The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

14 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Myers just isn’t very good... jimbo better not sign him to a stupid contract.

Better than any D on our roster besides Edler.

The more depth we have on the right side, the more likely it is Tanev actually survives an entire season. Maybe we can even add another 1st round pick at the trade deadline this time around.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I see. What NHL player doesn't live in Kelowna in the off season?

Lol. So true. I run into them all over town in the summer. I usually see a guy with tree trunks for legs, look up and then recognize the face. Saw Shane Doan a few years back. Man, what a wide, wide man. Couldn't imagine trying to knock that guy off the puck.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Zaitsev is a better player. I took the information below from hftoronto:

Zaitsev vs. Myers in depth:

2018-2019 Regular Season numbers when compared with the 90 other NHL dmen who played at least 1200 minutes (score and venue adjusted):

Myers:

TOI% QoC: 28.75 (77th highest, 2nd pairing)
Ozone Faceoff%: 57.23 (84th least sheltered)
CF%: 49.60 (49 out of 90)
SF%: 48.57 (60 out of 90)
SCF%: 48.41 (62 out of 90)
HDCF%: 49.31 (52 out of 90)
xGF%: 48.17 (61 out of 90)

Zaitsev:

TOI% QoC: 29.16 (46th highest, high end 2nd pairing)
Ozone Faceoff%: 41.92 (8th least sheltered)
CF%: 50.33 (41 out of 90)
SF%: 47.31 (72 out of 90)
SCF%: 52.45 (27 out of 90)
HDCF%: 54.02 (22 out of 90)
xGF%: 50.10 (47 out of 90)

Last two playoffs numbers out of the 70 dmen with 200+ minutes (score and venue adjusted):

Myers:

QoC: 3rd pairing (Had difficulty adding the numbers up here but Myers was more sheltered in the playoffs)
Ozone starts: 54.67 (50th least sheltered)
CF%: 54.07 (17 out of 70)
SF%: 53.46 (17 out of 70)
SCF%: 52.29 (29 out of 70)
HDCF% 53.47 (29 out of 70)
xGF%: 54.14 (18 out of 70)

Zaitsev:

QoC: 1st pairing (Had difficulty adding the numbers up here but Zaitsev was less sheltered in the playoffs)
Ozone starts: 43.21 (14th least sheltered)
CF%: 50.93 (33 out of 70)
SF%: 50.66 (38 out of 70)
SCF%: 54.56 (11 out of 70)
HDCF% 59.95 (7th out of 70)
xGF% 56.02 (11 out of 70)

Its a bit of an odd comparison in the way that Zaitsev is so much less sheltered than Myers and yet still has the better numbers overall. I know theres an emphasis on points in this league but these two really arnt in the same conversation.

Zaitsev is probably worth around 4-5 million a year (or more if you put emphasis on playoff performance) with these numbers and Myers, also due to his excellent playoff numbers, I think should be earning around 3 million a year. The numbers say Zaitsev is one of the better defensive 4s in the league that can step it up in the playoffs and Myers is a successful 2/3 tweener who is not a liability in the playoffs.

The poll (and some of the responses in this thread) is pretty ludicrous.

Those numbers look pretty good for Zaitsev.  He's clearly, by those numbers, a second pair guy.  He can log tough minutes, but will not add much offense.  Curious what the cost would be?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Are you saying we should hire Dr Recchi so Loui gets diagnosed with a rare unknown injury so we can put him on LITR?:P

Seriously though, D that put up points tend to have a premium perceived value.  Especially ones that are only 26.

Haven't been following the conversation. Just wanted to point out that Tampa wasn't really in a bind which is why the price paid was closer to market value rather than a cap dump value (eg Subban). Vegas on the other hand are currently in a bind and it'll be curious how they get out of it. Colin Miller could be had for cheap IMO, but not for like a 6th round pick. Maybe a prospect that can be in the AHL like a Brisebois.

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Those numbers look pretty good for Zaitsev.  He's clearly, by those numbers, a second pair guy.  He can log tough minutes, but will not add much offense.  Curious what the cost would be?  

