The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN650

AlwaysACanuckFan

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

Add to that Jake was utterly useless tonight as he has on too many nights. When he's on his game he is a difference maker. If I'm coach I tell Jake at his exit interview to figure out if he wants to be an NHLer or he will be getting the press box pass more often next year. 

The frustrating part is that the answer isn’t complicated and Green has told him and the public repeatedly.

Play north south, when you have the puck, use your size and speed drive to the net.  Do it basically every time until it is just habit.

When he does it he scores or opens up ice for someone else to score a rebound.

Instead he stays on the outside and makes a pass, or circles behind the net.

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Ok so Benning has no idea what happening on the farm come on its his job to know what's going on with his prospects if he wants to scout he can go scout, give someone the GM rains that can be an effective GM. 

I thought the minus button was back but can’t find it now!

5 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

In my mind at this stage of our rebuild I think this is a very bad idea. We need more young top end players. Virtanen could still develop into that middle six power forward we need and Id much rather have Benning picking in the first round then making a trade with that pick.

I agree that those other 4 players are expendable and traceable assets. But, Tanev needs to have a healthy start to next year to have any real value. Perhaps trade him at the deadline. Granlund has little value, 2nd rd pick maybe... probs a 3rd.

Hutton and Sutter are our only real expendable pieces but not sure what you get for them. Maybe a top 6 prospect and mid round pick. 

Hutton+ Sutter for Puljujarvi+2nd rd pick  ?   Would you do it? 

_____-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Puljujarvi

Virtanen-Gaudette-MacEwen

Leivo-Beagle-Motte

I’d be absolutely shocked in Puljujarvi could be a top 6 forward next year. The guy has struggled ever since coming to NA and is coming off double hip surgery. Realistically, I think the Canucks should avoid him and spend their assets else where

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I've been a Jake supporter but I am losing interest. He has to decide if he wants to be a player or a pretender. He needs to grow up. 

I think the pressure of being selected so high and being a hometown kid is too much for Jake. If we was to go elsewhere without the limelight on him or the stupid media he could succeed.

I hope Jake figures it out but the consistancy is an issue, if he played a physical game and was willing to stand up for his teammates ala Josh Anderson, Ferland, Wilson type of players he could find a niche role in the top 6 as a complimentary player. Bring Bertuzzi in September to be a special consultant/coach/mentor for the team and in particular Jake

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

The frustrating part is that the answer isn’t complicated and Green has told him and the public repeatedly.

Play north south, when you have the puck, use your size and speed drive to the net.  Do it basically every time until it is just habit.

When he does it he scores or opens up ice for someone else to score a rebound.

Instead he stays on the outside and makes a pass, or circles behind the net.

Its just like Goldy, except Jake is given a longer leash. Jake could see the press box next year a bit depending what we do to fix our team in the off season

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Well he is right about a top 6 winger and a top 4 D being big holes to fill.

If we can sign a forward and create a packag to trade for a D it would be pretty ideal and push some other players down the roster where they may have more success as well.

2020 picks shouldn’t be off the tsble

for trades if we get a young player back who will grow with the team.

I don't think 2019 picks should be off the table either. If we can package our 1st unless of course, we win the lotto, to procure a Trouba/Dumba type player I'm 100% fine with that. Its a bit late in the rebuild to find our top pairing RHD in the draft. Sodastream he is a top pairing guy. If JB is going to fill that hole in the depth chart it's gonna be a high price top pairing RHD value is around 1st line C. 

7 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I doubt it happens through a trade. To expensive and we don't have excess pieces that will get us what we need. Draft and develop.

I can see Benning trying to sign Myers and a top6 forward like Nyquist, Nelson or Dzingel. Maybe a veteran LD as well.

Hopefully get another European or NCAA free agent D as well. Kaski or Priskie. Get one of these guys, draft Soderstrom. Trade Hutton to get another talented middle six winger for Bo. 

LD                              RD

Edler                          Stecher

Hughes                      Myers

UFA                            Tanev

Juolevi                       Schenn

Sautner                    Kaski or Priskie

Brisebois                   Soderstrom

Teves                          Rafferty

Get lucky with some free agents signings and we could be set up very nicely

These comments are not exactly at you Retro, but more at the group as a whole...….

