The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin said he watched the Canucks game last night.

CanuckGAME

2 minutes ago, Xbox said:

The biggest reason we lost Tryamkin to the KHL (that we had control of) was our coach. He hated WD. Can't blame him, hope he comes back and plays for Green.

Theo Fleury *hated* his junior coach. 

Still feel sorry for poor Tree’s relationships here? 

Lots of empathy, maybe even soy, in this thread. Lol 

Crazy comparison, I know, but how some players love the game and play through their issues is really something. Players hate their coaches all the time everyday in every league. Some more than others, I guess. 

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Theo Fleury *hated* his junior coach. 

Still feel sorry for poor Tree’s relationships here? 

Lots of empathy, maybe even soy, in this thread. Lol 

Crazy comparison, I know, but how some players love the game and play through their issues is really something. Players hate their coaches all the time everyday in every league. Some more than others, I guess. 

You're right.  Because Nikita didnt get raped and molested here he had nothing to be upset about.

You are F***ed in the head.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can't blame Nik for not wanting to get boxed in to a tough guy role. But showing him Pronger videos was the height of stupidity. I'm convinced thats the moment he chose to tell his agent to sign with his home town KHL team. 

I'm not sure why people believe there is something wrong with showing a player like Tryamking video of a prototypical hard-to-play-against defenseman.

Pronger wasn't really a "tough guy" in any event - I'm virtually certain that was not the point of it - he was a player that pushed the boundaries of stick work, interference - whatever he could get away with - but when it came to fighting, meh, he may have fought once or twice a year in his career.

The point was his length, size, disposition - and the way he used that, and his stick (in a time when it was far less policed) to deter people from going to and parking in front of his net.

I have no problem whatsoever with the team showing Tryamkin video of a player they think used his tools in ways that Tryamkin could learn from.

It's something every player in the NHL is going to experience - video - of themselves and other players - to help them improve.

Pretty sure one of Gudbranson's recent comments referred to being shown that he can utilize his stick more to complement his ability to contain players.  I really have to doubt that this was any part of the problem for Tryamkin.

In the end, here's how I see the Tryamkin season:

- did not show up in sufficient condition - did not like it but nevertheless engaged seriously in getting into NHL game shape.  Whatever - growing pains.

- played very well once he did earn his way into the lineup - however conditioning remained an issue throughout the entire season -  he simply could not sustain his pace for long shifts and throughout the game - a large  part of why WD capped his ice time.   Reality was that he was highly effective in short, limited shifts but beyond, not so much.  Whatever, more growing pains, but like the original issue, not really a case where the player has grounds to dispute/protest a lack of ice time.

- didn't speak the language, newlywed, family wanted him to return home including his wife... made an understandable decision that he'd return to the KHL - and apparently pretty much from the get-go left open the possibility, even probability that he'd give the NHL another shot in due course.

- appears to be having some very good seasons in the KHL - and certainly a more developed, conditioned Tryamkin is a player that easily earns a spot on virtually any NHL team.

All water under the bridge - none of it a particularly big deal - nnone of it coinciding with a particularly important window (if anything it may serve the team in the end) and absolutely welcome back.

28 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I have this recurring thought that after years of “losing” the draft lottery it finally all comes together.  

Home draft, another brother combo up for grabs, not the best odds but we pull it out anyways just so the conspiracy theorists can claim it’s all too perfect. 

you'd take Hughes over Kakko?  I wouldn't.......the Canucks are rich down the middle and thin on the wing........sure, JH could transition, but Kakko is a ntural winger, much, much bigger and probably a better player, on the wing at least.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I know Groot never got to many PP opportunities but he has a cannon and his wrist/snap shot is superior to Jake or Brocks,

Benning wants to seriously try for the playoffs and miss an opportunity at Alexis Lafrenière, Quinton Byfield, Anton Lundell and Noel Gunler then he goes to Russia and buys Tryamkin's contract, this is a common thing in Europe and even though the Canucks cannot honor that contract, NHL rules, they can offer him a new one.

