The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All this talk about Alex Edler and Chris Tanev, What about Erik Gudbranson??

Rush17

2 minutes ago, Jetliner said:

Guddy has no value. We prob get a 5th round pick for him. We are stuck with him for the contract, unfortunately

He sure does have value, especially on this team.  Why would anyone think that losing a decent defensive defenseman his size that has heart and leadership ability, who’s just about ready to enter his prime would be a good thing?  Jetliner maybe your a bit jet lagged?  Not many comparable in the league right now, he’d get some offers if Benning was open to it.

31 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Yeah,

But he's only kinda overpaid and has as many pretty awesome moments as sucky ones.

It's a tall cup, half full.

Fair enough, but he's so hot and cold that you just can't really rely on him in any real capacity. It's a real catch 22.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Guddy plays best, when paired with a top quality puck mover, especially one who is fleet of foot.  Guddy with Quinn Hughes next season is going be fabulous.  Makes zero sense to trade Guddy now, just when we have the ideal partner for him on the way.  

I like your post.

But believe Tanev is our best RHD.  If we want Hughes to play a lot of minutes? I suspect he will play with Tanev. 

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Last season multiple teams were interested in acquiring Erik Gudbranson before we signed him to an extension. I'm curious why this is no longer a talking point. I know Alex Edler and Chris Tanev are older.. But this organization has gone out of their way to add "veteran leadership" to this squad. Alex Edler is hands down our best defenceman right now. Chris Tanev is the perfect partner for Quinn Hughes who may land in Vancouver in as little as two months time.

Now that Erik Gudbranson has term on his contract I don't see why we can't move him for "the picks or prospects" we were hoping to get from a Chris Tanev or Alex Edler deal. Edler wants to remain in Vancouver.. If he does waive he likely wants to re-sign here. That lowers his value. Chris Tanev is having less than stellar years compared to years past.  I don't think selling on either of these guys is necessary the right move if we wish to compete in the playoffs this season or next.

I think we should be open to a debate of whether or not Erik Gudbranson could land us what we are looking for ie a good prospect or pick. The rental market on D is slim, Gudbranson is just entering his prime and his skill set doesn't really mesh well with Green's uptempo style. We see Gudbranson struggling to keep up despite his really good skating skills. Erik Gudbranson could be far more valuable to a heavier, slower, and more methodical team. 

What do you guys think? should we also be looking at Erik Gudbranson?? is he the better player to move if there is a market for him? Just because he appears slow in our system doesn't mean he's a slow player. In fact, he is very fast for his size. Tell me what you think. Let's have a talk.

Is there any reason to believe, CDC chatter aside? A credible rumour. That either Tanev or Edler will be traded?

Or Edler not re-signed...

One of our best moves, considering how well he is playing. May in fact be to re-sign Edler.

Until I see brief stints from our farm in the big leagues I don't see anyone on the backend being moved this year.

We have yet to play McEneny, Sautner, Brisebois and Chatfield with any regularity on the big club to see if the answers are there to fill holes. I find it hard to believe with Hughes and Olevi coming in next year we would move any of the three if Utica fails us in development.

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Fair enough, but he's so hot and cold that you just can't really rely on him in any real capacity. It's a real catch 22.

Fair assessment. The best I've seen him play as a Canuck was with Edler. When he's paired with a reliable 2way Dman his role is clear and he plays with more confidence.

If Hutton could stop losing his man in his own zone, Guddy wouldn't keep getting stuck looking the fool, scrambling around picking up the pieces instead of holding down the fort.

Also, Hutton plays better with Tanev IMO.... Just sayin

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess you missed @Twilight Sparkle's post where Gardiner casually skated by a player getting boarded. TO needs Guddy more than they need Tanev. 

I'm not disagreeing that we should trade Gudbranson at all. All I'm saying is aren't getting anywhere near what we paid for him or what the people here think we can get for him.

13 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Fair assessment. The best I've seen him play as a Canuck was with Edler. When he's paired with a reliable 2way Dman his role is clear and he plays with more confidence.

If Hutton could stop losing his man in his own zone, Guddy wouldn't keep getting stuck looking the fool, scrambling around picking up the pieces instead of holding down the fort.

Also, Hutton plays better with Tanev IMO.... Just sayin

Totally agree and the coaching staff knows this.

Here is a comparison to a similar type of Dman that looked average to bad in Calgary. Derek Engelland who received a contract extension with Vegas at 36 YEARS OLD making under $3 million saw his game rise to new levels because of the pairings and team around him.

Hang in there!

8 minutes ago, 6string said:

Totally agree and the coaching staff knows this.

Here is a comparison to a similar type of Dman that looked average to bad in Calgary. Derek Engelland who received a contract extension with Vegas at 36 YEARS OLD making under $3 million saw his game rise to new levels because of the pairings and team around him.

Hang in there!

It's a fine line the coaching staff has to walk with these guys. 

Hutty and Guds are essentially being forced to figure out their roles while playing with each other and it would seem Guddy gets to be garbage man. Hutton is improving, but he still gets lost which inevitability pulls Guds out of position.

