The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

On 12/14/2018 at 11:59 PM, Lancaster said:

It's funny how some articles are pointing out that this may be the "final straw" with the housing market in Vancouver.  So I guess if that's the case, it's confirmation that prices are the by-product of the influx of Chinese money.  

I think the Chinese investor card has been overplayed. Vancouver is attractive for its temperate weather compared to its other counterparts. Its location and demographics is also an attraction. But I doubt that when Chinese investments leave Canada that prices would drop to levels that ordinary Canadians would feel comfortably pay off. Home owners aren't going to sell their place at a loss because of the prices now.

14 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I think the Chinese investor card has been overplayed. Vancouver is attractive for its temperate weather compared to its other counterparts. Its location and demographics is also an attraction. But I doubt that when Chinese investments leave Canada that prices would drop to levels that ordinary Canadians would feel comfortably pay off. Home owners aren't going to sell their place at a loss because of the prices now.

Theres lots of people outside of the Chinese who buy in Vancouver.  Like you said, people want to be here.  The weather is wet but there isn't major winters and stupidly hot summers like other places, lots of wealthy Americans, etc. like to buy out here also but its easy to pick and point out the Chinese.  And yea you're right, prices won't drop drastically, they will take a bit of a dip just with the slowing market and the influx of condos gettting popped up for more homes available, but the only people who are looking to sell at a loss are those who have already made their money on the market rising so much.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I listen to this earlier but apparently the government has not confirmed if it's related to this situation. Probably smoking pot and bragging about democracy.

Btw  BBC??? So who is it that really loves the commonwealth? 

BBC is a better link to post than half of the regular NA outlets.

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I listen to this earlier but apparently the government has not confirmed if it's related to this situation. Probably smoking pot and bragging about democracy.

Btw  BBC??? So who is it that really loves the commonwealth? 

Incorrect work visa. Was teaching there.    

I love to travel but honestly i don't really have any desire to visit China.........

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Incorrect work visa. Was teaching there.    

I love to travel but honestly i don't really have any desire to visit China.........

I’d like to ride my scooter along that big wall the Chinese have.  That’s worth going there for.  And I want to meet Jackie Chsn.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’d like to ride my scooter along that big wall the Chinese have.  That’s worth going there for.  And I want to meet Jackie Chsn.  

Just so you know Alf....that wall was built to keep aliens out...just like the one Trump isn't building and Mexico definitely won't be paying for.

Kind of makes you wonder though, if Emperor Qin ever told his subjects that he was going to "build a Wall and the Mongols are going to pay for it!"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just so you know Alf....that wall was built to keep aliens out...just like the one Trump isn't building and Mexico definitely won't be paying for.

Kind of makes you wonder though, if Emperor Qin ever told his subjects that he was going to "build a Wall and the Mongols are going to pay for it!"

You’re hot tiday Rupert.  I laughed a a few of you posts.  Top quality stuff.  :towel:been drinking though, so ptrryu much anything seems important right nirvana.  

11 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Feels like Canada’s bein raped by a BBC in this whole mess.

Really?  The BBC is not on my regular news rotation, I just occasionally hop over there, but that sounds interesting.  I'll have to catch up on their China vs. Canada articles.

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Trudeau hasn't even contacted Xi about the detention of Canadians. Basically with him at the helm and you are unlawfully detained overseas, you're &^@#ed.

The guy is in "charge" of the entire country, I bet he has people under him in the pecking order to do that stuff, at least for the first few phone calls.

Maybe the Minister For Foreign Affairs for example?

Ohh got a link to Trudeau not calling or is this just something you heard somewhere?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, gurn said:

The guy is in "charge" of the entire country, I bet he has people under him in the pecking order to do that stuff, at least for the first few phone calls.

Ohh got a link to Trudeau not calling or is this just something you heard somewhere?

I know; two weeks now these guys have been detained for. There's always some convenient excuse..

On the Global News ticker this morning.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

46 minutes ago, gurn said:

Trudeau is going through diplomatic channels to figure this out. We're in a a crap position on this. Phoning Xi also gives China an extra opportunity to pressure us to release Meng. Phone calls work both ways. 

There isn't that much we can really do, its not like we're going to send in a special forces team to get our guys. We do have to stand our ground tho and not ever be pressured to not follow our laws, if we do that we're screwed forever with China. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The third Canadian who was detained, (the school teacher, whose arrest was "unrelated" to the other two) is back in Canada.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canadian-detained-in-china-has-returned-home/ar-BBRxMeX?li=AAggNb9

There isn't much detail on how, or why she was released. It's possible (maybe even probable) that back channel negotiations such as Jimmy was mentioning were responsible. It's also possible that the Chinese realized they were starting to look like Trump-style toddlers.

Either way, IMHO, this should send a strong message to any other Canadians in China: GTFO!