The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Ah shoot yeah. Turcotte reminds me more and more of Patrice Bergeron. I had him at 11, but perhaps I'll slide him into that nine slot and move Krebs and Cozens up, bumping Boldy down. As I said, the top 10 are pretty interchangeable, even to 11 or 12 considering Soderstrom. I love Zegras at that 3/4 spot, he's lightning in a bottle.

Thing is Broberg has looked really impressive. His promising blend of size, skill, and skating makes him one of the most tantalizing defensive prospects. But his decision making is definitely a question mark, he tends to make lower percentage plays when he wants to be more flashy. This can get him burned. I don't think it's the hockey IQ, he thinks the game at a high level and plays with compete, but he needs to communicate better. He has a ton of upside. We'll see where he goes.

15 hours ago, shiznak said:

I like Dach a lot. So much, that I think he’s probably going to be the best centermen in the draft and that includes Hughes. Plays a similar style as Sean Couturier. Great forechecker, great at using his stick to impede passing lines, overall his style of how he plays will make him an excellent 1B line centermen. 

Here’s a video of a game against Vancouver. Obviously, one game is a very small simple size, but the first 3 minutes alone. You have a sense that his hockey IQ is exceptional.

VainSpitefulAsiantrumpetfish-size_restri

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, shiznak said:

I like Dach a lot.

I agree. He's got great positioning, good stick work. Interesting (at 2.10) how he plucked the puck loose from Byram along the boards and scored with 3 Giants surrounding him. Pretty dominant. He looks like he could possibly create a scoring chance every shift. Dach is a C, so what would happen with Horvat? 

For those Krebs fans out there your support and willingness to turn a cheek to his minus based on him playing on a piss poor team. The logic that if he were on a better team his stats would be even more impressive and his minus wouldn't be so atrocious had me really interested to give him a better look. Well today I watched this.

It wasn't pretty sure any time you lose 2-6 it ain't gonna be pretty. My take aways were he is not a centre I think he won 25% of the draws he took. He was on the ice for 4 of the 6 goals against 2 of which were the result of plays he was directly involved one directly off of a lost FO and the other he failed to hold the line resulting in a breakaway.  He also very nearly gave up a short handed breakaway against. One thing that particularly bothered me is he played almost the entire game with one hand on the stick as a result had it knocked out of his hand twice once shorthanded. It wasn't all doom and gloom though His 2 minute shift to end the game was very good, he won more puck battles than he lost and his passing looked very sharp even if his decision making wasn't the greatest. 

Here are my notes:

lost first 2 FO's not gonna go over all of the lost FO's there are a lot. A lot!

1:20 Coasting back for Chiefs 1st goal against

1:55 has stick knocked out of his hand on the pk one hand on the stick. 

2:25 Nice side step of a check

3:10 turns the puck over at his own blue line

3:30 Nice hit but again drops his stick

6:25 Good Def play on PK

6:45 Lost draw leisurely picks up a body 2nd goal against.

7:15 Weak on the puck rush stuffed

10:00 Krebs doesn't hold the line result breakaway goal against

12:15 Gets leveled puck watching

12:50 gets stripped of the puck on the PP nearly a shorthanded breakaway against

14:40 Good battle behind the net overall great shift from Krebs.

17:00 Brutal cross-ice pass intercepted on the PP

---- On ice for another goal against this one he had nothing to do with.

18:40 beauty breakaway goal

19:15 turn over

20:20 Good puck battle won

24:25 Great shift from Krebs huge 2 minute shift to end the game nice crispy passes covered in sauce. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree. He's got great positioning, good stick work. Interesting (at 2.10) how he plucked the puck loose from Byram along the boards and scored with 3 Giants surrounding him. Pretty dominant. He looks like he could possibly create a scoring chance every shift. Dach is a C, so what would happen with Horvat? 

Just move Pettersson to the wing.

48 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Exactly, its usually a pretty easy transition for a centre to play wing. Plus its always nice to have that winger that can slot into the C role if needed.

Pettersson - Dach - Boeser would be sick filth, NHL might ban it.

That's the kind of line you give a name to.

Edited by 112

3 minutes ago, 112 said:

Pettersson - Dach - Boeser would be sick filth, NHL might ban it.

That's the kind of line you give a name to.

Horvat can never have nice things. :(

Dach - Pettersson

Horvat - Boeser

• Upvote 1

For me the tiers are looking like

1/2: Hughes, Kakko

3-5: Dach, Byram, Turcotte

6/7: Podkolzin, Cozens 

Then

8-13: Heinola, Krebs, Caufield, Soderstrom, Zegras, Boldy

The 8-13 could go in any order. Hard to rank.

Thats where we'll pick. I think Soderstrom should be a top consideration. Chance to add a projected Top4 (potentially top pair) RHD. Would be a great fit for us. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

For me the tiers are looking like

1/2: Hughes, Kakko

3-5: Dach, Byram, Turcotte

6/7: Podkolzin, Cozens 

Then

8-13: Heinola, Krebs, Caufield, Soderstrom, Zegras, Boldy

The 8-13 could go in any order. Hard to rank.

Thats where we'll pick. I think Soderstrom should be a top consideration. Chance to add a projected Top4 (potentially top pair) RHD. Would be a great fit for us. 

I agree with your 1-7 For us I would pick 8-13 like this.

8 - Zegras

9 - Soderstrom 

10 - Caufield

11 - Heinola 

12 - Krebs

13 - Boldy 

I also think there is another tier from about 20-40 that has a lot of really good players in it. With our second round pick we should be able to find a good top 6 forward, or a solid defence prospect

8 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

The only scenario I don’t want is the Coilers drafting Bowen Byrum a pick before us.  

With the standings where they are I don't see them drafting ahead of us. And if they do it'll be in the 8 spot while we are in the 9. Byram won't make it that far. I imagine. Besides, the last time they took a d-man ahead of us was the Bo Horvat draft. I think that worked out nicely for us :ph34r: Albeit they drafted 7 and us 9, but still. 

Although with their lottery luck they very likely could draft 1-3 and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. 

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

With the standings where they are I don't see them drafting ahead of us. And if they do it'll be in the 8 spot while we are in the 9. Byram won't make it that far. I imagine. Besides, the last time they took a d-man ahead of us was the Bo Horvat draft. I think that worked out nicely for us :ph34r: Albeit they drafted 7 and us 9, but still. 

Although with their lottery luck they very likely could draft 1-3 and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. 

With the standings of the Oilers currently having better draft odds than the Canucks? 

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

With the standings of the Oilers currently having better draft odds than the Canucks? 

They have a game in hand and we have 1 more point. So, I guess I am assuming they'll at least win as many games as we do. If we can win with just Boeser and Petey producing regularly I am hopeful they can at least make something work with McJesus, Draisaitl and Nuge. Lol

15 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

They have a game in hand and we have 1 more point. So, I guess I am assuming they'll at least win as many games as we do. If we can win with just Boeser and Petey producing regularly I am hopeful they can at least make something work with McJesus, Draisaitl and Nuge. Lol

Never underestimate the Oilers tank it is elite. Top 3 pick is but a formality.

In the past couple years I have been more team tank than this year and worried so much about how every point we gained lost us possible percentage points in the lottery.

I am at the point now that I don’t care win or lose just let the chips fall how they fall. Lottery has proven to be a crap shoot and its been funner watching our guys play well. 

If we end up 5 or 13 I don’t care much as there is good players throughout round 1-2. I’m not going to watch the lottery this year. Be nice to grab a top 3 with some luck but I am basically just going to assume we drop at least 1 spot maybe 2 from wherever we actually finish and be good with that. 

• Cheers 1