The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] MDZ to Ducks for Schenn & 7th round pick

thejazz97

20 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

What kind of a game does Stone play ?

Is he a sniper ala Brock ? creative play-maker + shooter like EP ? not so creative but good shot, good body presence & speed like Bo ?

He is a turnover machine -- in the positive sense.  He is overrated as an offensive player, imo (but not by much) because he plays on a weak team; but he would have played on team Canada in the last Olympics, he is that good.  Another Horvat in terms of being a 2-way player but actually a bit better because he creates so many turnovers.  Peak of his career is right now, too.  

What would we give up for him?  A first round pick; add Dahlen, and maybe even Juolevi.  But he'd be worth it I imagine. (Our first round pick means less now, I have to remind myself of this, lol.)

If we gave up Dahlen, a 1st round pick, and maybe another player in the Juolevi range (not Hughes, obviously), we would be giving up a lot.  But we'd have a player in Horvat's class, but unique.  He is to Pettersson what Brad Park was to Bobby Orr.  

2 minutes ago, gameburn said:

He is a turnover machine -- in the positive sense.  He is overrated as an offensive player, imo (but not by much) because he plays on a weak team; but he would have played on team Canada in the last Olympics, he is that good.  Another Horvat in terms of being a 2-way player but actually a bit better because he creates so many turnovers.  Peak of his career is right now, too.  

What would we give up for him?  A first round pick; add Dahlen, and maybe even Juolevi.  But he'd be worth it I imagine. (Our first round pick means less now, I have to remind myself of this, lol.)

If we gave up Dahlen, a 1st round pick, and maybe another player in the Juolevi range (not Hughes, obviously), we would be giving up a lot.  But we'd have a player in Horvat's class, but unique.  He is to Pettersson what Brad Park was to Bobby Orr.  

He's pending UFA. I'd rather keep our assets and take my chances.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, you still don't get it. 

Maybe ON can explain it so you understand better:

You have such a love fest with Guddy.  LOL  

We all know that Schenn is a solid AHL D man at best. The problem is that Guddy is not much better and we have locked him up for two more seasons. Anyone of the young D men that you have mention could become his replacement.  He brings grit and not much more. He is a bottom six D man. 

I wonder if we could've gotten more for him had we waited until the deadline. Anaheim may try to flip him, I'm sure there will be some people trashing on Benning if Del Zotto gets moved for a 5th/6th at the deadline.

For the record, I'm fine with the trade and realize the point in making it, but just curious if we rushed to make this deal to create a spot.

46 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i'd be prepared for the team to go all in on stone

ferland.. not so much

but stone would be a difference maker

he is able to drive and carry a team and could be our #2 player on offense after ep40

and i'd be prepared to lose a young skilled forward in future due to salary cap issues

if we could get and lock down stone long term

Absolutely.  He’s going to get a big pay-day and he deserves it.   Under the radar star player who seems to produce no matter who he plays with, and is able to do it all on his own more or less against the leagues top competition.  Adding him would would go a long way in our top six.

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I wonder if we could've gotten more for him had we waited until the deadline. Anaheim may try to flip him, I'm sure there will be some people trashing on Benning if Del Zotto gets moved for a 5th/6th at the deadline.

For the record, I'm fine with the trade and realize the point in making it, but just curious if we rushed to make this deal to create a spot.

I'd rather he get less now when something's available than risk getting nothing later because their wasn't a market for him at the TDL. NVM that the difference in value between an early 7th and a late 5th/6th from a contender is pretty damn small.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'd rather he get less now when something's available than risk getting nothing later because their wasn't a market for him at the TDL. NVM that the difference in value between an early 7th and a late 5th/6th from a contender is pretty damn small.

Fair enough, but losing for nothing versus a 7th rounder is also not much of a difference either.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Fair enough, but losing for nothing versus a 7th rounder is also not much of a difference either.

True :lol:

But it does also earn some UFA good will by doing right by the player, gains us some needed D depth in Utica, clears some cap and NHL roster space etc, etc...

32 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“There will definitely be more country music playing in our room! We’ll miss him on the ice, in the room and as our DJ. Tough few months for him, so maybe best for both sides.” - Sutter on Del Zotto trade

Country music should get the Fortnite x 2 treatment.  None on the road, and even less at home.

(That is, unless we're talking about real country music - of the JC, PC era, not the canned corporate crap that passes for country nowadays)

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

True :lol:

But it does also earn some UFA good will by doing right by the player, gains us some needed D depth in Utica, clears some cap and NHL roster space etc, etc...

Well like I said, I understand why the deal was made, just wondering if there could've been more value at the deadline. Hopefully Del Zotto makes the most of it and earns himself another contract to stay in the league.

29 minutes ago, gameburn said:

He is a turnover machine -- in the positive sense.   

Yep, he gets Selke nominations as a winger, that's how good he is. If we don't aggressively target Stone in FA I'm going to really disappointed.

17 minutes ago, mephnick said:

Yep, he gets Selke nominations as a winger, that's how good he is. If we don't aggressively target Stone in FA I'm going to really disappointed.

To me, he is a unique talent: possibly the best winger to come along of the "unique" type since Makarov.  (Who was, like Marner, a play-making winger, rather than a Selke class type.)  Getting this guy would radically change the progress of this team.  I'd talk him into Vancouver on the basis of playing with Pettersson, lots of money, and staying in Canada.  And, the team is on the rise.  And throw lots of term at him.  (6 years?) 

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Schenn will be a big part of the Comets and, at this point, their season is as important as the Canucks' season.  They're starting to gel and a good, physical dman will only make their team better headed into the stretch and playoffs

42 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Country music should get the Fortnite x 2 treatment.  None on the road, and even less at home.

(That is, unless we're talking about real country music - of the JC, PC era, not the canned corporate crap that passes for country nowadays)

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i think you are stuck thinking about chicago

first consideration is that those 2 salaries are higher then anything i propose and that the canucks have

second consideration is that the cap has increased significantly since those signings

third is that chicago had locked in at a lower value their key defensemen so they actually had more then 2 key stars/players

chicago boxed themselves in by resigning past their prime key players to big money instead of moving on from them

i think likely 4 top end players paid high salaries (not the top end salaries though) are required for a championship team

go look at tampa bays salary structure

that will get you a winning formula in the current nhl

TB sure had it good with the players they have on high salaries, plus their secondary players that can play well in the top six trickle down all the way to the fourth line.  My beef with them is they are getting players to sign at lesser salaries (Stamkos), part of that is because they are a contender, the other part is they are making full market value with their take home pay as they would be if they went to TO or pretty much any other place other then Vegas and Florida.  Essentially their cap is 10% higher than the rest of the league with their no state tax for home games.  It results in allowing them to sign an extra 8 million dollar player, which is spread around their lineup.  Having a few guys on cheap contracts help, and soon they will have their own cap issues with expiring contracts, but they won’t be hard to re-sign either.  Google NHL tax cuculator and the comparisons once you get to five-six million plus is significant, and once you get to 7-8 million it’s very significant.  Basically a guy getting 8 in TB/Vegas/Florida would have to get 10 plus in the majority of other NHL cities for the take home to be the same.

Stamkos was expected to be offered up to 12 million on the open market, he definitely took a pay cut from that sort of money...but still got his 10 plus million.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

You have such a love fest with Guddy.  LOL  

We all know that Schenn is a solid AHL D man at best. The problem is that Guddy is not much better and we have locked him up for two more seasons. Anyone of the young D men that you have mention could become his replacement.  He brings grit and not much more. He is a bottom six D man. 

Have you watched a hockey game before? Teams only dress 6 defenceman.

Archived