The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals/Discussion] Whats your best pitch for getting the #8 pick from Edmonton - go!

JM_

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

what about for the #8 without giving up our 10th?

Goldobin + Sutter + 2020 2nd.  Something like that. They need a scorer. Goldy. They need an actual checking center that is not named RNH.  Sutter.  And obligatory upperish but delayed pick to round things out.  Not going to offer up any D, which they, and we too, need.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

Goldobin + Sutter + 2020 2nd.  Something like that. They need a scorer. Goldy. They need an actual checking center that is not named RNH.  Sutter.  And obligatory upperish but delayed pick to round things out.  Not going to offer up any D, which they, and we too, need.

I think if we take Gagner back you might have a deal. They get to push RNH up the scoring chain, Sutter really helps them in a shut down role, sheds salary and a potential wild card scorer in Goldy. 

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think adding that 2020 1st is too much - make it our 2nd this year and thats a good deal for the Coil imo. 

a breaking down dman

who misses so many games ?

and you want the 8th overall pick

and do not think a 1st rounder has to go back with the player?

nucks next year's 1st round is likely to be in the teens

i don't think tanev is worth a 2nd rounder on his own

so you are offering a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round (tanev) for #8 1st round pick?

coilers don't have chiapet anymore

Edited by coastal.view

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Looking at the top 10 picks, I think by far our best shot at getting another pick in that range is with Edmonton.

Total tire fire, frustrated superstar, angry fan base, only 8.4 mil in cap space + whatever the cap goes up by. Seems like a perfect storm to get  that pick.

Can we put together a package that makes sense?

I think we could get that pick for sure if in the scenario we take Lucic off their hands, but there has to be a better option than that. 

Interested to hear some ideas on what gets us that #8 pick. 

Don't forget that $8.4 M in cap space for next year is with only 15 players under contract.They virtually have no cap room left at all and any effort to pry their 1st round pick out of them would have to include taking back significant salary. Suggested proposals that include players like Sutter and Tanev simply will not work unless you are looking at taking on Lucic AND Sekera. I would have no interest in such a deal.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, xereau said:

No way I'd take that package for #10.  I'd lose my mind if Benning made a trade like that.   

Why would the Oilers trade a chance to draft a legit blue chip prospect for a  soon to be 24 year old prospect, who is as likely to completely wash out as he is to be a legit NHLer, an overpaid 3rd line centre who has been injured for the better part of 2 years, and a 2nd?

5 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Sutter+Hutton+4th round pick for the #8 pick

No way you are getting a top 10 pick in a deep draft for spare parts.  Every team in the league would offer a deal that is light years better than that if the Oilers put the pick on the trade market.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Don't forget that $8.4 M in cap space for next year is with only 15 players under contract.They virtually have no cap room left at all and any effort to pry their 1st round pick out of them would have to include taking back significant salary. Suggested proposals that include players like Sutter and Tanev simply will not work unless you are looking at taking on Lucic AND Sekera. I would have no interest in such a deal.

We could retain on both tho to make it work. 

If we were actually considering Lucic, then it would have to be something like Lucic + 8th oa for our 2nd or something cap-dumpy like that. We could actually afford to do that cap-wise but man would it be unpopular. 

14 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

a breaking down dman

who misses so many games ?

and you want the 8th overall pick

and do not think a 1st rounder has to go back with the player?

nucks next year's 1st round is likely to be in the teens

i don't think tanev is worth a 2nd rounder on his own

so you are offering a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round (tanev) for #8 1st round pick?

coilers don't have chiapet anymore

its going to cost them a 1st rounder to get someone like Tanev at the TDL, thats why I think the 2020 1st back to them is too high. Tanev and Larsson on their right side gives them far better options than they have now - e.g., Nurse-Tanev could be a great pairing for them.

Remember, my premise is desperation. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We could retain on both tho to make it work. 

If we were actually considering Lucic, then it would have to be something like Lucic + 8th oa for our 2nd or something cap-dumpy like that. We could actually afford to do that cap-wise but man would it be unpopular. 

Retiaining salary for both would have us at our maximum retained salaries through to next summer and really takes away flexibility for too long in my estimation. Edmonton is going to want players on ELC's back so they can add those 8 contracts and still have some chance of getting under the cap. I would love to have them accept Tanev/Sutter as part of a deal but I just cannot see it work without taking back Lucic + as you suggest but I would have no interest if that were the cost.

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

No way you are getting a top 10 pick in a deep draft for spare parts.  Every team in the league would offer a deal that is light years better than that if the Oilers put the pick on the trade market.  

First I've heard of it being a deep draft. Both Hutton and Sutter offer something the coil need to actually be a better team next year.

And we're talking about the Oilers. Like they've made a good trade in years.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

First I've heard of it being a deep draft. Both Hutton and Sutter offer something the coil need to actually be a better team next year.

And we're talking about the Oilers. Like they've made a good trade in years.

Would you be happy with that return for our #10 pick?  

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Retiaining salary for both would have us at our maximum retained salaries through to next summer and really takes away flexibility for too long in my estimation. Edmonton is going to want players on ELC's back so they can add those 8 contracts and still have some chance of getting under the cap. I would love to have them accept Tanev/Sutter as part of a deal but I just cannot see it work without taking back Lucic + as you suggest but I would have no interest if that were the cost.

I'm fine with the retention part, thats worth another top 10 pick imo. 

I could see someone taking Lucic off their hands for that 8th tho. If we didn't have Loui's contract it would be hard to say no to. But we do. So unless Jim can move Loui prior to the draft I can't see it. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what about for the #8 without giving up our 10th?

Yup, I get your OP now.  Sometimes I ... ughhh .... :picard:

The Oilers are definitely in win now mode.  Getting another draft pick, who will take 3 to 5 years to actually help their current core just does them no real good.  

So, considering that,  I would expect the Oilers expect immediate help.  I'd offer a current D, not Hughes, a current forward, Not Petey, Boeser, Bo, Jake, Gaudette, and one of our young goalies.

Hutton

Grannlund

Dipietro

Okay, that's a horrible offer.  I need my meds. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm fine with the retention part, thats worth another top 10 pick imo. 

I could see someone taking Lucic off their hands for that 8th tho. If we didn't have Loui's contract it would be hard to say no to. But we do. So unless Jim can move Loui prior to the draft I can't see it. 

Unless Lucic is willing to waive his NMC and then drop that restriction from his new team he is going nowhere. Can't imagine any NHL team wanting that NMC and having to protect him in the expansion draft.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup, I get your OP now.  Sometimes I ... ughhh .... :picard:

The Oilers are definitely in win now mode.  Getting another draft pick, who will take 3 to 5 years to actually help their current core just does them no real good.  

So, considering that,  I would expect the Oilers expect immediate help.  I'd offer a current D, not Hughes, a current forward, Not Petey, Boeser, Bo, Jake, Gaudette, and one of our young goalies.

Hutton

Grannlund

Dipietro

Okay, that's a horrible offer.  I need my meds. 

what about Tanev and Sutter for Gagner, Russel and their 8th? they'd have to convince Russel to waive but he might. But I mean, who the hell gives Russel a NTC? :lol: oh Edmonton. 

Nope scratch this - its a NMC! I thought it was a NTC. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Unless Lucic is willing to waive his NMC and then drop that restriction from his new team he is going nowhere. Can't imagine any NHL team wanting that NMC and having to protect him in the expansion draft.

very good point. he's even more of an anchor than I first thought. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill