The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

31 Thoughts: The Podcast.... on the Canucks

CanadianRugby

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'd rather overpay for 2 years. $7 mill, even $7.5.

Rather than sign for 4 years.

In 2 years we have to protect 3 D in expansion. In 2 years we have to re-sign Petey.

He can sign again then. In 1 year deals...

This.

I think they eventually land on 3 as it's a compromise of what the team would prefer (2) and what he'd likely get on the open market (4...maybe 5). Though I doubt we end up protecting what would be 36 year old, $6m+, pending UFA Edler at the ED and he might be ok with that gamble as SEA is close by and it's doubtful they'd pick 36 year old, $6m+, pending UFA Edler anyway. And if they do....we'd probably be 'ok' with it.

But I agree, I'd gladly overpay on a two year deal with full NTC and then have the option of re-signing him for another 1-2 at a lower hit to avoid the whole ED situation as well as work with expiring ELC's of guys like Pettersson/Hughes.

Just now, riffraff said:

He wants to be here so tbh I’d say the Canucks hold the power.  In saying that a lowball offer like a one year deal would be an insult.

high pay in a two year deal makes sense.

re neg after that.

Wanting to be here =/= being a door mat.

Telling him waive or &^@# off would likely have the obvious reaction of: "No." and "Bye."

Just now, riffraff said:

I said that.  That tactic is a joke.

Were we not discussing that 'tactic'?  To it, you said:

19 minutes ago, riffraff said:

He won’t walk.

I disagree. If we were to use that tactic, I think it would be in fact quite likely he would. Regardless of how much he'd 'like to stay'.

Just now, aGENT said:

Were we not discussing that 'tactic'?  To it, you said:

I disagree. If we were to use that tactic, I think it would be in fact quite likely he would. Regardless of how much he'd 'like to stay'.

Ok sure.  Literally speaking.  But we both new that ridiculous hypothetical situation never happens.

13 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Of course they will extend Edler. It's not easy to find a Dman like him. 6 mill per for  4 years.  

I think they sign him too because they still need a horse on the back end but only for 1 year.  In year 2 they should have Hughes in the top pair.  Suddenly, the back end starts to look a lot more reliable.  

Edler Guddy

Hughes Tanev

And the following year, just flip the pairings.  Remember, Edler plays with more courage when paired with Guddy.  

Hughes Tanev

Edler Guddy

In year 2, we have Edler playing a secondary role (18-20 mins).  Now, they're pushing the liabilities down to the 3rd pair and have a decent base with which to develop younger players like Juolevi and Woo

I saw him come off the ice, and chatted with him briefly.  He wants to be smart about it, he's not going to say anything... bad.  He knows what the situation is.  I'm sure he was really disappointed he didn't get to play in Toronto because that's his hometown but he kept all that stuff quiet.  He wants to play, every player wants to play. 

MDZ unfortunately doesn't have a lot he can say - when he's had a chance to let his play do the talking he's been horrible for the most part this season.  He lost his job out of the gate to a recovering Ben Hutton who was was equally horrible last year - so what's to say?  MDZ lost the competition for ice time for good reason - he was the worst defenseman on the roster early this season (including Biega), by a longshot - just awful - and hasn't really forced his way back into the lineup.  He's also a placeholder, who's underperforming - so yeah - not making dumb comments like Gagner's camp made is a good idea.

No one wants to hear "poor me" b.s. from veterans who themselves ought to know when their performance isn't up to grade - and should also know that absolutely nothing - aside from the millions they signed for - is owed to them.  People respect players that own their performance and do something about it.

If you could sign these guys at $6-7 mill, who would you take:

Edler

Tyler Myers

Jake Gardiner

I think I take Edler on a 2 year deal, and wait until next years UFA to potentially make a splash.  I know that most of the D in the next UFA class will sign before reaching the market, but it a pretty crazy list as of now.  Pietrangelo,Barrie,Vatanen,Faulk, Brodie,Tanev,Hamonic, Josi, Biega.

