The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals/Discussion] Whats your best pitch for getting the #8 pick from Edmonton - go!

JM_

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have no interest in helping the Oilers. They will make their pick, and then ruin the development, as usual. Benning will get a good one at #10. But okay, here's my deal:

to VAN: Lucic and the #8

to EDM - #10

(Canucks will take over Lucic's contract, as a huge favour lol)

I'd rather swap picks with LA and take Kovalchuk off their hands if we are taking on a crappy contract

• Upvote 1

Not saying I would do this but...

Markstrom 

for

(Something like the Schneider deal EDM should have traded for).

Expanding on that...

Markstrom + Tanev

for

#8, Puljujarvi (or better prospect/player), Koskinen (cuz Edmonton stupidly gave him too much $$).

Largely dependant on JB comfortable with Demko combo in net.

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Definitely the Oilers would want Sutter to play that shut-down center role.  We would definitely need to add though.  I could see Sutter plus 10OA to move up to 8OA.

To get 8OA without including 10OA would cost Sutter plus a lot more, I think.  Sutter plus Jake plus our 2020 second?  Would that be enough?

Jake would go some of the way to replacing what they thought they were getting in Jesse.  Sutter, Jake and 2020 2nd.... I'd be fine with that. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

you just can't colour in the lines, eh? ^_^

Lol well Edmonton needs a scoring winger on a decent contract - I don't see us having anything to entice them to give up their pick unfortunately - other than taking on Lucic and no way in hell do i want that.

• Cheers 1

It's too late baby(as Carole King sang)..OTT will be all over this. Something like:

OTT: Tierney, Ceci, Balcers, OTT 2nd(32 OA pick)

EDM: 1st r, Puljujarvi, Lucic

(maybe they upgrade Tierney to Pageau?)

This enables EDM to deal RNH separately, to recoup a 1st. You heard it here FIRST!

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

Lol well Edmonton needs a scoring winger on a decent contract - I don't see us having anything to entice them to give up their pick unfortunately - other than taking on Lucic and no way in hell do i want that.

I got this discussion going to see if there was ANY option other than doing that to pry loose that pick. Doesn't seem to be the case with us in all likelihood. 

I do see Sutter as a good fit for them tho. Maybe they'd be willing to part with Even Bouchard if we retained salary on Sutter. 

I could see another team taking that on, maybe NJ or Ottawa? 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I got this discussion going to see if there was ANY option other than doing that to pry loose that pick. Doesn't seem to be the case with us in all likelihood. 

I do see Sutter as a good fit for them tho. Maybe they'd be willing to part with Even Bouchard if we retained salary on Sutter. 

I could see another team taking that on, maybe NJ or Ottawa? 

Actually thinking about it maybe we take Kris Russell and their 8th Overall pick - Oilers need cap relief and there has been talk about moving him for cap relief- not sure who we offer back to them - Russell is an ok defender he just can't play top 2 minutes

2 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Actually thinking about it maybe we take Kris Russell and their 8th Overall pick - Oilers need cap relief and there has been talk about moving him for cap relief- not sure who we offer back to them - Russell is an ok defender he just can't play top 2 minutes

if it wasn't for that NMC and Seattle expansion protection I'd say for sure, so thats a big consideration. Not necessarily a deal breaker tho. They don't really need to replace Russel on the right side, so maybe Jake? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if it wasn't for that NMC and Seattle expansion protection I'd say for sure, so thats a big consideration. Not necessarily a deal breaker tho. They don't really need to replace Russel on the right side, so maybe Jake? 

Pretty sure Russel is a UFA when the expansion draft comes around - could be wrong. But Jake would definitely be attractive to them I think - decent cap hit at least. Worse case give Nicholson someone other than Tobia Reider to blame if they miss the playoffs again :P

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think the jump from 10 to 8 is pretty huge.

In my eyes Hughes Kakko, Byram and Podkolzin are gone by 4.  Getting the 8 pick guarantees you one of them, or Dach, Cozens, Turcotte or Zegras. I think you move up a whole tier by moving 2 spots.

I think I'd offer:

Tanev and #10 for 

#8 and #38

My hope would then to package #38 and #40 to the Kings or Ducks to get the #25 or #26 pick (Depending on where the Sharks or Leafs Finish) to get whoever falls from Newhook, Kalyiev,Seider, Suzuki, Caufield, Vlasic or Heinola, Lavoie, Harley, Knight.

I actually really like the first part of this move ( hi-lifted above )

So that is 

8th OA

38th OA

40th OA

So then

What about ……..40th OA + DiPietro......or......40th OA + 2020 2nd...….or ……...40th OA + Hutton...…..or...…..40th OA + Baertschi...…..or 40th OA + Brisebois

for the 25th OA ?

Keep in mind, you are only moving up 15 or 16 spots...…...…….

8th OA

25th OA

38th OA

Looks pretty nice...……………….Great job BC Nate!

• Cheers 1

lol Edmonton isn't gonna trade the pick  they need the cheap  entry level contract  they are going to go for the best ready nhl player available in the draft and rush him in . besides that why do we want to help Edmonton ? 5 number 1 draft picks and they still suck lol

The chances of the OIlers picking an actual NHLer at 8 are pretty damn low.  Puljujarvi is looking like a bust, Yamamoto is a midget, and Bouchard is such a liability in his own zone he'd be lucky to make a decent AHL team as a Black Ace.  I'd rather let the Oilers take the only bust out of a solid draft class then do their job for them by providing them with useful hockey players.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol Edmonton isn't gonna trade the pick  they need the cheap  entry level contract  they are going to go for the best ready nhl player available in the draft and rush him in . besides that why do we want to help Edmonton ? 5 number 1 draft picks and they still suck lol

They might go for that Swap BC Nate suggested with Tanev...…..might have to carry some of his contract

Because let's face it...….the Oilers need a lot of things......LOL

5 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think the jump from 10 to 8 is pretty huge.

In my eyes Hughes Kakko, Byram and Podkolzin are gone by 4.  Getting the 8 pick guarantees you one of them, or Dach, Cozens, Turcotte or Zegras. I think you move up a whole tier by moving 2 spots.

I think I'd offer:

Tanev and #10 for 

#8 and #38

My hope would then to package #38 and #40 to the Kings or Ducks to get the #25 or #26 pick (Depending on where the Sharks or Leafs Finish) to get whoever falls from Newhook, Kalyiev,Seider, Suzuki, Caufield, Vlasic or Heinola, Lavoie, Harley, Knight.

I think this is the most likely scenario I've seen so far today. They could replace Petrovic with Tanev, a nice upgrade there. If we retained 1/2 on Tanev i think this is a done deal. 

• Upvote 1

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposals/Discussion] Whats your best pitch for getting the #8 pick from Edmonton - go!
3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

or youngerThey might go for that Swap BC Nate suggested with Tanev...…..might have to carry some of his contract

Because let's face it...….the Oilers need a lot of things......LOL

lol waste an asset to move up 2 spots to get a similar player and pay Edmonton as well to take tanev. you might as well trade him  and try to get 1st rounder or  a younger forward / dman  and still keep the pick

Edited by the grinder