The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does Canucks offense suck?

Nuke

This is why we need to draft as high as possible . We need D and we more top end forwards.

This would be a good year for management to pull a rabbit out of the hat. They need to land another high pick at this years draft.  Maybe having the draft in Vancouver might encourage them to try to swing a deal or two.  

Baer, Granlund, Sutter , Tanev , Pearson , Spooner , Hutton , Stecher and LE should all be looked at as a means to improve over the long term. I guess I am saying that no one is off limits. 

12 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

why do you keep going on about Karlsson, no way he's coming to Van.

He would turn out to be an anchor in the long run. Always injured and at the end of his career. 

6 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

I believe we are leading in posts hit 

We could be leading in goals if they made the damn nets bigger instead of making goalie equipment smaller!

I think for every three goalposts you should be credited a goal. 

It's not fair 

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

why do you keep going on about Karlsson, no way he's coming to Van.

Apparently, the world’s largest IKEA, with the best Swedish meatballs, is in Richmond.  How could he not want to be close to the Allen Key capital?   

i'd love to hear opposing players' opinions and criticisms of our team. What are we known as? How do you play the Canucks? Do we possess any threats etc? Sitting around assuming we need a puck moving Dman or better wingers... I bet Brent Burns and Giordano and Joe Thornton and Scheifflie would give us a huge wake up call.

What I would do to chat with those guys and their coaches. 

7 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Lacking a true offensive defenseman (for now) and a top line quality LW. Those would be two helpful additions. 

Exactly this.  We are getting guys like Spooner and Pearson who - even if they regain form - are 2nd line wingers at best.  Not only do we need to find Horvat a steady LW, but we need to find a high end LW for the 1st line and I'm not sure Goldy is it.

Then, as mentioned, we dont have a scoring defenseman... when ideally we would have a couple.

We are rebuilding.  Not all the pieces are there yet.

Its like JB has given up, to a lot of degree, on the idea of building through the draft in favour of aquiring other teams cast-offs...as long as they are relatively young. That or prospects that others have given up on. I know he as all his picks this year, but no more. Which is astounding for a rebuilding team with the draft in their own building. The problem with taking the second (or third or fourth) chance on a young player that might be a project, is when the player is not panning out, you don't get much for them after you realize your mistake. Its the way of a slow un-build, not re-build. 

Tired of the excuses for JB. He (and the Swedish scouting team) did a good job scouting EP. Lets do more of that!  If Bo and Baer and Brock, will be at their peak in a couple of years, then this is the near the last season we can draft players that could contribute to the next run.  Other teams somehow manage to stock up on picks when they commit to it.  Other teams have tradable assets?  Well, JB has been on the job for 5 years, who's fault is it that he has no tradable assets? I know I'm generalizing, but it seems like JB is favouring going with players that are proven NHL players, but a limited ceiling, over taking the risk of draft picks where it could be glory, but the odds are bust.  I'd rather he'd gamble and do more of the latter. That is his specialty.

The problem with JB is he is not bold enough or too timid to be a GM. He likes retreads , with term . What is he going to do with Spooner and Pearson and Leivo  Is he going to resign Leivo? Are they part of his rebuild? On D whats his plan? Sign Edler, or a good free agent. Trade some pieces ?

26 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

The problem with JB is he is not bold enough or too timid to be a GM. He likes retreads , with term . What is he going to do with Spooner and Pearson and Leivo  Is he going to resign Leivo? Are they part of his rebuild? On D whats his plan? Sign Edler, or a good free agent. Trade some pieces ?

I don't think boldness is his problem. He's made a ton of signings and trades since he got the job including a bunch that he probably knew wouldn't be received well by a lot or even most of the fan base (Shinkaruk trade, Dahlen trade, Gudbranson trade, Eriksson signing, Beagle signing, etc).

IMO the main problem is how much time and how many assets he wasted going for a retool with the retreads you mentioned instead of fully rebuilding from the start. We're a couple years away today because we wasted a couple years to begin with.

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

This is why we need to draft as high as possible . We need D and we more top end forwards.

This would be a good year for management to pull a rabbit out of the hat. They need to land another high pick at this years draft.  Maybe having the draft in Vancouver might encourage them to try to swing a deal or two.  

