The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

Fight card for tonight: Darcy, Gadjovich, Hamilton, Anselmini,Woods, MacEwen, Kero (got jumped and blindsided by Blandisi game misconduct)

Pens 59 penalty minutes, Comets 45,  Comets 3/7 on the PP and 5/5 on PK

Every fight was instigated by the Pens and the more we scored the more they came back with the rough stuff.  There was a lot more roughing going on than made the board.

Besides Boucher 3 goals and 1 assist the Comets standout was Mazanec.  He made some really quality saves and the one goal was an odd deflect, possibly off his own stick.

• Upvote 1

SIFERS TO PLAY FINAL GAME SUNDAY

Apr 11, 2019

Utica Comets defenseman Jaime Sifers has announced that he will be playing his final game of professional hockey on Sunday against the Syracuse Crunch.

Sifers, 36, has enjoyed 13 seasons of hockey in the pro ranks, including nearly 650 in the AHL. His career has spanned across the NHL, AHL, and DEL (Germany) and has included over 800 regular season games.

As he told the Utica Observer-Dispatch: “I probably thought about it every day for about six months, from last summer’s training until all the way to Christmas time. It just seemed like the right thing to do,” Sifers said Wednesday, acknowledging he wanted to be open with his teammates. “I still love playing. It is just time to move on. One of my proudest achievements is leaving everything on the ice. That’s what you want to be: a player who your teammates know you played your heart out for them.”

Sifers played in two seasons with the Utica Comets and made an impact both on and off the ice. “We love living in tight-knit communities and this is definitely one of them,” Sifers said, referring to his wife and two girls. “It provides a lot of closure to be able to end in a place like this and know we used to call this home. It will always be a special place for us.

Though he will miss the daily competition, he is ready to turn the page and embark on the next chapter of his life. “I love competing with a group of guys that are all pulling in the same direction,” he said. “The emotion of the games, the emotion of the buildings you play in, especially (Utica). I’m definitely going to miss that energy and getting your heart racing, your chills down your body. Things like that you can’t find really anywhere else.”

The first 1,000 fans at Sunday’s game can receive a Sifers bobblehead upon entry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Is this just current nhlers? Cause I’m positive burrows played like 130 games in the echl before playing in the NHL

Yes, look at the top.  It's players that the ECHL says is on the 2018-2019 NHL opening night rosters.  Though Burrows is another example where good scouting picked him up while he was playing in the ECHL -- he never played in the ECHL as a Canuck.  This is more like the Comets signing an ECHL player they like, then they impress and work themselves up to an NHL contract.  This isn't like the Canucks sending its own prospects to the ECHL because they couldn't hack it in the AHL. 

Anyways, goals by the kids:

Edited by GoldenAlien

13 hours ago, TomatoPieFan said:

I have always thought Boucher to have a great shot good to see Reid putting up good numbers, I do hope he gets another shot with the Canucks, sometimes timing is everything.

Is Brendan Woods our property, FA, or Carolina’s?

Thats a strong kid if I can remember, that can contribute in today’s game.

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I have always thought Boucher to have a great shot good to see Reid putting up good numbers, I do hope he gets another shot with the Canucks, sometimes timing is everything.

Is Brendan Woods our property, FA, or Carolina’s?

Thats a strong kid if I can remember, that can contribute in today’s game.

Woods is on an AHL contract with the Comets so he is technically Canucks property via an AHL contract.  It is a one year deal so he will be a FA for next year.

• Thanks 1

New interview with Sautner:

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/04/10/ashton-sautner-played-17-nhl-games-this-season-what-did-it-take-for-him-to-get-to-that-point/

Some good insights.  I think this is pretty applicable to a lot of prospects making the jump to pro:

“You know, I’ve been asked that and have had people say that it looks like I’ve upped my physical game and that I’m playing with more edge. To be honest, when I was in junior as a 19/20-year-old, just the older that I got in the league, you know, you develop more and at that time I was playing against younger guys, some of them were 16-years-old. I think it was a similar thing with my transition to pro. The first two years, you know, I was pretty light. I definitely needed to put on some weight coming out of junior.

