The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals/Discussion] Whats your best pitch for getting the #8 pick from Edmonton - go!

JM_

Late to the party here but here goes. 

The thing the oilers need need more than anything else is cap space. Not only are they awful, but their pressed against the cap as well. Their worst contract is lucic. Second worst is sekera. 

I’d say

to Van

8th OA and Sekera

to Edmonton

joulevi

joulevi played with bouchard in London and even though he’d not worth 8th overall on his own, the Canucks are doing a huge favour taking Sekera back from them

46 minutes ago, the grinder said:

lol waste an asset to move up 2 spots to get a similar player and pay Edmonton as well to take tanev. you might as well trade him  and try to get 1st rounder or  a younger forward / dman  and still keep the pick

No, I think you missed the 38th OA, as well...….

Here is my point...if you move Tanev and replace him with Stalman……..that is a lateral move...…..not a loss, not a win, except it isn't just Stalman, or who ever...

It basically turns out to be a swap of 1st, where you get a choice of 2 more players, which may or may not help you, but you get the 38th as well, which along with the Canucks 2nd (40th), gives Jim a heck of a lot of versatility.....as suggested above, in my last post.....the trades are endless, and so are the opportunities.

I don't get your point...……..It is a good trade  for Tanev. IMO

32 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Late to the party here but here goes. 

The thing the oilers need need more than anything else is cap space. Not only are they awful, but their pressed against the cap as well. Their worst contract is lucic. Second worst is sekera. 

I’d say

to Van

8th OA and Sekera

to Edmonton

joulevi

joulevi played with bouchard in London and even though he’d not worth 8th overall on his own, the Canucks are doing a huge favour taking Sekera back from them

Yeah, I am not sure that we want to do any favors for Edmonton

Juolevi is just fine......he will be a player when he recovers...…….sorry, I think we are over paying on your suggestion...

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah, I am not sure that we want to do any favors for Edmonton

Juolevi is just fine......he will be a player when he recovers...…….sorry, I think we are over paying on your suggestion...

Agreed.  I think I would keep Joulevi over the 8th this year.  As you mention I only want to hurt and not help the Oilers.  The hope is they get stuck with the same roster and have the same result.

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

What about DiPietro, Madden, Tanev for Puljujarvi and 8th overall.

Draft Zegras and Soderstrom

I have often wondered what Maddens trade value would be, but honestly, what happens if he is better than everyone?...….I seen him live, and he is crazy good.....maybe not Hughes good, but if he grows, look out!...….He played first line with Hughes at the worlds, and did not look out of place....

I am not sure how good he is? In a good way!

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have often wondered what Maddens trade value would be, but honestly, what happens if he is better than everyone?...….I seen him live, and he is crazy good.....maybe not Hughes good, but if he grows, look out!...….He played first line with Hughes at the worlds, and did not look out of place....

I am not sure how good he is? In a good way!

That is definitely the wild card but my bet would be that Zegras and maybe Puljujarvi mitigate that risk as the odds are that they will both be better.  Seeing Madden on TV and there is certainly something to get excited about.  From a needs perspective I would still go for this swap.

Hi Mr.new gm!! this is Jim Benning. Just wanted to let you know your franchise sucks and you should give me the 8th pick. I will let you take Eriksson as a token of my appreciation for the laughter the Oilers have brought the nhl. Signed, Sealed and delivered. I believe Jim.... I believe. 

I don’t think the new GM will be nearly as desperate as he would need to be to accept the majority of these deals.  Yes. They only have $8.5m in cap space,  But the cap is expected to rise by $3.5m to $83m.  That gives them $12m with no significant players to re-sign.  They can easily fill in the roster spots with what they have available. 

They'll have limited space to actually improve the team. But I doubt the new GM will want to set a precedent of getting bent over a barrel on his first trade.

Any reasonable fan will realize that it’s a mess that won’t be cleaned up with a single trade. And giving away a top 8 pick to clear cap space doesn’t send a message that the team is heading in the right direction.  I think you’ll see a much more measured approach by the new GM than people here are expecting. 

