Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Josh Leivo | #17 | LW/RW

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I bet that he would put one in for his 1st game with a friend of mine. I'm going to call it again. He will score again tonight.

Here's hoping for more than one from Leivo.... Canucks need all the help they can get right now.

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Here's hoping for more than one from Leivo.... Canucks need all the help they can get right now.

He reminds me so much of Burrows. A right shot guy who likes the left side and a clunky skater who gets around the ice. This guy is a steal if we really need him :))

• Upvote 2

I really hope he finds his calling here as Toronto never saw fit to give him much of a chance to prove himself on a regular basis.

If he is playing with a play making center or winger he appears to have a decent shot and might be able to pot his fair share of goals. I have not seen enough of him playing to have any idea if he is much of a play maker in his own right though.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Ask him why he wears a toque indoors, where it’s warm?  

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Trent Cull on Josh Leivo:

"I think Josh Leivo just needed a chance. I'm a big Leivo fan -- he doesn't over-think things. He's an efficient guy with how he moves, I love his puck protection. He's got good hockey sense."

And what exactly did we give up to get Leivo?  Basically a bag of pucks, or a sack of rocks.  I guess TO was going to lose him to waivers, so got (at least) an AHL guy for him?

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And what exactly did we give up to get Leivo?  Basically a bag of pucks, or a sack of rocks.  I guess TO was going to lose him to waivers, so got (at least) an AHL guy for him?

I'm thinking that JB was worried that LA would claim him off of waivers ahead of them thus the trade of Carcone.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm thinking that JB was worried that LA would claim him off of waivers ahead of them thus the trade of Carcone.

It appears that JB is mentoring young Dukas. Maybe Leivo was a down payment on a bigger deal? 

It is certainly possible that GM's Kyle Dubas and Jim Benning have something else that they are working on and that this was just the first stage...... purely conjecture on my part though.

On 12/9/2018 at 7:57 AM, Alflives said:

Ask him why he wears a toque indoors, where it’s warm?  

Because a toque totally messes up men's hair when they take it off.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, smokes said:

Because a toque totally messes up men's hair when they take it off.

Once you put a toque on, you're committed.

Nothing against Leivo and cheers to him for playing so well.  But I don't think he's the guy that should be playing with Pettersson and Boeser long term. 

This guy appears to be a tremendous addition and checks many boxes of what this team needed. 

I'm not sure he will be a long term piece here in the top 6 (highly unlikely) but a great placeholder in the interim. 

And acquired without taking anything away from the NHL roster. Well done pro scouts for identifying a realistic target and GMJB for getting it done!

• Upvote 1

I'm hesitant to get excited by Leivo's start as Leipsic had a similar start. We'll see if he can last long-term.

22 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm hesitant to get excited by Leivo's start as Leipsic had a similar start. We'll see if he can last long-term.

He's providing a little more grit to Pettersson's finess so I can see him doing better,

48 minutes ago, smokes said:

He's providing a little more grit to Pettersson's finess so I can see him doing better,

That and he appears to be much better defensively than Leipsic plus he has the size / strength to be a net front presence. He may not stay on that line but what ever line he is on, as long as he is sound defensively; he would be an upgrade over Leipsic.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It is certainly possible that GM's Kyle Dubas and Jim Benning have something else that they are working on and that this was just the first stage...... purely conjecture on my part though.

If there was a bigger deal, I'm sure that would have been executed on the day of the Leivo trade with Leivo/Carcone being pieces that were moved alongside others.

It does show that Benning is working the phones. Word is that he's very active on the phones. Trades are tough. This deal fell into the Canucks lap because 1) It was either trade him or waive him from TO's perspective and 2) The Canucks clearly wanted Leivo and were willing to make a move as opposed to seeing if he'd get to them on waivers (which he wouldn't because of LA who claimed Leipsic and Scherbak and probably would've claimed Leivo too).

I still think this is a good sign the Canucks and Leafs COULD make a deal near the TDL. We do have defensive pieces that the Leafs may covet (Gudbranson, Edler) so a deal isn''t an impossible thing to think about. Also, as a side note, I don't believe the Canucks will trade Tanev because they want him to play with Hughes next season and see if there's something there.