The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

It does make some sense if Colorado is confident in getting Byram.  Canucks have been connected to wanting him for at least a couple years now.  Barrie has a year left after which he is likely going to be paid big.  Would be another small guy along with Stecher and Hughes, but that's the way things seem to be going.  Big question of course -- what's the cost?  Maybe Stecher has to go back, along with a high pick and a good forward, or maybe he's told them he intends to go UFA and we can eke out a Trouba-like trade.

LeBrun does say that Colorado are willing to listen on Barrie.  They are looking for a top-6 F. 

Sakic a month ago said he was going to talk to Barrie about an extension - maybe he didn't like the numbers.  They do have Makar and Johnson on the right side and they hope for Timmins to play this coming season.

Just now, HKSR said:

No thanks.  We need more size on the back end if we ever want to make an impact in the playoffs.

Exactly. Edler is the largest defenseman under contract right now, and while he can be an absolute beast, he can't be the lone physical presence on the back end, once again. Dhaliwal needs to stop flapping his gums.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He's from Victoria. They are probably hoping he will sign here long term. He would be a delight on our backend.

Why not just wait until he's a UFA and sign him then for just dollars?  We don't have young assets or picks to give up.  

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Would love to add Barrie but I can't see how we can afford to trade for him. If they want Tanev that's a start but I cant imagine the other pieces are in our wheelhouse. Hate to dwell on it constantly but again it's out previous crap drafting that has us in this hole. We took Anton Rodin just before Barrie. Barrie was playing just down the road in Kelowna and playing, skating very well. The regime of Nonis and Gillis had a few hits on picks but way, way too many whiffs. 

They are willing to move Barrie because it's getting crowded on the right side with Makar, Johnson and Timmins.  Timmins is stil a question mark so they could keep Barrie another year but they are willing to move him if he brings back a top-6 F which they are missing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Would love to add Barrie but I can't see how we can afford to trade for him. If they want Tanev that's a start but I cant imagine the other pieces are in our wheelhouse. Hate to dwell on it constantly but again it's out previous crap drafting that has us in this hole. We took Anton Rodin just before Barrie. Barrie was playing just down the road in Kelowna and playing, skating very well. The regime of Nonis and Gillis had a few hits on picks but way, way too many whiffs. 

This exactly!

• Upvote 1

I don't think he'll be worth more to us than what we would have to give up in a trade for him. Colorado, who went on a fantastic run, are the lowest cap team in the NHL right now. I don't see why they would be that interested in moving him (unless as mentioned, they started talking extension and he's not into staying in COL). Not sure what they would want from our team.

Take Loui to reach the floor? :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

They are willing to move Barrie because it's getting crowded on the right side with Makar, Johnson and Timmins.  Timmins is stil a question mark so they could keep Barrie another year but they are willing to move him if he brings back a top-6 F which they are missing.

OK so who's that on our team that we can part with? Jake has top 6 potential but he's not near enough. I wouldn't want to give up Jake + our 10th. Maybe if Jim can land another pick in the 20-30 range + Jake that might get it done. 

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Sven Baerstchi. Can we sell him as a top 6 forward. :lol: I'm dreaming. Great contract tho if he can stay healthy.

• Like 1