The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until Markstrom has proven himself?

Rate this topic

The_Rocket

6 hours ago, therodigy said:

He's already playing like a starter based purely on this season's goalie stats:

GAA: 20th (minimum 20 GP)

SV%: 18th (minimum 20 GP)

Wins: T-6th

TOI: 7th

Thoughts?

Only 25 goalies in the nhl have played at least 20 games. So he's 18th and 20th out of 25. 

If you compare his stats vs goalies who have played at least 10 games he's like 37th.

Edited by fanfor42

Honestly, I will not trust markstrom for one calendar year from today. He has been up and down all of his career. I need a large sample size to believe he can be the guy. I'm more confident in Nilsson.. whom has been getting the harder teams. This will be Markstrom's first game in a while vs a top team. This is also the final game before the Christmas break so even a win here doesn't mean much since WPG could have players just going through the motions to get to the Christmas break.

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Only 25 goalies in the nhl have played at least 20 games. So he's 18th and 20th out of 25. 

If you compare his stats vs goalies who have played at least 10 games he's like 37th.

So with minimum 10 GP, Markstrom ranks 33rd in GAA and 28th in SV%.

28th still puts him in the top 31 goaltenders. His GAA, granted, isn't great in this comparison, and it will happen when you have two games with a combined 13 goals against (both wins btw), but at this point your dealing with deviations of 0.001% while the # of goaltenders more than double. I won't argue that he's a Vezina candidate as he hasn't demonstrated consistency over multiple seasons, but the fact of the matter is Markstrom is arguably the hottest goaltender leading into tonight's game vs Winnipeg, and is playing like a very solid starter.

9 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Honestly? Two years of consistent play. 

Cam Ward won the Conn Smythe once upon a time. 

Sure did, and for a stretch of five years or so was a money goaltender in hockey pools, one of the few guys you could bank on getting close to or over 40 wins a season.  Other guys to hit that mark include Smith, Anderson, Holtby, Luongo,  Andersson (this year for sure), Neimi (for a while he was a money goalie too), Lundqvist (close enough), Quick, MAF, Bobrovsky sure there are others too, going off memory alone and not google.  Big name goalies are big names for a reason, they have had decent to long stretches in their careers which is why they hang around when others fade out - they are number ones.  Markstrom is playing excellent hockey right now, he did it again last night, too bad the team couldn’t score on who was that in net again that got his first career shutout in how many games played?  Without his pedigree there is no way he would have been given a rope long enough to even get to this year on non rebuilding teams at least, does Benning have Alf’s crystal ball or something?  I like the new and improved model....

edit oh yesr Dubnyk, Hellebucyk and new kid on the block Vasilevsky..

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

Hes proven that he is playing his best hockey, and in that , he is capable of more than .907%. Hes finally got a bit of a team in front if him as the entire team effort coincides with markys success. 

There's opinions on this board that are conditional to unrelenting success so he will, like the last, never be good enough. 

• Cheers 1

I like Marky and I think he will spend the next 5 years with us until Demko takes the reigns fully and is playing 65+ games a year.

Always liked Marky. He's got a real goalie coach + team in front of him now. Skys the limit for him. 

At the end of the day I just want to win some hockey games.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:30 AM, Twilight Sparkle said:

hes never finished a season with a decent team in front of him. this year really defines his career

This season is the same, our defense "sucks" and it will take the whole team to play a great 2 way game as it seemed to last night holding a Jets team of the scoreboard most of the game for even a remote shot at the playoffs and it'll be probably the same for next season unless Benning pulls off some crazy magic and improves the D drastically and this team stops being a goalie graveyard...

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Pretty sure most people thought Eddie Lack was going to be the future #1 because he finally had some good games... How did that work out?

Ummmm as i remember most people knew Lack was a career back-up that at times played great but never on a consistent basis to be a starter for any amount of time...

• Cheers 1