They will not do that though because there will be a labour stoppage in 2020/2021 so they are better off making sure they don't end up in the same boat as many "almost" teams.

Nikita is that you? 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

you'd take Hughes over Kakko?  I wouldn't.......the Canucks are rich down the middle and thin on the wing........sure, JH could transition, but Kakko is a ntural winger, much, much bigger and probably a better player, on the wing at least.

Yeah, I haven’t put a ton of thought into it yet... usually get into the draft prospects closer to the draft but that has crossed my mind.  

As fun as my Hughes brothers scenario is, we’d likely be better served with Kakko.  At this point I’d be over the moon with either... or Byram for that matter.  

A little overdue lottery luck at this stage would go a loooooong way.

The year of the expansion draft will be very interesting. Hopefully by then we have Tryamkin back, hopefully Juolevi and Hughes are in our top 4, hopefully Edler and Tanev are gone. Woo could very easily be here that season. Our defense could look incredibly different. I'd be okay with just Stecher being here by then. Maybe even Hutton. Edler, Tanev, Biega, Pouliot should all be gonzo alonzo. That's not even touching on the fact we could have Byram this June, long shot, but fingers crossed. 

Tryamkin can't come back next season, unless he buys out his own contract (not sure if I am correct in that). So at the earliest he'll be here during the 20/21 season. Which is the expansion draft season. I wonder how he has developed the last couple seasons. The myth of Tryamkin around here you'd think he was Chara, despite that not even being remotely close. So I imagine expectations will be sky high. 

Just now, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I haven’t put a ton of thought into it yet... usually get into the draft prospects closer to the draft but that has crossed my mind.  

As fun as my Hughes brothers scenario is, we’d likely be better served with Kakko.  At this point I’d be over the moon with either... or Byram for that matter.  

luck isn't something this franchise has experienced much of

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

so if Pettersson or Horvat get hurt in the middle of a season is Kakko going to play center in relief. I take a center all day long over wingers.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hughes is a much smarter player and can play both. He’s also breaking records set by guys like Gaudreau and being compared to guys like Patrick Kane. He’s considered a generational talent by many for good reason. 

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

we did have lottery luck in 2017 we got 1st overall. 

Just now, Stamkos said:

Hughes is a much smarter player and can play both. He’s also breaking records set by guys like Gaudreau and being compared to guys like Patrick Kane. He’s considered a generational talent by many for good reason. 

who says he's smarter?

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The dead weight is our two best defensemen, Tanev and Edler.  Great guys, no mistake... but very hard to have $9.5 million locked down on a couple of very injury-prone players.

They are also the only two doing the heavy lifting for a while now so injury prone is just unfair.

2 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

You cared enough to enter the thread.

We just supposed to pretend Tryamkin doesnt exist?  Not sure if you're aware,  but this team needs some players on D.

Obviously we need better D. 

He wont be coming next year.  

So we are hoping two years from now.  

Why the hell would you wait for a guy who might not even come back, 2 years down the road to fix the problem?   

As as far as I’m concerned, he is gone. 

Much better to find a way to fix our d without hopes and dreams of some Russian #5-6 dman. 

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

Obviously we need better D. 

He wont be coming next year.  

So we are hoping two years from now.  

Why the hell would you wait for a guy who might not even come back, 2 years down the road to fix the problem?   

As as far as I’m concerned, he is gone. 

Much better to find a way to fix our d without hopes and dreams of some Russian #5-6 dman. 

If tree comes back, that's great. But i find it unwise to plan the future on hope. I say we continue the path as if tree isn't coming back. But if he does great.

Just now, Stamkos said:

Only fans are calling him generational. Bobby Mac outright said he's not on the level of Matthews/McDavid, I'd dig up the video but I am lazy. Hughes is incredibly overrated here, largely because of the selective hearing of fans. Hear the Patrick Kane comparison and assume he's generational. Hell it's not even that. In every draft every top pick is being called generational now. How many once in a generation players are being drafted this decade?

Archived