The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

12 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Tampa gave up two 1st round players and a 2nd round player and a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick for McDonagh and Miller. Basically 3 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders. McDonagh is 30 and Miller is 26. I think people's low valuation on Miller is way off.

No kidding eh.  I was looking at that trade earlier today and thinking the same - and not only that, but Tampa had to re-up Miller in the process (which they did a good job of imo, and therefore are able to recover some value they gave up for him.

Additionally, they didn't get a pick they can use this year, and possibly not even next year - so they've had to defer their return for probably at least a year or two beyond making that pick....

I'm guessing there are a fair number of informed Tampa fans that aren't particularly thrilled with the return, particularly the condition on the pick.

It's part of the price you pay for having an unsustainable wealth of present assets and contending - but you have to think that there are a range of players they probably would have preferred to move instead - Callahan easily but would cost assets to move, Johnson at 5 million is imo a lesser, less versatile asset (and a few years older), Killorn likewise (and 3 years older).

Aside from those guys, it's Kucherov, Stamkos, Palat, and young RFAs (including Point).

I think Benning nailed it.  I would have been 'satisfied' with Killorn at a lesser cost, but I see the point in pursuing the best asset fit and spending a bit more to accomplish that.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, babalu said:

No, just look for a better deal on a top six forward. I guarantee there will be some deals in the next while for top 6 guys that you will wonder how teams got them for such a good deal. Even Subban didn't returm a first.

Thrs 3yrs and 27million reasons why Subban didnt fetch a first. Nashville sells low in order to not retain any salary.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, babalu said:

Not saying we were. I still think we gave up too much. 

Our young core guys are ready to make the push forward for the playoffs.  Those young guys are good players, and deserve to have top players (on good contracts, who are in their primes) supporting them.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, captainhorvat said:

Thrs 3yrs and 27million reasons why Subban didnt fetch a first. Nashville sells low in order to not retain any salary.

Which is what we should be doing. Using our cap space to our advantage. There is no way around this. This is not a good value trade imo.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, babalu said:

Which is what we should be doing. Using our cap space to our advantage. There is no way around this. This is not a good value trade imo.

how owuld weaponizing cap space help Petey Boes and Bo?

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

This is the type of veteran to acquire to grow a team...especially when the majority of the core is under 24 years old. JT Miller is a veteran and he hasn't entered his prime yet...similar to Bo Horvat.

Haven't you heard, this is a young mans league now players are considered entering their prime around 22 yrs old to 28 yrs old depending upon position, forwards are younger.

Miller is the type of player a playoff team wants as a ready made (no development needed) fit up and down the line up in a crunch.

The first in 2021 could be a #1 overall and the team gives it up, with the Canuck luck they could be DFL and end up picking 4th

No other players but Miller available in the entire NHL?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Our young core guys are ready to make the push forward for the playoffs.  Those young guys are good players, and deserve to have top players (on good contracts, who are in their primes) supporting them.  

Not saying they don't. I am all for going for the playoffs this year and adding players to our top 6. I just think we could have done better if we were trading our first.

Just now, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Haven't you heard, this is a young mans league now players are considered entering their prime around 22 yrs old to 28 yrs old depending upon position, forwards are younger.

Miller is the type of player a playoff team wants as a ready made (no development needed) fit up and down the line up in a crunch.

The first in 2021 could be a #1 overall and the team gives it up, with the Canuck luck they could be DFL and end up picking 4th

it's a younf man's league for non playoff teams.  Teams that get into the playoffs and are successful avg 26-28 years of age.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Easy there. You watched one video from scrouch, couch, scrote, whatever....and picked up “buzz words”. I never said i didnt see the motive or the reasoning. 

I said its scary taking a russian in the first round, that may or may not play in north america let alone vancouver, and that giving up a first round pick in a deep draft for “possibly” another player,  that cant adapt to the canucks system is worrisome. 

No, I watched his highlights and read his scouting report... I'll take Bob Mackenzies opinion over yours.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Added Miller now rather than keeping the pick and drafting the next Miller and adding him to the team in 3 to 4 years. Cost was a 3rd round pick. 

Solid deal. Canucks benefit for the next 4 years at least. 

Nice spin. It's like we got him for a 3rd.

6 minutes ago, babalu said:

What cap space? After signing our rfa's thrs not much left. This organization wants to compete for playoffs next season. So we will be spending to the cap for next season. We missed the playoffs by 5wins were not that far off. So the deal makes sense.

3 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

so you like the trade?

• Upvote 1