The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to bring back last years Triple B line, once EP gets back?

TheRealistOptimist

With Bo struggling to put up points lately (prior to tonight's game), I think it may be time to bring back the Baertschi - Bo - Boeser line that showed some good chemistry last year, especially when all were healthy.

I think that Pettersson has put up points consistently all year, regardless of who his linemates have been. I think you could play quite a few different players with Pettersson and he'd still do well and put up points. 

You could mix wingers like Goldy, Leivo, Eriksson and Virtanen with Pettersson, depending on who's producing. 

This is a similar concept to the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Penguins always try to load up Malkin's line, while Crosby drags along young players or 3rd line liners who otherwise would have no business playing on an NHL first line. Jake Guentzel has now turned into a pretty reliable scorer but he wasn't when he first started with the Pens. 

Pettersson might just be that good, that he can still produce without top end players. 

They've already been together quite a bit with EP out. They've been pretty decent, but not amazing. I wouldn't be heavily opposed to trying EP with others like Jake or possibly Goldy if he ever gets his game together, but I do like the Boeser-Pettersson chemistry going.

Down By The River - I agree with that. 

I also wonder if Travis Green trusts Virtanen enough defensively to put him on a line with Pettersson and Goldobin? I think I would like to see that. Even though Virtanen isn't really a fighter at this point in his career, he is a big body who could be used on Petey's line as a little bit of a deterent to prevent other players from taking shots at Petey. He also can skate really well and has a good shot. 

No, would disagree with the original poster.

Yes, the Killer B's is/was an excellent line, but they are not better than Pettersson plus Boeser plus someone else.

I would like to see Baertschi continue to play with Horvat though...  I think those two have some chemistry.  Horvat does need a skilled player with him... he doesn't have to be stuck with a bunch of plugger checkers. 

I think Baertschi Horvat Leivo might be what we see for the #2 line... that might be what Green was experimenting with in the 3rd period... with Pettersson teaming up with Boeser and possibly Goldobin as the #1.

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

No, would disagree with the original poster.

Yes, the Killer B's is/was an excellent line, but they are not better than Pettersson plus Boeser plus someone else.

I would like to see Baertschi continue to play with Horvat though...  I think those two have some chemistry.  Horvat does need a skilled player with him... he doesn't have to be stuck with a bunch of plugger checkers. 

I think Baertschi Horvat Leivo might be what we see for the #2 line... that might be what Green was experimenting with in the 3rd period... with Pettersson teaming up with Boeser and possibly Goldobin as the #1.

I'm not trying to say they would be better than Pettersson and Boeser. Just thinking Petey might be that good that he doesn't need top end talent to continue to put up points. 

Like the Pittsburgh model.

31 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

If we draft one of Hughes/Kakko, we could reunite the BBB line and have EP playing with one of them on a line... :bigblush:

IF we're eligible for the lottery, it will be a huge fluke of luck for us to get the #1 pick... because we are not finishing last overall.

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

They've already been together quite a bit with EP out. They've been pretty decent, but not amazing. I wouldn't be heavily opposed to trying EP with others like Jake or possibly Goldy if he ever gets his game together, but I do like the Boeser-Pettersson chemistry going.

He will. In Russia in a few years...

22 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

With Bo struggling to put up points lately (prior to tonight's game), I think it may be time to bring back the Baertschi - Bo - Boeser line that showed some good chemistry last year, especially when all were healthy.

I think that Pettersson has put up points consistently all year, regardless of who his linemates have been. I think you could play quite a few different players with Pettersson and he'd still do well and put up points. 

You could mix wingers like Goldy, Leivo, Eriksson and Virtanen with Pettersson, depending on who's producing. 

This is a similar concept to the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Penguins always try to load up Malkin's line, while Crosby drags along young players or 3rd line liners who otherwise would have no business playing on an NHL first line. Jake Guentzel has now turned into a pretty reliable scorer but he wasn't when he first started with the Pens. 

Pettersson might just be that good, that he can still produce without top end players. 

I think the reason why bo is struggling a bit is he’s not a first line centre but with Pettersson out he’s playing the role and the better defensive match ups are what is slowing him down.

i noticed a stat during the oilers game that compared McDavid to Horvat 5v5

it was something like

McDavid 0 points 0 shots while Horvat was on the ice

Horvat 3 points 8 shots while McDavid was on the ice

what I see in Horvats game is it is best while playing shutdown/secondary scoring. He capitalizes on offensive pressure against the other teams offensive players more than playing with the Canucks better offensive players.

Playing a second line of

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen Is something that I could see working best while keeping

?-Pettersson-Boeser together

Nope.

Ep40 and Brock need to stay together.  Put Baer with Horvat and have two balanced pairs.  IMO I would like to see Jake reunited with Horvat and Baer and Leivo with EP40 and Brock for a few games.  Granlund, Eriksson and Goldy can be moved into roles if those lines dont click.  

Baer provides the second line skill for both Bo and Jake.  Good two way line that can wear teams down.  EP40 and Brock are money, pure and simple.  Those two are linemates for the next decade.  

If Leivo can take advantage of this gift, great.  Jake has clicked with Baer and Bo before.  IMO that's a good second line.  

Would like to see 

Goldobin-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Leivo

Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Eriksson

Leivo plays a north south game like Horvat, they would suit eachother well. Leivo is also a beast on the boards, something Bo isn’t great at imo. Will help since Bo goes up against top players. 

All depends on if we see the Goldy from the start of the season or not. He was pursuing the puck way harder. Not sure why he isn’t anymore. He needs to score a nice goal and get his swag back.

Archived