The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

15 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Boeser believes what he is asking for is "fair".  After all the grief Benning has taken over some of his signings (not unfairly) and knowing the local market Benning is likely being very careful how this ends up - money and term.  It will set the table for the young RFA's on the way like Hughes and Petey etc and let him know how much cap he has over the short term until the new US TV deal.  It is a fairly important one to get right. Hopefully it gets done and they can focus on the upcoming season they have invested in a lot.  I think both sides want a longer term and that is what's taking so long .

I get that an agent's job is to get the max for their client, but that approach takes away from what is so great about hockey..........the team.  Boes' agent might be giving him good advice for the benefit of Brock, but it's certainly not taking his team and teammates into account and for that I lose respect for BB and other young, RFA players who hold out the way they have this summer.  To me, this RFA situation this summer feels very close to collusion. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

I get that an agent's job is to get the max for their client, but that approach takes away from what is so great about hockey..........the team.  Boes' agent might be giving him good advice for the benefit of Brock, but it's certainly not taking his team and teammates into account and for that I lose respect for BB and other young, RFA players who hold out the way they have this summer.  To me, this RFA situation this summer feels very close to collusion. 

I get that an Gm's job is to sign players for as little as possible, but that approach takes away from what is so great about hockey.... the team. Gm's might be giving the owner good advice about saving money, but it's certainly not taking his team and teammates into account and for that I lose respect for the Gm and other young,  Gm's  for  the way they have not signed RFA's this summer.  To me, this RFA situation this summer feels very close to collusion. 

s/

Edited by gurn
added the /s
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

I get that an Gm's job is to sign players for as little as possible, but that approach takes away from what is so great about hockey.... the team. Gm's might be giving the owner good advice about saving money, but it's certainly not taking his team and teammates into account and for that I lose respect for the Gm and other young,  Gm's  for  the way they have not signed RFA's this summer.  To me, this RFA situation this summer feels very close to collusion. 

I have no doubt it is at least at minimum a common understanding among these agents that the first to go sets the table. I also have no doubt at least some of them have spoken directly and will have included numbers.  They want their percentage and the more the merrier.

18 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I have no doubt it is at least at minimum a common understanding among these agents that the first to go sets the table. I also have no doubt at least some of them have spoken directly and will have included numbers.  They want their percentage and the more the merrier.

It is what it is, blaming anyone for playing by the rules of  the cba is kind of silly.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

The agents don't care about anything beyond the highest dollar....it's more for them.

So if there's anything/one to blame here, it's greedy agents who want to piggy back on these guys ...their best interest isn't focused on anything related to "team", it's on "self".

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The agents don't care about anything beyond the highest dollar....it's more for them.

So if there's anything/one to blame here, it's greedy agents who want to piggy back on these guys ...their best interest isn't focused on anything related to "team", it's on "self".

It's contract negotiations. Agents work for their employers, GMs for theirs. If either wasn't being greedy, they aren't doing their jobs. Don't know why people are bringing emotion into this. People never ask their employers for a raise? Bid on a job? It's the same thing.

Nobody is even "holding out", it's not even training camp yet. Plus, given the precedent for contracts handed out, nobody's demands are even all that otherworldly. Boeser's is pretty close to value. Slightly high because of course they are going to come in high and the GM will come in low (6ish million) and they'll figure it out from there.

It's hilarious reading this ridiculousness about losing respect and stuff. These aren't suckers and they aren't going to get bent over for our sake, nor should we expect them to. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I wonder how Ted Lindsay would feel about that?

At the end of the day no one cares about the "team" other than us.

Everyone wants the same thing. Money.

Otherwise players would play for free and owners would donate every cent of profit.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

It's contract negotiations. Agents work for their employers, GMs for theirs. If either wasn't being greedy, they aren't doing their jobs. Don't know why people are bringing emotion into this. People never ask their employers for a raise? Bid on a job? It's the same thing.

Nobody is even "holding out", it's not even training camp yet. Plus, given the precedent for contracts handed out, nobody's demands are even all that otherworldly. Boeser's is pretty close to value. Slightly high because of course they are going to come in high and the GM will come in low (6ish million) and they'll figure it out from there.

It's hilarious reading this ridiculousness about losing respect and stuff. These aren't suckers and they aren't going to get bent over for our sake, nor should we expect them to. 

My point was mostly that the only interest an agent truly has is in ... $$.  Because some were calling Brock out in relation to not considering "team" in all of this.  He isn't even involved - he has a guy hired to take care of this end for him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I wonder how Ted Lindsay would feel about that?

At the end of the day no one cares about the "team" other than us.

Everyone wants the same thing. Money.

Otherwise players would play for free and owners would donate every cent of profit.

Call me crazy, but I believe players play for the love of it and the fact that they get paid the big bucks is just their dreams being realized.   Most have (and still do, at times when called upon) play for free.   

I don't think boys who set out with the aspiration to make it to the NHL do so only thinking of $$ ... they grow up loving and playing the game and want to reach the highest level.  Money is the icing on the cake but I think it's passion and competitiveness as the driving force in hockey players (athletes in general).  They likely would play for free if it was the only option.