The problem with pairing Edler-Guddy, Hutty-Tanev is ice time vs scoring lines. I'd way rather have Edler-Tanev out there against a teams best lines than rely on Hutton or Guddy to eat 20+mins a game. Neither are ready, or good enough yet.

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Now that Erik Gudbranson has term on his contract I don't see why we can't move him for "the picks or prospects" we were hoping to get from a Chris Tanev or Alex Edler deal. Edler wants to remain in Vancouver.. If he does waive he likely wants to re-sign here. That lowers his value. Chris Tanev is having less than stellar years compared to years past.  I don't think selling on either of these guys is necessary the right move if we wish to compete in the playoffs this season or next.

You seem to be indicating that it would be easier to move Gudbranson now because he has term and that it lowers Edler's value because he is on an expiring contract. I would argue that it is actually the complete opposite unless you are going to be trading with other non-playoff teams (not the norm at TDL). Teams that are legitimate Cup contenders are generally up against the cap for this year and next year and therefore are looking to acquire players with expiring contracts Teams like Winnipeg, Toronto,Tampa Bay, etc have no interest in taking on term contracts unless you are taking back a worse term contract. Edler would fetch far more from the legitimate Cup contenders with his expiring contract than if he he had term left.

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I would like to know why EG isn't playing as tough as he used to. 

I would like that answer before I were to decide about him because that's the primary asset on him is intimidation. 

Is it green restricting him ? (My suspicion)

He has sustained an injury which prevents him from fighting. ???

Doesn't want to????

If it's green restricting him his value should be higher than what it probably is. 

If he is not providing intimidation I would like to see what we can get for him and replace his physical presence in the off-season .  

Green is not restricting Gudbranson.  He has scratched both Gaunce and Virtnanen because they weren't physical enough - Virtanen talked about how Green wanted him to hit more.  Green keeps on saying he wants the team to be hard to play against.  His physical play is the reason they signed him.  

“He’s a physical, stay-at-home defenseman who helps us,” Benning said. “We have other defensemen who are more puck-moving guys, but we don’t have anyone else with Gudbranson’s style of play.

“I know he’s had some ups and downs, but until he got hurt he was playing well for us. As long as a player can play in today’s game, you’re always going to need a defensemen who can play physical, especially in our division. There’s always going to be room for a guy like that in your top six.”

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He sure does have value, especially on this team.  Why would anyone think that losing a decent defensive defenseman his size that has heart and leadership ability, who’s just about ready to enter his prime would be a good thing?  Jetliner maybe your a bit jet lagged?  Not many comparable in the league right now, he’d get some offers if Benning was open to it.

I thought the original post was about trading him to other teams, so I don't think other teams care what value he can bring to the Canucks, but to the opposing team

Guddy's defense is below average. I question his leadership abilities too. If he is that valuable of a leader on our team then I was expect him to be an assistant captain. Which he is not, even when our regulars are injured 

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

You seem to be indicating that it would be easier to move Gudbranson now because he has term and that it lowers Edler's value because he is on an expiring contract. I would argue that it is actually the complete opposite unless you are going to be trading with other non-playoff teams (not the norm at TDL). Teams that are legitimate Cup contenders are generally up against the cap for this year and next year and therefore are looking to acquire players with expiring contracts Teams like Winnipeg, Toronto,Tampa Bay, etc have no interest in taking on term contracts unless you are taking back a worse term contract. Edler would fetch far more from the legitimate Cup contenders with his expiring contract than if he he had term left.

Great point but again Edler and that NTC is the stumbling block.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Green is not restricting Gudbranson.  He has scratched both Gaunce and Virtnanen because they weren't physical enough - Virtanen talked about how Green wanted him to hit more.  Green keeps on saying he wants the team to be hard to play against.  His physical play is the reason they signed him.  

“He’s a physical, stay-at-home defenseman who helps us,” Benning said. “We have other defensemen who are more puck-moving guys, but we don’t have anyone else with Gudbranson’s style of play.

“I know he’s had some ups and downs, but until he got hurt he was playing well for us. As long as a player can play in today’s game, you’re always going to need a defensemen who can play physical, especially in our division. There’s always going to be room for a guy like that in your top six.”

I wasn't only talking about that but also fighting . But you did a good job of supporting your position.  

It seems to me gubranson isn't playing with the same edge (as prone to fight) 

He is overpaid, and not very good, he is a #4D on his best day, and has a lot of days that aren’t his best.

Not sure what value he returns in a trade.

We also already have issues with freaking out over no physical response.  He is our only guy that can respond and do more than get punched in the face.  I don’t see moving that off our roster.

Here is an idea..... Trade all of them! 

We could potentially get 3 more first round picks. The D men market is thin this year so might as well use it to our advantage. 

Q. Hughes

JO

Stretcher 

Tree Trunk 

Edler in July

Tough SOB in July 

I would be 'over the moon' with this decent core moving forward if we get the draft picks as mentioned above 

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

I wasn't only talking about that but also fighting . But you did a good job of supporting your position.  

It seems to me gubranson isn't playing with the same edge (as prone to fight) 

He had to have both shoulder and wrist surgery.  Also he is now getting older and priorities change as players move forward with their adult lives.  He explained that he is now wearing a visor because he is fiancé.  

Archived