The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

My max would be 

6.5 over 5 years or 6 over 6 years. Its more than fair. I dont think anybody will give him over 7 million and if they do good riddance. If they offer 7 over 6 years. He's left with decision of come home for a less money or take the money in a market that he might not like. 

I think people are panicking wayyy too much. He will be signed at a reasonable cap hit. 

1 minute ago, KKnight said:

My max would be 

6.5 over 5 years or 6 over 6 years. Its more than fair. I dont think anybody will give him over 7 million and if they do good riddance. If they offer 7 over 6 years. He's left with decision of come home for a less money or take the money in a market that he might not like. 

I think people are panicking wayyy too much. He will be signed at a reasonable cap hit. 

Home? He was born in Houston.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

So did the bolts.  Young D that put up 50+ points at the NHL level more than once will draw a ton of interest if available.

Collin Miller?  

I don't get why we want that guy?

I don't see him as an upgrade over Stecher.  

7 minutes ago, KKnight said:

My max would be 

6.5 is too high 

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

So did the bolts.  Young D that put up 50+ points at the NHL level more than once will draw a ton of interest if available.

The Bolts were relieved of their cap issues when the Callahan news came out. They just have more breathing room now, but they could've easily held off until they got the price they wanted.

6 x 6 is the max JB should do and even that is too much for Myers imo.

Edit: just trade for Zaitsev if that is what Myers would cost. Zaitsev is just as good, younger, and on a cheaper contract for a few years. The next week is gonna be scary lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

6 x 6 is the max JB should do and even that is too much for Myers imo.

Edit: just trade for Zaitsev if that is what Myers would cost. Zaitsev is just as good, younger, and on a cheaper contract for a few years. The next week is gonna be scary lol.

Zaitsev is cheaper for sure, but he's not nearly the player Meyers is.  I don't think we should be taking on cap dumps like Zaitsev.  Stecher is just as good, and costs a lot less. 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Myers played Junior in Kelowna, and married a girl from there.  That's his summer home.  

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lives in Kelowna in the off season. 

I see. What NHL player doesn't live in Kelowna in the off season?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Zaitsev is cheaper for sure, but he's not nearly the player Meyers is.  I don't think we should be taking on cap dumps like Zaitsev.  Stecher is just as good, and costs a lot less. 

Zaitsev is a better player. I took the information below from hftoronto:

Zaitsev vs. Myers in depth:

2018-2019 Regular Season numbers when compared with the 90 other NHL dmen who played at least 1200 minutes (score and venue adjusted):

Myers:

TOI% QoC: 28.75 (77th highest, 2nd pairing)
Ozone Faceoff%: 57.23 (84th least sheltered)
CF%: 49.60 (49 out of 90)
SF%: 48.57 (60 out of 90)
SCF%: 48.41 (62 out of 90)
HDCF%: 49.31 (52 out of 90)
xGF%: 48.17 (61 out of 90)

Zaitsev:

TOI% QoC: 29.16 (46th highest, high end 2nd pairing)
Ozone Faceoff%: 41.92 (8th least sheltered)
CF%: 50.33 (41 out of 90)
SF%: 47.31 (72 out of 90)
SCF%: 52.45 (27 out of 90)
HDCF%: 54.02 (22 out of 90)
xGF%: 50.10 (47 out of 90)

Last two playoffs numbers out of the 70 dmen with 200+ minutes (score and venue adjusted):

Myers:

QoC: 3rd pairing (Had difficulty adding the numbers up here but Myers was more sheltered in the playoffs)
Ozone starts: 54.67 (50th least sheltered)
CF%: 54.07 (17 out of 70)
SF%: 53.46 (17 out of 70)
SCF%: 52.29 (29 out of 70)
HDCF% 53.47 (29 out of 70)
xGF%: 54.14 (18 out of 70)

Zaitsev:

QoC: 1st pairing (Had difficulty adding the numbers up here but Zaitsev was less sheltered in the playoffs)
Ozone starts: 43.21 (14th least sheltered)
CF%: 50.93 (33 out of 70)
SF%: 50.66 (38 out of 70)
SCF%: 54.56 (11 out of 70)
HDCF% 59.95 (7th out of 70)
xGF% 56.02 (11 out of 70)

Its a bit of an odd comparison in the way that Zaitsev is so much less sheltered than Myers and yet still has the better numbers overall. I know theres an emphasis on points in this league but these two really arnt in the same conversation.

Zaitsev is probably worth around 4-5 million a year (or more if you put emphasis on playoff performance) with these numbers and Myers, also due to his excellent playoff numbers, I think should be earning around 3 million a year. The numbers say Zaitsev is one of the better defensive 4s in the league that can step it up in the playoffs and Myers is a successful 2/3 tweener who is not a liability in the playoffs.

The poll (and some of the responses in this thread) is pretty ludicrous.

Personally I am not big on fancy stats but by all accounts Zaitsev plays against tougher competition regularly and is a better player using the eye test as well as fancy stats.

We should just trade for Zaitsev instead of giving myers some stupidly large contract.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The Bolts were relieved of their cap issues when the Callahan news came out. They just have more breathing room now, but they could've easily held off until they got the price they wanted.

Are you saying we should hire Dr Recchi so Loui gets diagnosed with a rare unknown injury so we can put him on LITR?:P

Seriously though, D that put up points tend to have a premium perceived value.  Especially ones that are only 26.

• Haha 1