The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

7 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I disagree, not at this stage anyway. The way the league is built now, it seems to me that you draft well, keep a constant influx of talent coming through the system, and “one” year your talent and depth overpowers your opponent. 

You can build the greatest team ever, but at the end of the day....one fluke injury (malhotra at the end of a season), or a terrible unprecedented call (rome) can make or break a season, let alone playoffs. 

Better to get more shots in the gun instead of going right for a head shot is what im saying. 

That's the mythology alright, I'll give you that.  The reality, however, looks a lot different than that and, year after year, the playoffs prove that point.

You build a good solid core through draft (check) and you support that core by adding veteran players who provide support and leadership.  You don't win the Cup by missing the playoffs year after year until you're unable to keep that core group of drafted guys together and you have to start over.

The point is to win

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, it was a hockey trade, not a cap dump.

Didn't say it was. But we helped them with their cap issues. A first was too much fior this guy. Terrible trade.

Edited by babalu
  • Wat 1

9 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

You sound like Eeyore.

Podkolzin was an absolute snag at 10th. Look what he did to kids his age... Just wait until this kid becomes a man, his tenacity is incredible. I've never seen a player like him before, and when you can say that in a positive way, you know you have something special. There is no comparable for the way he plays, he is unique. a lion on the ice. His highlights are just so exciting to watch, if he was doing this in the OHL, he would have been a top 3 pick.

While he possibly missed at 5 and 6 with Juolevi and Virtanen, they aren't bad picks. Jim hasn't really drafted a bust big, and definitely has more gems than bad picks. You say Virt, I say Boeser. You say Juolevii, I say Gaudette. He also drafted Demko.

You just compared Eriksson and Miller, which further proves you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to NHL players, or prospects.

Easy there. You watched one video from scrouch, couch, scrote, whatever....and picked up “buzz words”. I never said i didnt see the motive or the reasoning. 

I said its scary taking a russian in the first round, that may or may not play in north america let alone vancouver, and that giving up a first round pick in a deep draft for “possibly” another player,  that cant adapt to the canucks system is worrisome. 

Just now, babalu said:

Didn't say it was. But we helped then with their cap issues. A first was too much fior this guy. Terrible trade.

Would you have been ok trading this years 2nd, 3rd, and a better prospect?

• Upvote 1

Did people forget he was a mid first round pick as well? 50 point versatile 2 way forward that could play wing/center that goes to the dirty areas.

He's developed and going into his prime right now with a reasonable cap.

I see this as we paid a 3rd to speed up the process which is totally worth it. Plus not all mid first round pick could end up being a 50 point player.

I see this as a win unless the first round pick ends up winning the lottery.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Doesn’t feel like Benning is done. Still hasn’t traded anyone on the team. 

Feels like may still be things coming. 

Hope there is. Would like to see a d come in before ufas. 

Just hope he doesn’t trade Jake to get it done. 

you're right, we have a surplus of forwards right now, that T.J Barrie deal could still happen and Avs could use some vets on their roster to supplement their big 3 forwards

Sutter and Eriksson would look good on the Avs :emot-parrot:

3 minutes ago, babalu said:

The most I would have given up was a 2nd and 3rd or just walk away.

You're one those Ballard, Raymond, and a 2nd gets you a superstar kind of guys aren't you?

The reason they get a 1st instead of that 2nd is being willing to wait up to two years to actually get it. You don't make a team wait for their return for free.

Edit: It also affords us ample opportunity to replace that 1st if things don't go well.

Edited by Baggins
  • Cheers 2