The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until Markstrom has proven himself?

Rate this topic

The_Rocket

He has to be consistently good the rest of the season. Cut way back on the easy goals, especially early ones against.  Show you can steal a few by yourself. String together runs.  And if, a big if, we remain relatively healthy (obviously including Marky) and Markstrom does check all those boxes?  It would mean we made the playoffs.

Then we'd get to see how he does in that pressure cooker.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:30 AM, Duodenum said:

It'll take the rest of this season and all of next season given his track record to convince me he's a league average starter. 

that and he needs to show up for a playoff round or two

Remember earlier in the season when some posters were suggesting trading Marky because Nilsson looked so good early.

Nilly has cooled. 

Marky needs to stay hot at least until the end of next season.

I will say though that he carries himeslf like a starter this season like never before.

HIs recent interview he looked for the first time like "veteran leadership"

He needs to keep that up, steal some games, get some shut outs and win some series

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

Hes proven that he is playing his best hockey, and in that , he is capable of more than .907%. Hes finally got a bit of a team in front if him as the entire team effort coincides with markys success. 

There's opinions on this board that are conditional to unrelenting success so he will, like the last, never be good enough. 

SP isn’t everything but it does give us a pretty good idea on how good a goalie is...GAA is more of a team stat, I’m glad they stopped automatically giving the Vezina to the goalie on the team that played more games with the lowest GAA years ago as there is a lot more going on with those teams, usually.  If you go back the period in the dead puck era when Hasek was dominanting (dominator indeed) and winning Vezinas year after year (and the Hart), his sp was way above his peers, and would stand up today as excellent.  

Its not everything, but for the most part good goalies make the first two or even three saves despite how bad their defence may be, and their sp is one of the main metrics used in comparing them to their peers.  Markstrom has a long way to there still if you average out the season...not so much at all his last seven games though.  

3 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Ummmm as i remember most people knew Lack was a career back-up that at times played great but never on a consistent basis to be a starter for any amount of time...

Not sure how long you have been on here maybe not long, but it was said frequently by many posters on here, just like how Cody Hodgson was the next Captain :lol:, but yes most people knew he was a backup. Heck Tortorella used to think Lack gave the Canucks the best chance to win over Luongo, he even thought Lack was better :lol:.

Canuck73 just likes to troll me as you can see, but something tells me he doesn't even remember Tortorella playing Eddie as his #1 

• Wat 1

5 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Not sure how long you have been on here maybe not long, but it was said frequently by many posters on here, just like how Cody Hodgson was the next Captain :lol:, but yes most people knew he was a backup. Heck Tortorella used to think Lack gave the Canucks the best chance to win over Luongo, he even thought Lack was better :lol:.

Canuck73 just likes to troll me as you can see, but something tells me he doesn't even remember Tortorella playing Eddie as his #1 

It was said by a handful of posters here, not frequently. And the boos when he was announced as the starter of the Heritage Classic tell you who the fans thought the real starter was. And I would know, I was there...

So no not trolling you just pointing out your exaggeration. 

D2E9EC59-B001-40FD-99E8-084B0BF44D57.jpeg

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

On 12/23/2018 at 12:02 AM, The_Rocket said:

It’s no secret that Jacob Markstrom is currently playing the best hockey of his career right now. His past 6 games he has 6 wins and a sub 2 GAA. Not only are his numbers really good, but even a fan like me who knows very little about goaltending can tell he looks more solid in the net and is giving up fewer opportunities for easy goals. 

Now obviously, 6 games is a small sample size. But I started to wonder, how long until we’re convinced Jacob markstrom can be a legit starter? 1 month? The rest of the season? This season and next season? Lots of goalies have one good year then cool off again (Talbots a couple years ago, Mike Smith last year, etc.). 

I’d be wary of labeling him as a bonafide number 1 until at least the end of the season to see if he can at least maintain his above average numbers from here on out. 

Anyways, I don’t know how long this play from markstrom is going to last but I’m going to enjoy every minute of it till it’s over. 

He’s had an excellent stretch no doubt, but honestly, I’d give him this year AND most of next year before I start to say, “ok - this dude’s for real.”

Any goalie can have a hot stretch, and any goalie can have a good year.  Jose Theodore says hi by the way.  Markstrom has been an excellent stretch of hockey lately, but the sample size is still very small.