I had some really long years of junior where, you know, my body got a little worn down and I had short summers to train. So I was kind of a little bit behind the eight-ball that way. After my first two years of pro, I really dug in and got a great trainer back in Kindersley.

For me, it was a matter of really putting on weight. To be able to play that style of game, I’ve always, you know, thought that I could do that, but once I put on some weight, now that I’m up around 200-pounds, it’s a little easier.

You realize that when you’re playing against men, that having that extra 15, almost 20 pounds makes a big difference.”

On coaching and resources in Utica:

“I don’t know…well, I do know, actually. They have a simple recipe. They have a great coaching staff down there. All the resources are right there for us as players, whether it’s in the summer when we are training, on the ice during the season, after practice or before practice.

There’s a number of times that Glennie, (Glenn Carnegie) the skills coach from Vancouver, comes to Utica to work with just the defencemen alone. So, as a player, when you have these things at your disposal, you try to take advantage of them as best as you can.

As far as coaches, they’ve done a great job. Gary Agnew especially, for me has been great. He’s very experienced, he’s been in hockey for a very long time. He has a lot of little pointers here and there that, you know, you might never think of yourself. A guy like him who’s been around the game for so long can point those things out to you. I think he’s been great for me.

Trent has been really good for me. Trent, you know, when he played, he was kind of a hard nosed style of player and he wants his players to compete hard and play that same way and you know, I think that I’ve just thrived under them and obviously I’m up here trying to make the most of it and continue playing that same way.”

“Honestly, you know, they are in communication every day. So, if a player needs something down in Utica, or up here, they can get it.

Utica has been a great place for me. You know, it’s a hockey town in Upstate New York and I was born in Flin Flon, Manitoba, which to me is very similar. A small community like that, that has a hockey team and they rally around it. It’s incredible the support that you get when you’re a player there.

It all goes hand-in-hand, I mean, you play well and you try to win and play hard for your fans and in return, they come out and support you like that.

So, I think as a whole organization, whatever you need, like I say, whether it is during your summer training or during the season on the ice, a lot of things are there for you, so I think that it’s important as players to take advantage of that and use it to your advantage, for sure.”

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

New interview with Sautner:

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/04/10/ashton-sautner-played-17-nhl-games-this-season-what-did-it-take-for-him-to-get-to-that-point/

Some good insights.  I think this is pretty applicable to a lot of prospects making the jump to pro:

On coaching and resources in Utica:

There has been a common theme from guys like Sautner and MacEwen who have credited the coaching staff in Utica in that they worked hard to improve their game.  Cull values hard work and I still remember a quote from him a couple months ago that he should not have to beg professionals to work hard in practice and in games. 

Edited by UticaHockey
  • Upvote 1

Just now, UticaHockey said:

There has been a common theme from guys like Sautner and MacEwen who have created the coaching staff in Utica in that they worked hard to improve their game.  Cull values hard work and I still remember a quote from him a couple months ago that he should not have to beg professionals to work hard in practice and in games. 

Why are we drafting, and trading for young guys who aren’t going to work hard?  

12 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

There has been a common theme from guys like Sautner and MacEwen who have created the coaching staff in Utica in that they worked hard to improve their game.  Cull values hard work and I still remember a quote from him a couple months ago that he should not have to beg professionals to work hard in practice and in games. 

Probably referring to Dahlen,Gadjovich  and Palmu who showed little work ethic early in the season....

So no changes coming in Utica, JB just decided he might as well make the trip to show his face arena the AHL team? There really is no point getting rid of the coach of the Comets, just need to better insulate our AHL team with better players. Can't expect 1st year pros to light it up and lead the team, that almost never happens. Hoping for big years next year out of Lind and Gadj ( hope he can get quicker this summer)

Be an interesting G situation, Dipietro battling it out for starts with Kielly and Bachman if he can return to action

Well, just watched the last Comet's game and Kole Lind just scored to win the game in a shootout.  Actually Kole, Jonah and Lucus Jasik all looked good in a very exciting game.  Go Comet's :towel:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2