The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals/Discussion] Whats your best pitch for getting the #8 pick from Edmonton - go!

JM_

On 4/16/2019 at 3:31 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

what about for the #8 without giving up our 10th?

OJ and JV would do it.  Not sure we should of course but if there is a player that Benning thinks is worth it at 8 I wouldn’t be apposed to the idea.  Could draft Broberg and Soderstrom and possibly in a few years have a very capable second line that might one day move up.   Of course OJ could also get there one day, and JV too.  

Edit:   Actually I think they’d like it if we took some cap off their hands more than adding cap...OJ and Tanev for Lucic and their 8th would a better deal for them as they need defenseman more than anything.  Don’t know if they’d do it though...considering they could just draft Broberg.

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

OJ and JV would do it.  Not sure we should of course but if there is a player that Benning thinks is worth it at 8 I wouldn’t be apposed to the idea.  Could draft Broberg and Soderstrom and possibly in a few years have a very capable second line that might one day move up.   Of course OJ could also get there one day, and JV too.  

Edit:   Actually I think they’d like it if we took some cap off their hands more than adding cap...OJ and Tanev for Lucic and their 8th would a better deal for them as they need defenseman more than anything.  Don’t know if they’d do it though...considering they could just draft Broberg.

I think they would as Broberg doesn't give them the immediate help they need

I wonder if they'd do OJ, Tanev for Russel, Gagner & their 8th? d upgrade and cap dump all at the same time for them

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think they would as Broberg doesn't give them the immediate help they need

I wonder if they'd do OJ, Tanev for Russel, Gagner & their 8th? d upgrade and cap dump all at the same time for them

Yes your right, if they want to use McDavid and Draiatls best years they would jump on a deal like this.  Don’t think we’d need to take a camp dump for this deal either maybe just an equal salaried player to make room for Tanevs cap hit.  The big thing is inter division trades like this are extremely rare.  We might be better going after CHIs picks (even though they say they will keep it), maybe COL too.  Would cost a lot more no doubt, but maybe worth it?  It sure would be nice to add another first though ...

1 hour ago, BPA said:

I posted before. 

Markstrom for EDM 8th.  Draft Broberg and Soderstrom with #8 and #10 pick.

Run with Demko and back-up in net.

Sign a UFA top 6 winger.

You’re crazy if you think any team will give a top 10 pick for Markstrom. He’s 29, a year away from free agency, and literally only has 1/2 a good season under his belt. 

1 hour ago, BPA said:

I posted before. 

Sign a UFA top 6 winger.

They've signed Koskinen to a 3 year extension to be their starter.  

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You’re crazy if you think any team will give a top 10 pick for Markstrom. He’s 29, a year away from free agency, and literally only has 1/2 a good season under his belt. 

I think EDM is crazy enough but Chiarelli is no longer the GM.  :(

Lol. :P

On 4/16/2019 at 11:25 AM, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Why would you want to move up 2 spots? I think it’s a lateral move

With our scouting as an strength and teams ahead of us selecting based on immediate needs we should stay put at 10.

You may truly believe that there’s a group of players from 5 to 12 that are interchangeable and irregardless of who is there you’re getting a good guy. However I bet our scouting staff who has been making their list all year has their BPA mapped out and players they’d really like at each pick. If they could move up a couple spots to ensure they get their guy I bet they’d love to move up and make sure they get him.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:39 AM, BPA said:

I posted before. 

Sign a UFA top 6 winger.

Kind of funny you have the name BPA and suggest to take both dmen at 8th and 10th who likely aren’t BPA at those spots lol.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

You may truly believe that there’s a group of players from 5 to 12 that are interchangeable and irregardless of who is there you’re getting a good guy. However I bet our scouting staff who has been making their list all year has their BPA mapped out and players they’d really like at each pick. If they could move up a couple spots to ensure they get their guy I bet they’d love to move up and make sure they get him.

Maybe. If their guy is gone early thought you stay at 10. Why give up extra assets otherwise. 

I believe Broberg is our guy and since he’s not getting top 10 attention we may not need to move up to get him. 

15 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Maybe. If their guy is gone early thought you stay at 10. Why give up extra assets otherwise. 

I believe Broberg is our guy and since he’s not getting top 10 attention we may not need to move up to get him. 

Yeah that very well may be the case and trading wouldn’t make sense in that scenario. However maybe they like somebody different who is ranked to go around 6ish and becomes available at 8 during the draft. Do you risk it through two more picks or trade up and get your guy? If I liked the guy more than the rest I wouldn’t risk it.

