The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Montreal Canadiens at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, stawns said:

this team has played it's heart out in the first quarter of this season.  Anyone whining about this downturn should be embarrassed.  I don't care what happens for the rest of this season, what they have shown in the first 20 games has been uplifting

Was just sitting here thinking along those lines.  Here we finally have changes in the team that most were screaming for:  youth and speed...but  it's not enough.

The bar is set at:  win every game, convincingly?

I'm with coach Green in that, they're playing their asses off.

Some challenge the "excuses" (I like to call them reasons) being offered for the team possibly, being a bit tired however, I'd like to know what it is that they get from having to point out things in a negative way?   Not accepting any reasoning or looking at possible scenarios that contribute to this mini losing streak. 

The fact that they're honing in on it is kind of ridiculous.  Small sample size that ignores what they just DID do.  Like it counts for nothing and this is the "real" deal.

At this point, I feel we should be focusing on the positives...taking away the good things that we can because this IS a team that is learning and developing.  We do them a huge disservice as a fan base to already be "deciding" that they're not good enough.

For what? 

They're entertaining us.  They're giving us some highlight footage stuff and, when strung together, some great wins have come out of that.

I guess it's about tempering the expectations...if you only accept winning (it all), then sure...probably you can look at this negatively.  Be disappointed.  But that's short sighted and ignoring a whole lot of good along the way.  EP, alone, is reason to be excited not "concerned".   Bo.  Jake, Stech.  Brock, Hutty.  The others who are in the pipes and about to emerge.  Come on, it's a great time to be a fan.

If you're here to watch a team being built that will give us reason to show up, we're already experiencing that.  Through adversity, they're managing to give us some good games...last night included.  Yes, we lost...but we could have just as easily won it.

So if all we watch for is a SC win, like most fanbases,  we may be disappointed, yes.  Or no.   Odd are against us.  But there's a whole lot of great hockey that takes us to that point and it's all good if you look for the little things.  Not just the result.

Are there fixes that need to be addressed?  Sure.  Most teams have them to some degree.  But it's heading in the right direction and I wish we'd just enjoy it for what it is...a team that's learning and exceeding most expectations.  Let  them having a period of adjustment and get everyone healthy before determining things.

In any job if you have new employees stepping in and they aren't perfect, do you chastize them in order to help them learn?  Or exercise patience as they do? 

We didn't even know if some could play at this level...the fact that they are in the position they're in and have shown us what they have counts for something.  If you're going to do this evaluating on a game by game basis, don't throw out the games where they did excel and win. 

1 hour ago, Rindiculous said:

Oh boy did he ever.  That third period might have been Horvat's best period as a Canuck.  He seemed to have a puck on a string and was all over the Habs when in the offensive zone.  Amazing he didn't end up getting a point last night, but it really shows how good his game has become.

Not even entering his prime. 

I think it was Brian Burke who said players that are defensively sound like Horvat and can take that many faceoffs and win most of those draws are gonna be playing in the NHL for decades (barring an injury of course).

Think it was Simpson last night too that said Horvat has Patrice Bergeron vibes.

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

A couple of things

First off, the fact that we are a rebuilding team, indicates we were generally a old and slow team, through out the line up, and as we have started to rebuild, our young players are still waiting for passes, and or are waiting for players to break free, this cause time delay and allows opposing teams a chance to position for contact. My thought to this thought is as we add younger players, we will have more possession, but each player will have the puck less, because the puck will be doing he work, and the players will be moving quicker for holes, this will become apparent, I hope over the next couple of years.

Secondly, I hope we can improve our team size, while we are still drafting our elite talent, as we are a little small in general. I also think that as our talent improves we will have puck possession more, and our players will be better at defending, causing less demand to block shots, as I think our blocking of shots has caused a lot of our injury whoa' s.

Fractured jaws, broken feet and arm's should generally be less frequent. Again, a lot of things develop because of pressure, and players would not be in the same position if there was more pressure being exerted, on all area's (example of this is how Pettersson is now being singled out and if Broeser was with him, dmen would have to be watching 2 elite's instead of one, this actually allows more room on the ice for both, and hits are less frequent - generally)

I think this is what separates the top end clubs form the average, or the bottom end clubs, which is a no-bainer really, but as the team gets quicker, faster, passes better, and is able to regroup quicker in transition, we will see both a better consistency and less injuries, and as a result, more victories.

I watched a bit of the London Knights game yesterday. The size of most of those kids was a startling. Not only big but most could really skate. I agree that the Canucks have to get bigger. I was disappointed that Gaunce only got about 5 minutes of TOI last night. Obviously Green is trying to communicate something to Gaunce but it is not registering whatever that is. His future with Van doesn't look good.  

28 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Was just sitting here thinking along those lines.  Here we finally have changes in the team that most were screaming for:  youth and speed...but  it's not enough.

Some challenge the "excuses" (I like to call them reasons) being offered for the team possibly, being a bit tired however, I'd like to know what it is that they get from having to point out things in a negative way?   Not accepting any reasoning or looking at possible scenarios that contribute to this mini losing streak. 

The fact that they're honing in on it is kind of ridiculous.  Small sample size that ignores what they just DID do.  Like it counts for nothing and this is the "real" deal.

At this point, I feel we should be focusing on the positives...taking away the good things that we can because this IS a team that is learning and developing.  We do them a huge disservice as a fan base to already be "deciding" that they're not good enough.

For what? 

They're entertaining us.  They're giving us some highlight footage stuff and, when strung together, some great wins have come out of that.

I guess it's about tempering the expectations...if you only accept winning (it all), then sure...probably you can look at this negatively.  Be disappointed.  But that's short sighted and ignoring a whole lot of good along the way.  EP, alone, is reason to be excited not "concerned".   Bo.  Jake, Stech.  Brock.  The others who are in the pipes and about to emerge.  Come on, it's a great time to be a fan.

If you're here to watch a team being built that will give us reason to show up, we're already experiencing that.  Through adversity, they're managing to give us some good games...last night included.  Yes, we lost...but we could have just as easily won it.

So if all we watch for is a SC win, like most fanbases,  we may be disappointed, yes.  Or no.   Odd are against us.  But there's a whole lot of great hockey that takes us to that point and it's all good if you look for the little things.  Not just the result.

Are there fixes that need to be addressed?  Sure.  Most teams have them to some degree.  But it's heading in the right direction and I wish we'd just enjoy it for what it is...a team that's learning and exceeding most expectations.  Let  them having a period of adjustment and get everyone healthy before determining things.

In any job if you have new employees stepping in and they aren't perfect, do you chastize them in order to help them learn?  Or exercise patience as they do? 

We didn't even know if some could play at this level...the fact that they are in the position they're in and have shown us what they have counts for something.  If you're going to do this evaluating on a game by game basis, don't throw out the games where they did excel and win. 

Many label me as the perpetual 'tanker'. To me it is all about putting the pieces together to form a team that can challenge for a CUP. Green said it in the post game last night. We want to be better than a winning regular season team. We want to challenge for a CUP. To me the time line is everything. Young players are coming out of their first contracts and are getting resigned at amounts that put any hope of creating a serious CUP challenging roster in doubt. I am hoping that it does not come down to lucking out with 3 years of drafting to produce a core that can go all the way. The Laffers are already looking at losing Nylander. 

IMHO one more solid draft year gives Vancouver the prospect depth to build a contender from. I want nothing less that a contender and will be quite happy to watch this group work towards a CUP. 

34 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

For what? 

I guess it's about tempering the expectations...if you only accept winning (it all), then sure...probably you can look at this negatively.  Be disappointed.  But that's short sighted and ignoring a whole lot of good along the way.  EP, alone, is reason to be excited not "concerned".   Bo.  Jake, Stech.  Brock.  The others who are in the pipes and about to emerge.  Come on, it's a great time to be a fan.

There are way too many people who think it's all or nothing.  If you're not winning the Cup, then you should be tanking for the best draft pick you can get.  What they fail to see is the process of building a consistent contending team, it doesn't happen over a season or two.

No other team in the NHL has had as many key players injured... 

Tough to win without your #1 dman who was having a Norris caliber year... Tough to win without the goalie that single handedly gave Sweden the gold... Brock... Sven... The list just goes on. 

If healthy, the canucks are by far the best team in the league. No doubt. 

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Get what you're saying, but this is a new/ decimated team playing an attacking game of hockey.

We all want wins, and they will come as well, but I'm a fan... don't really fancy 82 game snooze fest season, even if it would give us a few more wins. 

Let them develop as a team. Bar a few all the game has been very tight fought affairs, and we will get there... Actually amazing that Green has been able to keep it so close without a third of the starting line up.

I can agree with that. Wins for EP40s confidence. Bo. 

Anyone who saw EP's reaction to scoring should see how competitive he is.  How can you doubt this team with the heart they're showing?  The determination and desire to win should convince the doubters that they are on the right track.  Just because they didn't win, doesn't mean they couldn't have.  One pp goal and it's decided.

A booster shot of a few wins is in order at this point, but I have confidence in this team with players like he and Bo who are so passionate about winning.  So determined to do so.  I have faith in them that they'll only keep progressing and finding success if that drive and determination is there.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Not even entering his prime. 

I think it was Brian Burke who said players that are defensively sound like Horvat and can take that many faceoffs and win most of those draws are gonna be playing in the NHL for decades (barring an injury of course).

Think it was Simpson last night too that said Horvat has Patrice Bergeron vibes.

Yes Bergeron vibes.... and we have him pencilled in as out second line centre... future looks good if your team is strong enough to play Bergeron on your second line.... 

Kessler in his prime could carry the team on his back. Bo has the same ability minus the entitlement and nastiness 

Watching the game again (sucker for punishment or because it was entertaining?...hnmmm)

Some of the defensive plays by EP are equally impressive.  Like the one  I just watched (in the 2nd)...in front of our net...sprawling, but NEVER gives up on the play.   Then skates back hard as the play changes into offensive.

So much here to be excited about.

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Watching the game again (sucker for punishment or because it was entertaining?...hnmmm)

Some of the defensive plays by EP are equally impressive.  Like the one  I just watched (in the 2nd)...in front of our net...sprawling, but NEVER gives up on the play.   Then skates back hard as the play changes into offensive.

So much here to be excited about.

He’s a super competitive guy.  Love watching him work so hard away from the puck.  

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

This point also is part of the discussion with injury.  I don't believe the training/conditioning isn't where it should be...especially when considering that beyond the training staff, this team has had the Sedins to lead in the staying fit department.  Injuries are part of the game for all teams, not just ours.

In relation to groin injuries...hockey is a sport that just opens the door for them as skating calls on the adductors and is played on ice.  You can stretch, warm up, work on those muscles during training (they certainly do) but making turns, etc., especially with speed, can result in groin issues.

Bodies need time to rest.  Our schedule is brutal and, while not an "excuse" for anything, definitely is a factor.

Thanks for your kind answer to my question, Deb!

Archived