The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until Markstrom has proven himself?

Rate this topic

The_Rocket

9 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Both of their career save percentages were well under .900 and GAA well over 3. 

Not numbers to brag about.   

Just because we love them, doesn’t mean they were great goalies.  

Just saying..........

Maybe not be today’s standards, but it’s also worth noting that when they played, guys with Sv% under 0.900 were regularly getting top-5 Vezina votes. Different eras from today. I mean, look at the 1982 Vezina (where King Richard placed 6th). Every single guy on the top-votes list was under 0.900, and Billy Smith won with an 0.898 Sv%. Or 1992, where McLean finished 2nd in Vezina voting with a 0.901, and 4/9 of the top vote getters were sub-0.900 Sv%.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Autocorrect typos
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Let’s not be prisoners of the moment.

Markstrom’s current stat line: 14-9-3, SV% .906, GAA 2.94

Markstrom’s career stat line: 73-88-22, SV% .908, GAA 2.85.

No saying Markstrom is a #1 but those stats don't tell the whole story. If I'm not mistaken those are better regual season stats that Patrick Roy when he won the cup with the Habs.  

He has proven himself.

He has proven that he is “at best” a 1b goalie.

The dude is going to be 29 in a month and has a lot of games under his belt.  He is what he is at this point.  He may have good stretches, just like any goalie... but it is far fetched to believe he will suddenly become a consistent guy who you can rely on every night to give average or better performances.

He may be a player just more suited to be a backup where he gets lots of practice time with the goalie coach to keep his technique sharp.

That could be fine for us as we need to begin feeding sheltered  starts to Demko and see if he can fulfil his promise, or whether we have to look beyond him to DiPietro.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

No saying Markstrom is a #1 but those stats don't tell the whole story. If I'm not mistaken those are better regual season stats that Patrick Roy when he won the cup with the Habs.  

Patrick Roy played in an era where stand up style was considered the way goalies should play and padding was considerably smaller than the body armor goalies wear today. From 1987-1990, he led the league in save percentage, with his percentages being .900, .908, and .912.

Terrible comparison, lol.

Edited by Blue Jay 22
  • Upvote 1

An interesting question/thread here. Quick scroll shows answers all over the map.

Personally feel that gt stats are skewed by their team's D/mediocre depth, more than most of us accept. Jacob starting with an uneven Florida D, then Van version, did his numbers no favours.

He was so highly-touted as a junior, having obvious physical(size, athleticism) gifts to be a strong 'tender. Of course the position comes down to the mind-strength. Lots of people bear down/get mentally tougher, around the age Jacob is now. Might have even happened with Hasek!

There are reasons he could now be coming into his own..what a bonus it would be for this franchise too! Still find it laughable we were rated(LAST!)at this key position, by some media-b*stards to begin season.

The Schneids/Lu thing(both deals, if viewed together) was quite beneficial, with hindsight. Helped set up a great young foundation, on a thrifty dime.

• Cheers 2

If he can maintain this level over the season. I don’t really put too much stock in stats right now cause defensively we’re garbage. But off the eye test he’s played very well. Doesn’t look shakey as often. Keep that going and he may be a late bloomer. He’s had rough patches where squeakers go through and he’s just not mentally checked in. Blame the goalie coaches all you want but Lu said playing in net is mostly mental. Marky might not be mentally tough enough to be starter, and his career thus far speaks to that. 

All I know is he’s very streaky and we should just be happy he’s playing very well lately.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

It’s no secret that Jacob Markstrom is currently playing the best hockey of his career right now. His past 6 games he has 6 wins and a sub 2 GAA. Not only are his numbers really good, but even a fan like me who knows very little about goaltending can tell he looks more solid in the net and is giving up fewer opportunities for easy goals. 

Now obviously, 6 games is a small sample size. But I started to wonder, how long until we’re convinced Jacob markstrom can be a legit starter? 1 month? The rest of the season? This season and next season? Lots of goalies have one good year then cool off again (Talbots a couple years ago, Mike Smith last year, etc.). 

I’d be wary of labeling him as a bonafide number 1 until at least the end of the season to see if he can at least maintain his above average numbers from here on out. 

Anyways, I don’t know how long this play from markstrom is going to last but I’m going to enjoy every minute of it till it’s over. 