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Kind of funny you have the name BPA and suggest to take both dmen at 8th and 10th who likely aren’t BPA at those spots lol.

Maybe. Maybe not.  Depends on how JB list is drawn up.  Many people thought JB made a mistake with EP cuz he wasn't BPA on some Scouts list.  Pretty sure he was right on that one.

I am sorry...……….:picard:

Where the hell does JV, OJ and taking Lucic contract = 8th OA

Lucic by himself = 8th OA

It is a horrible contract for a horrible player

Just look what Chicago gave up for a year of contract, twice!

If...and I mean if you want the 8th...…..give them

DiPietro + 2021 1st (unprotected) + Tanev and Baertschi...……………….this is a manageable over payment

for

Lucic and 2019 8th OA

That is a help them now, help them later offer, and is a huge Over payment, we can handle

That is a 

Defensman who can actually play defense

a LWer who is offensive and can actually score

a 2021st that might only be 7 or 8 spots behind what they are trading, with a possibility of a 1st OA

Plus eliminating 24 Million in cap, which allows them to upgrade somewhere

Plus a high end goalie prospect

That is massive Overpayment and still better than giving up OJ and JV and taking on Lucic

IMHO :picard:

On 4/19/2019 at 12:39 PM, BPA said:

I posted before. 

Sign a UFA top 6 winger.

Markstroms not getting number eight.  Schneider was one of the best young goalies in the league when he was traded (think Gibson quality) and the most he would get was the ninth overall. He might get us a second and a B level prospect if we are very lucky.  Look what it took to get Andersson from ANA a few years ago and what Dubnyk was traded for and even Eddie Lack (and he had a .920 sp at times the same as Nilsson did when we traded for him).   Unless a goalie is highly touted, they don’t get much of a return.  It’s very small market for goalies and there are tons around/available, many if they got the chance might even turn out pretty good.

Doubt Demko would get us he 8th either.  More importantly EDM won’t make a trade with anyone in their division that’s this big and vice versa.  If we want to move up we need to be working with teams that aren’t in our conference or at the very least in the Central.   

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

To Vancouver 

8th overall plus lucic 

To Edmonton 

Sutter.  Tanev 

Then trade 10 th and 8 th for 1st oa. 

Sutter tanev our tenth and taking on lucic for Jack Hughes

It’s amazing how old, injury prone players that most fans don’t want on the Canucks anymore can somehow score the 8th overall pick. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

It’s amazing how old, injury prone players that most fans don’t want on the Canucks anymore can somehow score the 8th overall pick. 

Of coarse.  But maybe you aren't putting a high enough value on what it means to take on lucic? 

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:17 PM, erkayloomeh said:

To Vancouver 

8th overall plus lucic 

To Edmonton 

Sutter.  Tanev 

Then trade 10 th and 8 th for 1st oa. 

Sutter tanev our tenth and taking on lucic for Jack Hughes

This would make Edmonton a playoff contender  but I would keep the 8th and 10th and draft Broberg and Kaliyev or Lavoie, Send Lou Ericksson Utica or any one that will have him. put Lucic in the press box and leave him there.

The Oilers desperately need cap space that they can spend on players that will not be dead weight. Chiarelli ruined the last 4 years. There is an expectation of doing dramatic things to fix the team for next season. Trading the 8th OA is a strong option for the new GM but cap dump will be part of getting it. Lucic - who of course has a NTC, Russel and Koskinen are key dump targets. Oilers needs are scoring wingers, puck moving D (or at least a defensive upgrade) and goalies. Their prime assets are 8th OA and Puljujarvi. Any team that wants those will have cap hit/bad contract strapped to the asset. Anyone thinking Sutter with cap retention gets Edmonton to say yes isn't understanding what they want. Hutton, Virtanen, Goldobin, Baetschi, Stecher, Gaudette, Juolevi, Demko is the type of return they are looking for - cheap contracts for young NHL players with upside. While Chiarelli was dumber than most of us arm chair GMs - most GMs are a much smarter. I don't see their new GM's first trade to be a bad one. 

Should the Canucks be entertaining giving a division rival with 2 of the best players in the league the opportunity to be better? Somehow that doesn't make sense to me... 8th OA would be great but not if it means giving the Oilers the chance to fix their wrongs and compete for a Pacific top 3 at the Canucks expense. The Canucks are a viable partner because of cap space and the types of player the Oilers want back. I suspect the Canucks and Oilers talk but I doubt a deal happens because of the inter-divisional implications. 

Archived