Baer, Granlund, Sutter , Tanev , Pearson , Spooner , Hutton , Stecher and LE should all be looked at as a means to improve over the long term. I guess I am saying that no one is off limits. 

Horvat - 4 years to free agency

Boeser - potentially 5

Pettersson - potentially 6.

These guys want to win and not be stuck on an endlessly rebuilding team.  Teams are trying to build 4 lines deep.  

Looking it as vets vs youth is the wrong approach. It should be who fits the system vs who doesn't.   

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Horvat - 4 years to free agency

Boeser - potentially 5

Pettersson - potentially 6.

These guys want to win and not be stuck on an endlessly rebuilding team.  Teams are trying to build 4 lines deep.  

Looking it as vets vs youth is the wrong approach. It should be who fits the system vs who doesn't.   

Our current 4th line may have a ton of experience but to be honest..... they  look  a bit old...

079AF59CC1F846D5B5CB39836EE55CAB.jpg

11 hours ago, TU90 said:

It is interesting. If our PP was somewhat good, we would be a playoff team.

I think it's because of our defense. You need to have good puck movers behind the forwards, or the forwards end up using all of their energy just getting possession in the offensive zone.

We are 25th in the nhl.

a playoff team?

only the ducks, oilers and kings have worse records then us in the west and the oilers with there game in hand can be tied with us tommorow. YeAh yeah, injuries I’ve heard this every year the last four years EVERY TEAM has injuries. I get we seem to have more then most at times but still, and I know this theory is made worse because when we’re healthy the team does play well, the problem with this theory is twofold. The team

will never be healthy long term with thee players.

and two, these good records are a small sample size and happen at the beginning of the yeawhen teams aren’t in sync yet and don’t have there systems down. Not to mention how many of them take us lightly. How many teams start there c goalie against us, and when they do we make him look like prime hasek.

abd why? We don’t have enough talent.

were not good enough yet and that’s the bottom line about that.

and your point “if we had a decent pp” there’s no evidence to suggest we would be because if you change one thing you change everything (butterfly effect) and you can do this for every team In The league, if the flyers had stable goaltending all year they’d be a playoff team. If Hutton and Ullmark played like they did in the first half and Sabres had secondary scoring they’d be a playoff team. Same with avs (about sabres)

its almost sounds like the fans that go “ugh we lost ten overtime games, if we would of won over half of those we’d be in a playoff spot!!”

almost EVERY team can say that 

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

FTR:  I don't think they suck (at all)...I think they're experiencing ups and downs as all teams do.  And injuries certainly have been a factor (as stated by the level heads here).

Sometimes I think they look for the pretty goals too much...sometimes we pass when a guy's in a pretty good position to shoot.  Especially as we get near the slot area...we pass to the outside and a more difficult angle.   I wish we'd crash the net a bit more ... greasy goal stuff.  Rous does it, Jake (miss him) does it.  Bo does, but more from the side and we get in too far at times.

I also wish Baer wasn't taken out...he was one of those guys who could create stuff out of nothing.

I think they're currently gripping the stick too hard, overthinking things and not playing with the confidence they've had in the past.  It'll come.  Momentum is a huge think in sports.

I'm much more concerned about D than I am O.  And, of course, our PP...but I think they'll be forced to examine and address that soon.

We don’t have enough talent yet.

but hey, it’s coming and look st other teams like Colorado and buffalo who are one line teams both those teams are just outside the playoffs and at one point this year were shoe ins to make it but there lack of offense from any line but the top one has killed them.

i agree that we are doing the things you said by how many goals are they suppose to score? I mean be realistic, these guys are playing mostly as good as they can and we’re 25th maybe 27th in the nhl as early as tommorow. We talk about injuries every year the last four and as far as I can see every single team

has them except a select few in a year.

5 hours ago, appleboy said:

Edit- mod I accidentally posted four times in a row something screwed up I tried to put half of them in back to back posts apologies

Back to post-

I can’t think of anybody who would want those Injury probe players those guys might get you a 4th rounder each at the highest. Tanev could get us the most hutnhes always hurt too and isn’t in his prime anymore.;

Archived