The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Omg 2019 in Canada is so Annoying...

No more rodeos now.

What's next will I get in trouble if I accidentally step on a ant?

Just check out those videos of researching pouring molten metal into an ant colony for research and stuff.

The dislikes and negative comments.... some people are acting as if people are being tortured or something.  

45 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

Hahahaha, the only thing evolving in the human race is weakness. Our species is becoming weaker and less independent. At some point we will become so useless that we will literally starve to death because nobody will be able to do the work. More people will rely on social welfare and the economy will collapse. Global warming, artificial intelligence, a meteor, has nothing on the growing laziness and entitlement of the human race. Shut the rodeo down cause the animals suffer is just so embarrassing. 

If you look into history, this has already happened in Russia many years ago when they adopted the same Marxist BS that western society is buying into now. It resulted in millions of deaths. That’s the path we’re heading down.

Edited by mayor MCcheese
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Watching animals suffer for entertainment is really not  in the same category in my opinion......

I spent too many years on the farm King.  Rodeo animals, especially the horses, are treated like royalty.  They are bred for that purpose, and their owners think of them as family.  That’s what those horses were bred to do.  It would be cruel to keep them from racing.  It’s a very close and special bond between a man and his horse.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Watching animals suffer for entertainment is really not  in the same category in my opinion......

People need to stop projecting human emotions onto everything.

Some animals have jobs and are happy doing those jobs. Others job is to become protein sustenance for other animals. Real life stuff, it's not always neatly packaged.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CowBoyCoyote said:

well its 40 below and I dont give a !@$% im off to the rodeo...........................

Allemande  left, and allemande right,

come on you dirty **$&* ............

Heard that playing on AM radio back in Cow town in the 80’s.  No bleeping out words either!  Too funny!  

34 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

People need to stop projecting human emotions onto everything.

Some animals have jobs and are happy doing those jobs. 

Thats ridiculous.   Abusing bulls  and steers  has nothing to do with those animals jobs.....

I am amazed at the lack of logic in how some people think.  I guess they need to justify their lack of compassion for the other animals. 

I can't stand to see people hit their pets  / yank on their leashes .     Rodeo's are out of touch with our modern conception on how animals should be treated / respected. 

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Can you stop eating meat?

I did, well I stopped eating the moderately smart and cute animals. I still eat fish and chicken, but not often at all. 

I stopped eating cow and pig due to the hypocrisy of eating something that is as smart as my dog. I don't miss it at all and I might be in the best shape of my life. 

I wonder how many people 'rescue' a dog or weep at a Sarah Mclachlan animal adoption commercial....

Meanwhile, many may think those Koreans that breed dogs for food are disgusting, as they wipe the bacon grease off their hypocritical chins.

I say we replace the rodeo animals with death row convicts, then you might get me watching. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Because some people aren’t you. People are different and *shocker* that doesn’t mean what they do and/or enjoy are “wrong”, especially when it’s not against any law.

Of course abusing animals is morally wrong.....   so why would people support Rodeo's ?

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

here comes one ball johnny  with his pecker in his hand  , oh    the humanity stop the  stampede  , what a bunch of bs , the same people that want to stop it  sure don't mind wearing leather shoes , leather belts, having nice leather seats in their cars  and of course a leather purses  , the animals have been bred to compete  and that's what they are doing competing ,  just like horse racing , steeplechase and show jumping  might as well shut it all down ,  along with auto racing  ufc ,hockey football lacrosse boxing 

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Omg 2019 in Canada is so Annoying...

No more rodeos now.

What's next will I get in trouble if I accidentally step on a ant?

Hey I am 100% completely against the disgusting liberal turn this country (and the world as a whole) has taken but this is completely different. 

You're can't compare the ethical treatment/well being of animals to some of the things that sub human filth JT has implemented (as an example).

This is coming from someone who is an old school conservative, who only believes in TWO genders and isn't triggered by every single thing.

Would you willingly treat your cat or dog the same way these bulls, calves and horses get treated at the rodeo? Going to assume that is a no.

AND before someone calls me hypocritical, NO I DON'T eat meat. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Cheers 3

Just now, the grinder said:

here comes one ball johnny  with his pecker in his hand  , oh    the humanity stop the  stampede  , what a bunch of bs , the same people that want to stop it  sure don't mind wearing leather shoes , leather belts, having nice leather seats in their cars  and of course a leather purses  , the animals have been bred to compete  and that's what they are doing competing ,  just like horse racing , steeplechase and show jumping  might as well shut it all down ,  along with auto racing  ufc ,hockey football lacrosse boxing 

Compete? Wear is there competition in riding a wild bull or horse? Or running down and lacing up a calve? 

I am a HUGE fan of the UFC, but comparing the 2 is BEYOND ridiculous and laughable. I don't even understand how anyone could compare a rodeo forcing animals into these roles to willing humans who sign contracts and are paid to fight? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

Hahahaha, the only thing evolving in the human race is weakness. Our species is becoming weaker and less independent. At some point we will become so useless that we will literally starve to death because nobody will be able to do the work. More people will rely on social welfare and the economy will collapse. Global warming, artificial intelligence, a meteor, has nothing on the growing laziness and entitlement of the human race. Shut the rodeo down cause the animals suffer is just so embarrassing. 

The fact that you see any correlation between society becoming lazy, entitled and weak (which I happen to agree is becoming true) with the abuse/mistreatment of unwilling animals is beyond comprehensible. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, the grinder said:

the animals have been bred to compete  and that's what they are doing competing ,  just like horse racing , steeplechase and show jumping  might as well shut it all down ,  along with auto racing  ufc ,hockey football lacrosse boxing 

what!?!?!

there's animal UFC?

I'm a big fan...I want to see bear vs tiger first!

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Admittedly I can't personally substantiate this, but I've heard from a number of sources including a close personal friend of mine rather high up with a oil/gas company that the actual 'rodeo' part of the stampede hasn't made money in a long,  long time.  That's why they have things like rides, games ,  carnival,  concerts, ect...to make up for the 'rodeo' not making money.  The city/province and hundreds of private companies subsidise the entire event heavily.   My friends company alone puts in over six figures every year. So while the entity of the stampede might generate economic benefits let's not kid ourselves about how much money the rodeo part itself is generating. 

Yeah that’s actually not true. The rodeo charges it’s own access at around $75-120 per ticket to watch. That’s on top of the $18 to get into the grounds. The rodeo itself brings in just shy of $50 million revenue per year once you include ticket sales, tv advertisement, and in ground sponsors. 

Also the carnival isn’t a Calgary carnival its a traveling one and heads up to Edmonton 5 days after the stampede. There’s a reason why everyone’s heard of the the stampede and no one outside of Alberta has heard of K-Days. K-days is the Stampeded without the rodeo and It brings in half a million less people. So yes the rodeo does have an economic benefit.