The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

12 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

I don’t understand Russia. He’s allowed to hop between all three leagues at will? I assume the three teams at least play in the same city?

Yeah, all three teams are part of the SKA organization and play in St. Petersburg. Basically, think of it like this: KHL=NHL, VHL=AHL, and MHL=major junior/u20. 

33 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, all three teams are part of the SKA organization and play in St. Petersburg. Basically, think of it like this: KHL=NHL, VHL=AHL, and MHL=major junior/u20. 

Yeah I understand the levels of the leagues but when have you ever seen a player move up and down between all 3 leagues and play a game just when one team isn’t playing games?

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Good for you Trollbooth!  Enjoy your evening!

Thinking Pod was a bigger stronger player than he actually is, is not trolling, it's a mistake I made. 

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Podz will replace guys like Baer.  It could Pearson he replaces too.  Podz will absolutely be in our top 9 in two years, and he will be a huge upgrade on guys like Baer or Pearson.  

I'm not ready to make any judgements on his playing ability just yet.

2 minutes ago, Tollbooth said:

Thinking Pod was a bigger stronger player than he actually is, is not trolling, it's a mistake I made. 

I'm not ready to make any judgements on his playing ability just yet.

It's a prediction by a fan of our team.  Podz has a ceiling of a top line winger, who is a Matt Tkatchuk level.  I choose to predict he reaches that ceiling.  :towel:

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's a prediction by a fan of our team.  Podz has a ceiling of a top line winger, who is a Matt Tkatchuk level.  I choose to predict he reaches that ceiling.  :towel:

That'd be sweet. I'll give you some kudos in 2022. Maybe I'll jump on your bandwagon some day after watching him play a bit (or seeing some numbers put up).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Yeah I understand the levels of the leagues but when have you ever seen a player move up and down between all 3 leagues and play a game just when one team isn’t playing games?

It’s fairly common in Europe. I’ve seen prospects in several of the elite leagues get similar treatment. Play a few minutes per game or just sit in the top league, get sent down to tier 2 for a game or two, then back up to the elite league to ride the bench, then down to the junior league for a couple games, and around and around it goes. 

Not a big deal for a few weeks/months, or even a whole rookie season (on the elite league roster). Different story if it’s continuing for two or three straight years (see: Lukas Jasek’s adventures in the Czech system), but hopefully Pod doesn’t end up getting that kind of treatment.

I think SKA is legitimately trying to develop him the right way, but also balancing their desire to ice a winning lineup in the KHL. In some ways, it’s a positive that they’ve chosen to keep Podkolzin around, even at his young age (which is certainly a rarity in the KHL), versus just demoting him for the season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s fairly common in Europe. I’ve seen prospects in several of the elite leagues get similar treatment. Play a few minutes per game or just sit in the top league, get sent down to tier 2 for a game or two, then back up to the elite league to ride the bench, then down to the junior league for a couple games, and around and around it goes. 

Not a big deal for a few weeks/months, or even a whole rookie season (on the elite league roster). Different story if it’s continuing for two or three straight years (see: Lukas Jasek’s adventures in the Czech system), but hopefully Pod doesn’t end up getting that kind of treatment.

I think SKA is legitimately trying to develop him the right way, but also balancing their desire to ice a winning lineup in the KHL. In some ways, it’s a positive that they’ve chosen to keep Podkolzin around, even at his young age (which is certainly a rarity in the KHL), versus just demoting him for the season.

Agreed, it shows he has attributes that make him worth keeping around the big club which is notorious for its treatment of youngsters 

I see Russia trying hard developing their National future team to really compete with Team Canada and other National Teams. National Teams are all so good now. Russia wants to be on top again in the future years.

I think us Canucks will benefit from Podkolzin developing in Russia right now. I can’t believe he’s not scoring more with the way he plays. 

I cant wait too see him in a Canuck uni.

31 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I think us Canucks will benefit from Podkolzin developing in Russia right now. I can’t believe he’s not scoring more with the way he plays. 

I'd like to agree with you but I'd rather see him either stay on the VHL team and get plenty of icetime or stick with the KHL squad and learn from the pros up there. I can't see getting yanked between three different leagues day-to-day is good for his development.

3 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I see Russia trying hard developing their National future team to really compete with Team Canada and other National Teams. National Teams are all so good now. Russia wants to be on top again in the future years.

Helps that about 12 KHL clubs have changed to the smaller ice surface this season.. more to follow suit next season.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Helps that about 12 KHL clubs have changed to the smaller ice surface this season..

More than that.

Large European size: Salavat Yulaev, Traktor, Kunlun, Torpedo, Dinamo Riga, Lokomotiv, Yokerit.

Finnish size: Avtomobilist, Avangard, AK Bars, Metallurg, Neftechimik, Sibir, Vityaz, CSKA, Severstal, Spartak, Dinamo Minsk - 11 teams.

NHL size: SKA, Admiral, Amur, Barys, Dynamo Moscow, Sochi - 6 teams.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Is mhl rhe junior league the russian version of AHL?

On 9/26/2019 at 11:08 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

An interesting/flexible way to maintain game action, all the while keeping him in the KHL lineup.