The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All this talk about Alex Edler and Chris Tanev, What about Erik Gudbranson??

Rush17

Last season multiple teams were interested in acquiring Erik Gudbranson before we signed him to an extension. I'm curious why this is no longer a talking point. I know Alex Edler and Chris Tanev are older.. But this organization has gone out of their way to add "veteran leadership" to this squad. Alex Edler is hands down our best defenceman right now. Chris Tanev is the perfect partner for Quinn Hughes who may land in Vancouver in as little as two months time.

Now that Erik Gudbranson has term on his contract I don't see why we can't move him for "the picks or prospects" we were hoping to get from a Chris Tanev or Alex Edler deal. Edler wants to remain in Vancouver.. If he does waive he likely wants to re-sign here. That lowers his value. Chris Tanev is having less than stellar years compared to years past.  I don't think selling on either of these guys is necessary the right move if we wish to compete in the playoffs this season or next.

I think we should be open to a debate of whether or not Erik Gudbranson could land us what we are looking for ie a good prospect or pick. The rental market on D is slim, Gudbranson is just entering his prime and his skill set doesn't really mesh well with Green's uptempo style. We see Gudbranson struggling to keep up despite his really good skating skills. Erik Gudbranson could be far more valuable to a heavier, slower, and more methodical team. 

What do you guys think? should we also be looking at Erik Gudbranson?? is he the better player to move if there is a market for him? Just because he appears slow in our system doesn't mean he's a slow player. In fact, he is very fast for his size. Tell me what you think. Let's have a talk.

I would like to know why EG isn't playing as tough as he used to. 

I would like that answer before I were to decide about him because that's the primary asset on him is intimidation. 

Is it green restricting him ? (My suspicion)

He has sustained an injury which prevents him from fighting. ???

Doesn't want to????

If it's green restricting him his value should be higher than what it probably is. 

If he is not providing intimidation I would like to see what we can get for him and replace his physical presence in the off-season .  

Gudbranson is a placeholder for a couple years. He’s young enough that his value shouldn’t decline and possibly go up. Other two guys have great value and could command a nice return for a rebuilding team. Heck Edler is a free agent this year and Tanev the next year after that. I wouldn’t even rule out brining one of them back as a possibility.

16 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

I would like to know why EG isn't playing as tough as he used to. 

I would like that answer before I were to decide about him because that's the primary asset on him is intimidation. 

Is it green restricting him ? (My suspicion)

He has sustained an injury which prevents him from fighting. ???

Doesn't want to????

If it's green restricting him his value should be higher than what it probably is. 

If he is not providing intimidation I would like to see what we can get for him and replace his physical presence in the off-season .  

While I disagree with the OP, I agree with you his play has declined. We should always know when hes on the ice, he needs more presence

hes not a good goal scorer hes not really a playmaker so it comes down to defensive skill and intimidation. He needs to maintain that fear factor

and I know he needs reasons to show that side, but its like buddy once in a while find reasons.

If Guddy hadn’t been traded for the farm, quite literally, on day 1 or 2 of the Rebuild, I doubt he be lit up for much on here.

Had he been a FA, he’d be fine as a rugged, depth Dman, which is exactly what this team needed at the time. Too bad we just got one of them. Should get two more! 

Guddy plays best, when paired with a top quality puck mover, especially one who is fleet of foot.  Guddy with Quinn Hughes next season is going be fabulous.  Makes zero sense to trade Guddy now, just when we have the ideal partner for him on the way.  

I dont imagine there would be a decent enough of a return if he was traded at this point. Problem is, they dont have anyone to replace him with. How has Sautner been playing? If they traded EG, do you really want more of MDZ or Pouliot? I do not :lol:

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

What about him? 

He's the only thing close to an enforcer that we have, but he's also overpaid and kinda sucks.

Yeah,

But he's only kinda overpaid and has as many pretty awesome moments as sucky ones.

It's a tall cup, half full.

10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Yeah,

But he's only kinda overpaid and has as many pretty awesome moments as sucky ones.

It's a tall cup, half full.

Guddy seems like the kind of player that gets real gud at PO time.  I'm thinking there's a couple of contenders out there that would have to have him on their team for a SC race.  Not that I want him to be traded.

If we can acquire another stable D-man with physicality then sure.  An upgrade over his defensive lapses and lack of foot speed would be great.

Til then, honestly it could be worse, just don't put him with Hutton anymore though.  I'd want him with Eddie just to see if his perceived value could rise back up.  

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Guddy seems like the kind of player that gets real gud at PO time.  I'm thinking there's a couple of contenders out there that would have to have him on their team for a SC race.  Not that I want him to be traded.

It would have to be an overpayment.

No way JB takes a loss on Guddy at this stage of his career.

Also, we need him. The D pool is not nearly deep or strong enough to trade him for anything other than an upgrade at his position...

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Guddy plays best, when paired with a top quality puck mover, especially one who is fleet of foot.  Guddy with Quinn Hughes next season is going be fabulous.  Makes zero sense to trade Guddy now, just when we have the ideal partner for him on the way.  

I also think that this is who he should play with, one can clear the net and pin people the other can skate it out or make the right pass.  Heck Guddy might even be a twenty or even thirty point defenseman one day.  Methot was this for Karlsson in OTT for years, just took care of business in his own end and while EK did his thing.

Plus if Hughes gets in trouble physically, Guddy is readily available...

Archived