Mike Smith proved himself several times going back a long time ago in Pheonix when he took them to the conference final with a rag-tag of misfits...Markstrom   has received a lot of criticism, and rightly so (how many games did he play before his first SO again) after coming into the league as a supposed cant miss goalie, hence the long, long rope (there are dozens of goalies that would have loved that and who knows how they could have done).  Is he a legit number one?  I hope so.. has he been in the past ? Not even close.  Bennings strategy over what we need going forward and the teams chances for success in the last couple years have rided on how well he performs...if he wanted a Miller again he would have found, well a Smith.

To answer the OPs question id say a .917 or above SP over the rest of the season and the entire next one,  If he can do that I will become a believer, oh and six-eight SO by the end of next year too, number ones should be able to steal a game at any given time.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Here's how he stacks up. Faces a lot of shots (SA) and we know that many of them are pretty high quality.  This also includes 2 of their best defensive forwards/centers being out on long term IR and quite a few lost man games for their top 4 D:

image.png.26e9725782e60c19ce6b52ba29014d4b.png  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Both of their career save percentages were well under .900 and GAA well over 3. 

Not numbers to brag about.   

Just because we love them, doesn’t mean they were great goalies.  

Just saying..........

If your going to do that then you have to compare them to the goalies of that era. Aside from Roy, Brodeur (who had both great defenseman and the trap to thank for some of his stats) and Beflour, most goalies had a sub .900 sp.  Then the trap, goalie equipment, the butterfly (before Roy nine out of ten goals were scored along the ice, SO anyone who could drop down when a shot is taken and butterfly the posts automatically gets a .900 SP) and monster size goalies including Markstrom and Nilsson who cover a much larger portion of the net just by standing there and doing nothing then say Vernon and Fuhr who had to move around to make saves...just saying.

Hasek has a sp of .925 or greater several times..he was an alien.  Markstrom has the tools to be a great goalie, and he’s doing well now, but needs to do well for a much longer sample size before he’s a legit number one

• Upvote 2

He continually has to prove himself just like every other goalie. Veteran tenders lose their jobs all of the time. I will say that this is the best I've ever seen him play. He is much more efficient with his movement and there is very little wasted motion, whereas before he used to flail around a lot more and lose the net.

Ian Clark has him playing a different style and he has looked better each game.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

An interesting question/thread here. Quick scroll shows answers all over the map.

Personally feel that gt stats are skewed by their team's D/mediocre depth, more than most of us accept. Jacob starting with an uneven Florida D, then Van version, did his numbers no favours.

He was so highly-touted as a junior, having obvious physical(size, athleticism) gifts to be a strong 'tender. Of course the position comes down to the mind-strength. Lots of people bear down/get mentally tougher, around the age Jacob is now. Might have even happened with Hasek!

There are reasons he could now be coming into his own..what a bonus it would be for this franchise too! Still find it laughable we were rated(LAST!)at this key position, by some media-b*stards to begin season.

The Schneids/Lu thing(both deals, if viewed together) was quite beneficial, with hindsight. Helped set up a great young foundation, on a thrifty dime.

Solid post.

Circumstances this season has had a lot of bearing on Markstroms save %.

When the injury bug hit us, it was actually a miracle, it took so long for us to run into the losing streak.

I think, it has been very evident, that Markstroms save % has improved a lot, since we have started to get the main bodies back into the team.

But in saying that, in the beginning of the season there was a tendency to let in, what could only be considered, soft goals,

So if he is to be considered a starter, I think the people suggesting, we discuss this at seasons end, are on point.

The way Marky has played during his last 6 games has  been very good. And I agree totally that would be like hitting the jack pot.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

If your going to do that then you have to compare them to the goalies of that era. Aside from Roy, Brodeur (who had both great defenseman and the trap to thank for some of his stats) and Beflour, most goalies had a sub .900 sp.  Then the trap, goalie equipment, the butterfly (before Roy nine out of ten goals were scored along the ice, SO anyone who could drop down when a shot is taken and butterfly the posts automatically gets a .900 SP) and monster size goalies including Markstrom and Nilsson who cover a much larger portion of the net just by standing there and doing nothing then say Vernon and Fuhr who had to move around to make saves...just saying.

Hasek has a sp of .925 or greater several times..he was an alien.  Markstrom has the tools to be a great goalie, and he’s doing well now, but needs to do well for a much longer sample size before he’s a legit number one

I looked into a handful of old Canucks goalies, and a bunch of the ones I remembered when I was a kid. 

Hell, even Arturs Irbe has better stats than Kirk and Richard.  

They were what we had, and they each had a couple decent seasons, but they weren’t great goalies by any means. 

This is far from the point I was making.  

Someone said 62-80 were good stats.  

I disagree.  Lol

• Cheers 1