Well, OK

First I want to stand up and take a bow

I have said on countless posts that Benning will go after a LWer and a LHD

So, exactly where are those holes?

Yes, 1st line LWer and 1st RHD

Most probably they will not be Panarin and Karlsson

But more likely to be a Duchen/Skinner/Dzingel type on LW

And more likely a Myers/Stallman type RHD

They will still cost, but that is exactly what Benning is saying

...….he is basically saying we can afford them

Now to do that he will be busy clearing out cap...he has to

…….so be ready, it is coming, IMO

It will start with Sutter, who Benning said this year at the TDL, he had offers on

I think Tanev is gone by the TDL, if he isn't injured, which makes me think he is gone this summer

Baertschi will most likely be gone, as Pearson is an up grade to Baer, but neither are #1 LWers

and no way Baer can play down the lineup on this team, with his concussion history

Lastly, Tryamkin is still an prospect, until he is not, and there is a distinct possibility he will come back

regardless of what happens to Goldobin,who will be in a package this summer......lots of potential

(not here)

So...to summarize our Defense and Defensive Prospects in order of Ability/Potential/Position

it will be...until it changes...……..

LHD                                           RHD

Hughes                                     UFA

Edler                                         Stecher

Hutton                                      Tanev

Tryamkin                                  Woo

Juolevi                                     Schenn

Saunter                                    Chatfield

Brisebois                                  Rafferty

Rathbone

Teves

I agree, I see Benning going a NCAA-UFA defenseman (Priskie/Kaski?)

But I do not see him going after a Defenseman with our 2019 1st

I see him more than likely going after Defenceman with any

2019-2nd's we have

I see Benning going after a RWer for BO with our 2019 1st

or a LWer for Petterson if the right one falls (obviously changing his UFA target)

Hoping he can be ready to play in 2020, but it will depend on who is available

when we pick...…..Fingers crossed for one of Dach/Zegras/Boldy/Krebs

I get to say this because I was right about what Benning will be targeting in free agency

and I can't believe Tryamkin's parents would relocate here, if he wasn't coming...…...

As a parent and grampa of kids far away.....I can tell you its important to be near...….

Man, I hope I am right on some of this!

Cheers

PS......….it could happen in trade, but I agree, man it will cost!

8 hours ago, Provost said:

We certainly have pieces to make a trade.  We basically just have one bullet in the chamber of organizational depth though in order to make the right move.  

Pearson and Leivo have made Virtanen expendable.  Markstrom and Demko make DiPietro expendable.  Not that they aren’t useful players, but they arr also well served finding us a top 4 RD who has a point shot.

Virtanen, DiPietro, and a top 5 protected 2020 1st round pick is a solid package and we aren’t noticeably worse in their absence. 

Depending on the move and the other team’s needs, we also have Tanev, Hutton, Granlund, and Sutter who are decent trade chips in a package.

Keep DiPietro as we do not know what Expansion Draft will bring, Seattle could choose to take one of our two top goalies, I'm leaning to protect Demko despite Markstrom emergence of being a #1 starter..    I do agree that we have some trade chip to make on players like Tanev, Sutter, etc.  I also feel that Tanev could be traded away to make some room for our young D as I see that they are improving so much this season.  Tanev could not keep being healthy for a long stretch of time so it's better to cut the cord if we could.   As for Sutter, I feel that Gaudette is ready to make the next step with a strong summer training and the camp.   If we ever win the lottery, then Sutter is a great trading chip for whatever Benning wants along with the package to make it even more attractive offer without hurting our depth or creating a hole just to fill a hole of our own weakness.    I also do agree that I am starting not to like Virtenan despite great physical tool he has with some speed and I feel that his hockey sense is lacking in some area and I wouldn't mind trading him away but I am afraid that we might give up on him too soon.   I would take a risk trading him away for something we could use.   We have some depth to make things up.  I mean, we were doing well without Virtenan in the line-up.   