6 hours ago, Pickly said:

I highly, highly doubt he signs a 1 year deal. He’s 32 not 36. He still has good hockey left in him and the Canucks actually need Edler back there. You simply can’t just lowball him off the hop thinking you have the edge because the guy doesn’t want to leave Vancouver. I said 3 years and @WHL rocks said 4. I think it’s pretty fair to assume that given the market for good defenceman out there he would definitely fetch 6+ @ at least 3 years. 

Also, some food for thought. Say you let him walk. That leaves you with Tanev as the only legitimate top 4(!!!) defenceman on this team. We all know he’s good for 50-60 games a year. So when he gets hurt, who logs the minutes in Edler and Tanevs absence AND won’t cost the team games? 

The Canucks will offer him 3-4, and ownership isn’t going to trade him for assets or let him walk. The Aquallinis are not going to let this team take a step back and be bad for a few more years. As much as we hate the thought of it, they are going to keep and sign whoever will help this team be competitive. Now that we have pettersson, in their delusional minds, they feel they have a chance to make a playoff push next year. So they will not let Edler walk nor sign him for a year. This team is going to be awful unless we loose another few years and gain picks. But look forward to some bad UFA signings and ugly contracts.

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

If you could sign these guys at $6-7 mill, who would you take:

Edler

Tyler Myers

Jake Gardiner

I think I take Edler on a 2 year deal, and wait until next years UFA to potentially make a splash.  I know that most of the D in the next UFA class will sign before reaching the market, but it a pretty crazy list as of now.  Pietrangelo,Barrie,Vatanen,Faulk, Brodie,Tanev,Hamonic, Josi, Biega.

Loyalty counts for something. Career Canucks, so I pick Edler.

But Myers is the guy we need most. In a perfect world you sign Myers and Edler.  Elevate Hughes.

Boom! Contender D... 

Hughes Myer

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbrandson

Pouliot Stecher    Brisbois, Woo, Rathbone, Utunen on the farm...

Gardiner does nothing we need, considering Hughes.

The solve with an Edler extension is to make sure you don't give him a NMC. Give him a NTC, maybe a modified NTC max. NTC's are not protected under expansion rules, so he can still be exposed. That and, hopefully, another Canucks defenseman (not named Hughes/Juolevi) emerges to be worth protecting over Edler.

That and I also doubt Edler will be super mad if he has to play in Seattle. It's super closer to Vancouver (3 hours drive max), so he could still be close to his family even if he's now a few hours away for a season or two until his career ends. It's the best alternative for him compared to going elsewhere that's either across the country or down the coast.

15 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Loyalty counts for something. Career Canucks, so I pick Edler.

But Myers is the guy we need most. In a perfect world you sign Myers and Edler.  Elevate Hughes.

Boom! Contender D... 

Hughes Myer

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbrandson

Pouliot Stecher    Brisbois, Woo, Rathbone, Utunen on the farm...

Gardiner does nothing we need, considering Hughes.

Agree that at the very least the Canucks should kick tires on Edler AND another D. We need top end D depth, badly.

But if we're spending +/- $7m on Myers, why not go all the way and target the actual #1D in Karlsson at +/- $9m? IMO Myers is the consolation prize there.

Also, as much as I love Hughes (and would be thrilled to see him do so) I doubt he's playing 1st pair next year, almost certainly not 5v5.

Edler, Karlsson

Hutton/Hughes, Tanev

Hughes/Hutton, Gudbranson

Pouliot/other, Stecher

Or:

Edler, Tanev

Hughes/Hutton, Myers

Hutton/Hughes, Gudbranson

Pouliot/other, Stecher

3 years for Edler.   Guessing 5-6M range. 

Likely shopping MDZ, Gagner, Goldy, Hutton, Pouliot.

Listening closely on Tanev and Sutter. 

Aaand one player that’s off everyone’s radar... I have this feeling that Gaudette could be had for a young D.   Maybe in a package, maybe straight across...  but I feel like they are giving him some showcase opportunities...  plus they may really like moving forward with  Pettey/Horvat/Sutter/Beagle at C, which could render Gaudette available for a similar piece at a position of need.  Most of us would rather move Sutter of course, but he won’t be the kind of player that might be able to pry a D.

Archived