don't trade down, he is my darkhorse pick to be picked early causing CDC to melt down because they have never heard of this guy.

• Upvote 2

I know its been a minute since we took Schroeder, but a top 10 pick I would stay clear of a 5'7 player. He is compared to Debrincat, who even with 2 back to back 50G years albeit in junior. He didnt get taken till the 2nd round.

We cant take such a flyer or risk with this pick imo, we need these top picks to pan out....ALL of them, so far just the 1 is living up to his draft selection. Next year lets see what OJ, Jake (even though he has been around long enough imo to prove to be a top 6) Hughes- a full NHL season will be a grind for the undersized D. Big season upcoming for our past top picks

• Upvote 1