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Its just like Goldy, except Jake is given a longer leash. Jake could see the press box next year a bit depending what we do to fix our team in the off season

Jake hasn't been "given a longer leash". Jake can flat out do more. Goldy when he isn't passing the puck to Petey has 0 effect on the game. People b**** about Jake not being Tom Wilson or Todd Bertuzzi but at his worst he's decent defensively and occasionally throws a hit. At his best he provides some good depth scoring and causing problems around the opponents net. Which he has done at times this season. 

The fact Goldy is even on the team is a testament to the leeway he is being given. He's not in the lineup anymore cause we have better top 6 options and he literally brings nothing to the bottom 6 that gets the defensive deployments. Jake can play in the bottom 6 cause of his physicality and defensive game. It's not having a longer leash, it's about being able to do more. 

Nikolay Goldobin: 63 Games played, 7 goals, 20 assists, 27 points, -10, 14:59 TOI, 64.9% Offensive Zone starts

Jake Virtanen: 69 Games played, 15 goals, 10 assists, 25 points, -4, 14:49 TOI, 45% Offensive Zone starts

That's not even touching on the fact Jake has 152 hits to Goldy's 15. 46 takeways to Goldy's 20. 22 giveaways to Goldy's 33. Neither block a lot, but Jake has him beat there too. Jake wishes his leash was shorter if it meant he got elongated looks on a line with Petey or Horvat like Goldy got. When this team was beat up Jake's numbers looked a lot better. Coincidentally he was forced into a top 6 role at that time, but nobody seems to reference that. 

12 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I doubt it happens through a trade. To expensive and we don't have excess pieces that will get us what we need. Draft and develop.

I can see Benning trying to sign Myers and a top6 forward like Nyquist, Nelson or Dzingel. Maybe a veteran LD as well.

Hopefully get another European or NCAA free agent D as well. Kaski or Priskie. Get one of these guys, draft Soderstrom. Trade Hutton to get another talented middle six winger for Bo. 

LD                              RD

Edler                          Stecher

Hughes                      Myers

UFA                            Tanev

Juolevi                       Schenn

Sautner                    Kaski or Priskie

Brisebois                   Soderstrom

Teves                          Rafferty

Get lucky with some free agents signings and we could be set up very nicely

No more middle 6 wingers plz.

9 hours ago, Provost said:

I don’t know what Botchford is

suggesting, but numbers mean there has to be some serious housecleaning.

Too many forwards by far, and more so if you bring in another one.

Most or the following bunch need to have an effort towards moving out:  Sutter, Granlund, Schaller, Eriksson, Goldobin, Spooner.

That still leaves us with:

UFA-Petterson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

That is one or two spots for the 6 spare guys.

If Virtanen goes out as part of a trade for a D, that only adds one more spot and a bunch of guys without roster spots.

So first of all, who are we going to lose? Eriksson? Spooner?? Schaller???

Who cares! Honestly, who gives a flying tuck up the wazoo... All would be on waivers before we shed an important young player. Look how Motte took Gagner's spot.

And then one, maybe two guys will be injured. These guys were, and are NHL calibre bodies. Who are a couple of fries short of a happy meal. But fill a place until Dach, or whomever arrives.  Gaudette does need require waivers. Macewen would clear.  

It wont be costing us anyone we are concerned about losing.  

It will be like last year.  CDC will be panicking cuz we have ''too many bodies?'' And Benning will three, not one UFA forward.  And the year before...

16 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

If he doesn't know whats going on down at the farm he should be handed his walking papers , it sounds like he has left it up to Ryan Johnson Utica's  and he effed up.

I don't think there's any chance Benning is anywhere near as oblivious as you would like to believe. I am pretty sure you are projecting.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

So first of all, who are we going to lose? Eriksson? Spooner?? Schaller???

Who cares! Honestly, who gives a flying tuck up the wazoo... All would be on waivers before we shed an important young player. Look how Motte took Gagner's spot.

And then one, maybe two guys will be injured. These guys were, and are NHL calibre bodies. Who are a couple of fries short of a happy meal. But fill a place until Dach, or whomever arrives.  Gaudette does need require waivers. Macewen would clear.  

It wont be costing us anyone we are concerned about losing.  

It will be like last year.  CDC will be panicking cuz we have ''too many bodies?'' And Benning will three, not one UFA forward.  And the year before...

