The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

40 minutes ago, Xur said:

So Tyson Barrie is my best friends nephew. I'm not claiming to be a legitimate source or anything. However we have always wanted Tyson to join the canucks. I have tons of signed Tyson gear. That said I was excited and talked with his family tonight and they told me that Tyson was well aware that something might happen and they were all hoping for it. Just because it didnt happen tonight doesn't mean something isnt in the works. He wants to play here and that gives the Avs trade value as he would be willing to sign a conditional extension. I know you all have your reasons why you would or wouldn't want him here. But as a lifelong canucks fan, I would love to see Tyson sign here, and he would play his heart out for this team.

Would love to see him on the Canucks. I just hope Benning doesn't get fleeced like Ottawa did with the Duchene trade. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh colorado doesnt have any dead contract and they have 13 players signed with 36mil in cap space. let's just say rantenen and barrie takes up 17mil that's still not too bad 21-22 will prolly be more of a problem when landeskog contract is also up.. if it comes down to keeping barrie or trading erik johnson i think erik johnson will be moved to make 

Looking at capfriendly it does indicate 36 million  but they have alot of fa and rfa coming due these next few years and Sakic will be doing some cap management if you include Makar in two and the two first in three if they hit there potential..  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 hour ago, Brock Botanen said:

Colorado got Newhook and Byram!

Going to be a lot of future WCF between the Avalanche and the Canucks

Thinking the same thing myself.  Balance of power in West (starting next year) will start with.... Unfortunately the Avs, then in a couple years the Canucks.  We'll see but I don't believe any of the other teams (in the West) will be built to win like these two teams going forward the next 5 to 10 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Xur said:

So Tyson Barrie is my best friends nephew. I'm not claiming to be a legitimate source or anything. However we have always wanted Tyson to join the canucks. I have tons of signed Tyson gear. That said I was excited and talked with his family tonight and they told me that Tyson was well aware that something might happen and they were all hoping for it. Just because it didnt happen tonight doesn't mean something isnt in the works. He wants to play here and that gives the Avs trade value as he would be willing to sign a conditional extension. I know you all have your reasons why you would or wouldn't want him here. But as a lifelong canucks fan, I would love to see Tyson sign here, and he would play his heart out for this team.

I don’t think anyone has an issue with Barrie as a player, just the potential cost to acquire him.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Rodishred said:

Thinking the same thing myself.  Balance of power in West (starting next year) will start with.... Unfortunately the Avs, then in a couple years the Canucks.  We'll see but I don't believe any of the other teams (in the West) will be built to win like these two teams going forward the next 5 to 10 years.

Going to be a fierce rivalry..

Oilers will become a force. Yeah it's fun to pick on them now but there's no way McDavid won't bring them a cup

42 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Barrie for Ferland small+ after Faulk delt perhaps?

Ferland is a free agent.  Barrie still has a year on his deal.  Carolina talked to Faulk about an extension.  He is available because he priced himself outside of what they are willing to pay.  It's even less likely that they can afford Barrie.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

Going to be a fierce rivalry..

Oilers will become a force. Yeah it's fun to pick on them now but there's no way McDavid won't bring them a cup

With McDavid and Draisaitl you never know.... But it takes a team to win and I'm not sure if Edmonton will get the right pieces together under the cap to win while they have those two.  Today was a good choice for them in Broberg.  We'll see what Holland can do.

Just now, Rodishred said:

With McDavid and Draisaitl you never know.... But it takes a team to win and I'm not sure if Edmonton will get the right pieces together under the cap to win while they have those two.  Today was a good choice for them in Broberg.  We'll see what Holland can do.

Broberg is definitely a Holland kind of pick.  Seems like it could take a decade to turn the Oilers into a Holland kind of team.  Not sure it's going to work, Oilers seem too much like a mixed bag right now.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Broberg is definitely a Holland kind of pick.  Seems like it could take a decade to turn the Oilers into a Holland kind of team.  Not sure it's going to work, Oilers seem too much like a mixed bag right now.  

Exactly... Not a team with the right complimentary players.  Thats why I think the Avs and Nucks have the right type of players to play the style their systems are asking of them.  Like you say it will be a lot of fun over the next decade or so.

11 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Canucks and Avs will be a fierce rivalry and that's why Canucks shouldn't trade Virtanen to the Avs.  Gaudette and Virtanen as our third line depth is how the Canucks will beat the Avs in a seven game series.   It may not happen till Podz joins the team tho.