As for Ted Lindsay:   unions/groups formed to protect the exploitation of workers are getting swallowed up in something much different.  While I don't begrudge any player who signs for the most they can, it can ultimately come at the expense of other things in a big picture way.  Where does it end?  Someone's always going to want to be paid the most/highest.

This is not aimed at Brock or the engagement of players and agents in negotiating "fair" contracts based on market value.  It's about finding the "fair" in it all.

27 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

What’s really funny is the negotiations are all probably within one million either way on each possible contract....when we have guys like LE, Schaller, Sutter etc in our lineup that have never earned their contracts.   Others in the past too.   That’s probably in the 15%  of the overall value of the contract ... when some guys are earning half of theirs and many not the entire thing.   Would Goldobins value be much different then LEs in the top six?  Or McEwens on the fourth line compared to Schaller?  

And yet we have nothing like Boeser in the team, nobody should really be getting upset at all - rather shout out in joy that we could sign this guy from 6.5-7.5  - at 4-8 years .... been vocal at the start to give him the Tarasenko deal (7.5 x 8 - full NMC once he’s a free agent - high the first two years, then fair or even team friendly for a bit then team friendly the duration when it will really matter).  

Wheres the salary coming from?  Trade a guy - we have too many anyways - or put an  extra guy in the minors.   Also IF he’s unsigned at camp and comes anyways - Linden did this once (my brother reminded me of this) it’s not a big deal, and if anything we should get excited because it likely means he’s going to sign the day after Roussel is put on the Long term list - and it’s going to be long term.   If it’s a bridge - so be it, the timing is good in three years anyways.   As far as Hughes and EP goes let’s hope EP is a top five center and commands a monster deal then too - good problem to have - same with Hughes although for the most part defenseman don’t get the same money anyways - except for Subban he bet on himself and chased in. 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

But don't hold it against Brock.....he's a young guy going through stuff and has handed this off to his agent.  That's his job, to go to bat for his client.  So he's (Brock is) out of it, until a time comes that he may intervene if he feels things aren't going as he'd like.  Right now it's too early for that.

His isn't the same as others....he's extremely busy with a sick parent who he visits daily miles away.  His plate is full.  He's not just out there, sitting back, waiting to collect the big bucks.  He's preoccupied...and the timing of that is probably not in our favour, but is in his as he can focus on the real priority in life - family.  

I don't argue much of what you say....it's the fact that, somehow, you're shining a negative light on Brock through this.  He's holding out but he's also holding on to something at the moment...something money can't buy.   And I don't blame him for not being involved in the process, as he focuses on more important stuff.  The rest'll get figured out, one way or another.

And I will remain a huge fan of his and how he handles this life no matter what that ends up looking like in the end.  Give him a break?

I understand that it's his agent job, but that agent is an employee of Brock Boeser, and he answers to Boes.  I'm using BB as an example because he plays for Van, but all the RFA's are putting individual before team and it makes me like and respect them a little less every time they do it.  It's supposed to be about the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Edited by stawns

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What’s really funny is the negotiations are all probably within one million either way on each possible contract....when we have guys like LE, Schaller, Sutter etc in our lineup that have never earned their contracts.   Others in the past too.   That’s probably in the 15%  of the overall value of the contract ... when some guys are earning half of theirs and many not the entire thing.   Would Goldobins value be much different then LEs in the top six?  Or McEwens on the fourth line compared to Schaller?  

And yet we have nothing like Boeser in the team, nobody should really be getting upset at all - rather shout out in joy that we could sign this guy from 6.5-7.5  - at 4-8 years .... been vocal at the start to give him the Tarasenko deal (7.5 x 8 - full NMC once he’s a free agent - high the first two years, then fair or even team friendly for a bit then team friendly the duration when it will really matter).  

Wheres the salary coming from?  Trade a guy - we have too many anyways - or put an  extra guy in the minors.   Also IF he’s unsigned at camp and comes anyways - Linden did this once (my brother reminded me of this) it’s not a big deal, and if anything we should get excited because it likely means he’s going to sign the day after Roussel is put on the Long term list - and it’s going to be long term.   If it’s a bridge - so be it, the timing is good in three years anyways.   As far as Hughes and EP goes let’s hope EP is a top five center and commands a monster deal then too - good problem to have - same with Hughes although for the most part defenseman don’t get the same money anyways - except for Subban he bet on himself and chased in. 

All those veterans and earned their contracts, and every one of them is fair market value as they all held 100% of the bargaining leverage.  

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

All those veterans and earned their contracts, and every one of them is fair market value as they all held 100% of the bargaining leverage.  

Don’t disagree - it’s the way things are and they also earned those contracts.   The point is why get upset or in a tissy over what likely will be 1 million either way (between team friendly and fair - or not fair etc).  Especially when there are plenty examples on every team of guys not earning their pay cheque’s. 

I’ll be a little disappointed in Brock if he misses training camp, let alone any of the season.

These kids need to be on the same page if we’re going to take the next step. 

FWIW I think a deal gets done before it comes to that, though.  

4 years at 6.25 mil would be my guess. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Hope Brock is at camp.

From what I've heard, he does too.  He really wants to get a full season in and understands that not being at camp puts you a little behind the others.  Health wise, he's missed some time in the past and it's important to be game ready.

• Like 1