He needs to be consistent in order to be able to prove himself. As much as I'd like to think he'll continue like this, it's a small sample size after a larger sample size from when we lost 11 of 12 games.

Basically, if he has a good season where he shows he's a starter then he's proven himself. Even if (hopefully when) Demko comes up, I'd say the same thing. Little spurts like this amidst a sea of not so good days? There's a lot more for him to do to "prove himself".

Edited by The Lock

26 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

He’s had an excellent stretch no doubt, but honestly, I’d give him this year AND most of next year before I start to say, “ok - this dude’s for real.”

Any goalie can have a hot stretch, and any goalie can have a good year.  Jose Theodore says hi by the way.  Markstrom has been an excellent stretch of hockey lately, but the sample size is still very small.

Two words: Andrew Hammond. :P

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

but has markstrom stolen us even 1 game yet???? not sure i can say he can

Last night was a perfect example.... played a great game but got outplayed at the other end of the ice, wasn't a bad goal he let it at the end... but wasn't unstoppable either. If he could take these games to overtime (regardless of the outcome) and win a bunch where he steals a game for the Nucks, the conversation will change.

11 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

but has markstrom stolen us even 1 game yet???? not sure i can say he can

Columbus Dec 11. We had no business winning that game without him.

Pretty arguable he kept us in against STL in the first a couple games ago too. The final score flattered the team but it easily could have been 4-0 STL after the first period if not for him and completely out of reach.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Columbus Dec 11. We had no business winning that game without him.

Pretty arguable he kept us in against STL in the first a couple games ago too. The final score flattered the team but it easily could have been 4-0 STL after the first period if not for him and completely out of reach.

Noted. 1 fame. Single periods don’t really count but agree he is trending in the right direction

11 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Noted. 1 fame. Single periods don’t really count but agree he is trending in the right direction

STL was 'one period' (though he played well that whole game as well). Columbus he won us that whole game.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

It was said by a handful of posters here, not frequently. And the boos when he was announced as the starter of the Heritage Classic tell you who the fans thought the real starter was. And I would know, I was there...

So no not trolling you just pointing out your exaggeration. 

D2E9EC59-B001-40FD-99E8-084B0BF44D57.jpeg

How is it an exaggeration when you already said as well there were a handful of people on here who said that? Although there was more than that, but at least now you're finally acknowledging that instead of trolling me like there wasn't any by tagging me in one of your troll posts. The whole point of my response was people on here, not in the arena in the Heritage Classic where paying fans know who's the better player, so you're telling me all those people at the game are on CDC too... 

• Wat 1

57 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

How is it an exaggeration when you already said as well there were a handful of people on here who said that? Although there was more than that, but at least now you're finally acknowledging that instead of trolling me like there wasn't any by tagging me in one of your troll posts. The whole point of my response was people on here, not in the arena in the Heritage Classic where paying fans know who's the better player, so you're telling me all those people at the game are on CDC too... 

Handful is not everyone nor a lot of people and it wasn’t said frequently, as you falsely claimed. 

Btw trolling is creeping someones profile and confuse face spamming numerous posts. 

The only troll between you and me is yourself :lol:

16DC5E5A-5A42-43BE-B8A0-C325A4273730.png

DD4D7C16-A0D9-4A73-87A0-CC1A054CC2AA.png

Edited by canuck73_3

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Handful is not everyone nor a lot of people and it wasn’t said frequently, as you falsely claimed. 

Btw trolling is creeping someones profile and confuse face spamming numerous posts. 

The only troll between you and me is yourself :lol:

16DC5E5A-5A42-43BE-B8A0-C325A4273730.png

DD4D7C16-A0D9-4A73-87A0-CC1A054CC2AA.png

The fact that you're actually saying that and not acknowledging that's what you did to me for 2 months and continue to do it is baffling, but what ever floats your weird boat, and looking at someone's profile isn't trolling just so you know. Trolling is what you're doing, but you just can't comprehend that sadly, and continue to troll and can't accept someone calling you out on it. You tag me saying basically and implying I don't know history and no one ever said that about Eddie Lack, then quote me and say well a handful may of said it :picard:. Trolling me by quoting someone else and tagging me in your response to them to get a reaction out of me is trolling, but again you just can't comprehend that sadly, but good luck with that.