I know. I'd offer Tanev and see what they add back. Thing is that Zaitsevs value has increased now that salaries have and are getting stupider by the minute. Zaitsev and Try could possibly make a great pairing if Try comes back. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, rekker said:

I know. I'd offer Tanev and see what they add back. Thing is that Zaitsevs value has increased now that salaries have and are getting stupider by the minute. Zaitsev and Try could possibly make a great pairing if Try comes back. 

Leafs are trying to get cheaper, so likely they would want us to take Zaitsev, while we give them Stecher.  I wouldn't do that.  Stecher is cheaper, and just as good a player.  If we did take Zaitsev, then Tanev would have to be traded, right?  

• Like 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

Didn't realize the Vancouver (Kelowna) connection Myers has. Hopefully that means he takes a more team friendly deal. I'd give him a full NTC on a 5 or 6 year deal at 6 million a season.

Maybe his wife wants to be closer to home and family too?  She's a Kelowna  girl.  There are lots of flights from Vancouver to Kelowna.  I think it's only 40 minutes too.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Zaitsev has 5 years left at 4.5 million per. He is better than Myers and that would be a good contract.

Not sure what the price is but it helps TO needs to move him to pay Marner a schmillion dollars per year.

Maybe send back stecher?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Zaitsev has 5 years left at 4.5 million per. He is better than Myers and that would be a good contract.

Not sure what the price is but it helps TO needs to move him to pay Marner a schmillion dollars per year.

Maybe send back stecher?

I just typed the same thing, so we're on the same page.  Is Zaitsev, for the cap dollars and contract term, an upgrade on Stecher though?  This is really complex when the cap is considered, isn't it?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Maybe send back stecher?

Send Tanev back the other way.

They don't gain any cap space, but they get a much needed D back and they gain more flexibility for the following 4 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Maybe send back stecher?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I just typed the same thing, so we're on the same page.  Is Zaitsev, for the cap dollars and contract term, an upgrade on Stecher though?  This is really complex when the cap is considered, isn't it?

What the...? :wacko:

Stecher is a superior D-man to Zaitsev.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Stecher is still a 3rd pairing but is still improving. Zaitsev is a higher end 2nd pairing that seems to be able to handle first pairing minutes. So I do think he is an upgrade. 

Edler Zaitsev could handle a lot of minutes. We could then  get a cheaper 3rd pairing RHD to replace Stecher (schenn....others).

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Leafs are trying to get cheaper, so likely they would want us to take Zaitsev, while we give them Stecher.  I wouldn't do that.  Stecher is cheaper, and just as good a player.  If we did take Zaitsev, then Tanev would have to be traded, right?  

Definately no to Stetcher for Zaits. Depends what value people put on Tanev. Let's be realistic. He's  an injury proned, one year rental at this point.  Braun fetched a second and a third? Unfortunately Tanev is not worth a lot, or as much as we all would hope. I'd say same as Braun. Zaitsev is worth a second. I may get flamed for that but his contract is good for a right side dman in today's market and is trending better and better by the year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Send Tanev back the other way.

They don't gain any cap space, but they get a much needed D back and they gain more flexibility for the following 4 years.

Tanev only has one year left so we could sweeten the deal by paying some of the cap. I dont know lol....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Stecher is till a 3rd pairing but is still improving. Zaitsev is a higher end 2nd pairing that seems to be able to handle first pairing minutes. So I do think he is an upgrade. 

Edler Zaitsev could handle a lot of minutes. We could then  get a cheaper 3rd pairing RHD to replace Stecher (schenn....others).

Maybe that's why JB was interviewing that guy (bigger tougher bottom pair guy) yesterday?  JB likely has a lot of balls in the air, and one move depends on another kind of thing.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

What the...? :wacko:

Stecher is a superior D-man to Zaitsev.

Zaitsev's numbers look pretty good.  It's his cap and term that could be the problem. Stecher is similar (not nearly as big though) and way cheaper.  It's about the cap dollars I think between the two.  The Leafs would definitely like the cap Stecher brings.  

• Like 1