10 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Agreed.  I think I would keep Joulevi over the 8th this year.  As you mention I only want to hurt and not help the Oilers.  The hope is they get stuck with the same roster and have the same result.

You're a savage :bigblush:

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

No, I think you missed the 38th OA, as well...….

Here is my point...if you move Tanev and replace him with Stalman……..that is a lateral move...…..not a loss, not a win, except it isn't just Stalman, or who ever...

It basically turns out to be a swap of 1st, where you get a choice of 2 more players, which may or may not help you, but you get the 38th as well, which along with the Canucks 2nd (40th), gives Jim a heck of a lot of versatility.....as suggested above, in my last post.....the trades are endless, and so are the opportunities.

I don't get your point...……..It is a good trade  for Tanev. IMO

the point is Edmonton isn't going to do that deal  , you have a better chance trading him to a top 16 team rather than a bottom 16 team ,.would you not  rather have another 1st rounder  and still have the 10 th pick?    the difference between 8th and 10th  isn't much  the difference between a late 1st rounder  and 38th  is a hella of a lot more. 2 first rounders  that gives jim a chance to do what he does best 

8 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t think the new GM will be nearly as desperate as he would need to be to accept the majority of these deals.  Yes. They only have $8.5m in cap space,  But the cap is expected to rise by $3.5m to $83m.  That gives them $12m with no significant players to re-sign.  They can easily fill in the roster spots with what they have available. 

They'll have limited space to actually improve the team. But I doubt the new GM will want to set a precedent of getting bent over a barrel on his first trade.

Any reasonable fan will realize that it’s a mess that won’t be cleaned up with a single trade. And giving away a top 8 pick to clear cap space doesn’t send a message that the team is heading in the right direction.  I think you’ll see a much more measured approach by the new GM than people here are expecting. 

I hope so, that means we'll probably leap frog them in development :P

If they could shed Lucic I think the 8th is in the cards if they got a top 4 RHD or shut down C back on decent terms. No new GM is going to come in and preach patience, the fans think they have the 'best player in the world' and they expect results, not some slow moving plan to get them there. 

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:20 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

Looking at the top 10 picks, I think by far our best shot at getting another pick in that range is with Edmonton.

Total tire fire, frustrated superstar, angry fan base, only 8.4 mil in cap space + whatever the cap goes up by. Seems like a perfect storm to get  that pick.

Can we put together a package that makes sense?

I think we could get that pick for sure if in the scenario we take Lucic off their hands, but there has to be a better option than that. 

Interested to hear some ideas on what gets us that #8 pick. 

If we could get creative and sell Edmonton on Goldy, Hutton and a couple 2nds in future drafts for 8 OA and Lucic, then turn around and package 8 OA and 10 OA with Baer, + for 1 OA I'd be interested. This would also be contingent on if management thinks they could offload one of Lucic or Eriksson.

Oh pipe dreams

35 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

If we could get creative and sell Edmonton on Goldy, Hutton and a couple 2nds in future drafts for 8 OA and Lucic, then turn around and package 8 OA and 10 OA with Baer, + for 1 OA I'd be interested. This would also be contingent on if management thinks they could offload one of Lucic or Eriksson.

Oh pipe dreams

thats a lot of moving parts :lol: But yeah thats what it would take to stomach seeing Lucic in blue and green.

On 4/16/2019 at 12:29 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

I never said swap, but that is an option.

No, I want that #8 pick and our #10. 

It seems reading retention is limited around these parts

Here we go

Madden, Baertschi, Hutton, 2019 second

Pick 8 top defence prospect

Pick 10 winger with highest ceiling

13 hours ago, Wanless said:

It seems reading retention is limited around these parts

Here we go

Madden, Baertschi, Hutton, 2019 second

Pick 8 top defence prospect

Pick 10 winger with highest ceiling

that gives Edmonton some immediate and future upgrades. 

Archived