Absolutely... Include Madden, and Woo as well.  High character, high compete with skill.  Looking at Rathbone too... Just around the corner!

1 hour ago, Xur said:

I would like Barrie here: when he is a free agent; dont want to overpay Colorado for a potential rental.

3 hours ago, HOFsedins said:

Man its tough to say that he is Top 10 in the league. 

Oh I forgot... around here he’s considered to be behind Edler, Tanev, Stetcher, Hutton, Hughes, Schenn, Biega and anyone else that we’re in the mix for. 

I was basing my assumption on him finishing 7th best amongst points for defensemen last season and his skating, defence that he showed in the playoffs along with the way he creates space on the power play.... my bad.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Oh I forgot... around here he’s considered to be behind Edler, Tanev, Stetcher, Hutton, Hughes, Schenn, Biega and anyone else that we’re in the mix for. 

I was basing my assumption on him finishing 7th best amongst points for defensemen last season and his skating, defence that he showed in the playoffs along with the way he creates space on the power play.... my bad.

Love the sarcasm. Dont have to be a dick about it. Im not saying he isnt talented but the reason I beg to differ was the reason you saying he is Top 10 in the league. IMO COL is going to maximize their return on this trade which I dont think we can afford unless it ends up being a hockey trade.

Would love to feed you a real Top 10.

Hedman, Jones, Karlsson, Doughty, Werenski, Burns, Byfuglien, Weber, Josi, Klingberg

Just to name 10 for the sake of it. All of the above I would take over Mr Tyson Barrie.

Edited by HOFsedins

I’m still hoping we get a deal done to bring Tyson Barrie to Vancouver. 

I just don’t know what we could offer Sakic to get a deal done since the 1st rounder is out of play. I think we have good guys around our core players, but I don’t see them having real value in a trade like that.

Benning was thought to be making another play Friday. He was linked to acquiring Colorado right-shot defenceman Tyson Barrie, especially after the Avalanche selected Vancouver Giants standout blueliner Bowen Byram with the fourth pick.

With young talents like Samuel Girard and Cale Markar, the 59-point Victoria native is deemed expendable. Jake Virtanen and a 2020 pick were supposed to be going the other way in the deal that gained momentum throughout the day and fizzled out at night.

“Yeah, we tried,” admitted Benning. “We were looking at a lot of different things and I’m hoping to get something done. We’re still looking at some things. It may happen tomorrow (Saturday) with a bunch of deals. I think there’s going to be quite a bit of movement — it just didn’t happen today.”

-Ben Kuzma

To note, I think the article is playing a little trickery. Benning was asked if he was involved in any trades, not Barrie specifically. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/ben-kuzma-canucks-had-options-but-were-always-sold-on-russian-vasili-podkolzin/ar-AADfEfO?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout

Edited by Duodenum
  • Wat 1

22 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Benning was thought to be making another play Friday. He was linked to acquiring Colorado right-shot defenceman Tyson Barrie, especially after the Avalanche selected Vancouver Giants standout blueliner Bowen Byram with the fourth pick.

With young talents like Samuel Girard and Cale Markar, the 59-point Victoria native is deemed expendable. Jake Virtanen and a 2020 pick were supposed to be going the other way in the deal that gained momentum throughout the day and fizzled out at night.

“Yeah, we tried,” admitted Benning. “We were looking at a lot of different things and I’m hoping to get something done. We’re still looking at some things. It may happen tomorrow (Saturday) with a bunch of deals. I think there’s going to be quite a bit of movement — it just didn’t happen today.”

-Ben Kuzma

To note, I think the article is playing a little trickery. Benning was asked if he was involved in any trades, not Barrie specifically. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/ben-kuzma-canucks-had-options-but-were-always-sold-on-russian-vasili-podkolzin/ar-AADfEfO?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout

Is that a direct quote from JB saying "it may happen tomorrow"???? I don't care of it's Barrie or Lucic but it's about damn time, says LeBron. 

21 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

-Ben Kuzma

Ya he’s being cute with his phrasing. Benning flat out denied the Barrie/Avs stuff, said nothing was close. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Is that a direct quote from JB saying "it may happen tomorrow"???? I don't care of it's Barrie or Lucic but it's about damn time, says LeBron. 

I think Benning means in general there will be trades today. Everyone is waiting for the outcome of the salary cap increase for next season.