No one said we at panicking at all.  You seem uptight about something that wasn’t said at all.

The reason those players were pointed out was that we simply have too many bodies signed.  The conversation was about some housecleaning required.... not anything material to our success.

The return is pretty irrelevant as it is simply math.  If all those guys mentioned got traded for late round picks folks would be totally fine.  Some will even get waived and hopefully picked up so we aren’t stuck with their contracts or a bunch of veterans clogging up our farm team.

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Jake hasn't been "given a longer leash". Jake can flat out do more. Goldy when he isn't passing the puck to Petey has 0 effect on the game. People b**** about Jake not being Tom Wilson or Todd Bertuzzi but at his worst he's decent defensively and occasionally throws a hit. At his best he provides some good depth scoring and causing problems around the opponents net. Which he has done at times this season. 

The fact Goldy is even on the team is a testament to the leeway he is being given. He's not in the lineup anymore cause we have better top 6 options and he literally brings nothing to the bottom 6 that gets the defensive deployments. Jake can play in the bottom 6 cause of his physicality and defensive game. It's not having a longer leash, it's about being able to do more. 

Nikolay Goldobin: 63 Games played, 7 goals, 20 assists, 27 points, -10, 14:59 TOI, 64.9% Offensive Zone starts

Jake Virtanen: 69 Games played, 15 goals, 10 assists, 25 points, -4, 14:49 TOI, 45% Offensive Zone starts

That's not even touching on the fact Jake has 152 hits to Goldy's 15. 46 takeways to Goldy's 20. 22 giveaways to Goldy's 33. Neither block a lot, but Jake has him beat there too. Jake wishes his leash was shorter if it meant he got elongated looks on a line with Petey or Horvat like Goldy got. When this team was beat up Jake's numbers looked a lot better. Coincidentally he was forced into a top 6 role at that time, but nobody seems to reference that. 

You cant compare hits between those 2 players, Goldy is a playmaker with finesse where Jake has the speed and build to hopefully be a power forward.

Not sure how Goldobin has had a ton of leeway....This is his 1st full year in the NHL, this is Jake's 3rd year in the NHL.

Goldy has a higher offensive zone start mainly due to playing with EP, I am sure EP has a higher offensive zone start compared to the D zone. Jake is a more versatile player would can play a 3rd line role where as Goldy can't. Jake was drafted to be a top line or at worst a 2nd line scoring winger with size. Goldy is an offensive playmaker, who will never hit and be subpar on the defensive side of things.

We have better top 6 options? Loui "I dont show up for 77 games a year making 6m" Eriksson? He is still a dud and should not be on Bo's line, time to cut bait with him and try to get some better quality top 6 winger help. 

Your not totally wrong, I don't know if the Canucks will sign Goldy for 1 yr but I hope he is given a chance next fall. We had Hutton in the doghouse a ton last year and he rebounded with a solid off season that turned into a good season for us this year. Not holding my breath the same will happen for Goldy but its worth giving him a chance. Worst case you try move move him or have to waive him during the early part of next year.

8 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

No more middle 6 wingers plz.

A playmaking winger that can slot in beside Bo would really help. Thinking of like a Johnsson type player. Maybe Kapanen. Guys you probably wouldn't put on your top line but can really help Bo on that second line. Imagine lucking into Kakko or Hughes this draft and then trading for one of those wingers.

Hughes-Pettersson-Boeser          or         Johnsson-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Kapanen                         Pearson-Horvat-Kakko

what happened in Utica before the bottom fell out included losing Brisbois, Sautner, Schenn, Demko, Gaudette to call up (top 3 "D", top center and top goalie) and losing Dahlen to trade.

No real secret or puzzle to solve here....if they wanted Utica to win, they wouldn't have sat Brisbois and Sautner in the pressbox.

19 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Of the entire interview THIS is the standout for me.  It seems that Benning might not be thrilled with what happened and is looking for answers.  If he feels there's a genuine problem than I'd like to see what happens from here

Why wait until the end of the year? I would have thought there should be continual supervision. If they didn't have the staff to oversee things then they should have added someone.  WOW

Developing is not something you just let slide until the end of the year.

Archived