The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, caring how animals are treated is such a crappy thing. 

There is a difference between caring about animals and just being stupid. A dog needs to be trained therefore when they do something bad you tell them they are bad. I am not saying hit your animals that's a whole different thing from punishing them

Edited by VanNucks1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, VanNucks1 said:

There is a difference between caring about animals and just being stupid. A dog needs to be trained therefore when they do something bad you tell them they are bad. I am not saying hit your animals that's a whole different thing from punishing

Oh really.... so you talk to your animals .....   thats awesome.   Do you speak dog or does your dog speak english...

I would recommend you add a treat to reinforce when you are using key words.....

Edited by kingofsurrey

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Oh really.... so you talk to your animals .....   thats awesome.   Do you speak dog or does your dog speak english…

Dogs Can understand tone. You can tell a dog its a bad boy really excitedly and dog the dog is going think it did nothing wrong if you do it in a deeper tone its going to under stand, it needs to know youre the alpha 

• Upvote 3

Just now, VanNucks1 said:

Dogs Can understand tone. You can tell a dog its a bad boy really excitedly and dog the dog is going think it did nothing wrong if you do it in a deeper tone its going to under stand, it needs to know youre the alpha 

Oh i agree 100 %.  but best to add a treat for reinforcement of the good behaviours....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Oh really.... so you talk to your animals .....   thats awesome.   Do you speak dog or does your dog speak english...

I would recommend you add a treat to reinforce when you are using key words.....

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Oh i agree 100 %.  but best to add a treat for reinforcement of the good behaviours....

Lol 3 minutes apart..

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

55 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought the question marks at the end of my sentences might have implied I didn't know how the strap motivation works. 

Flank strap soft rope. Check.

Thanks for the education. You fulfilled your request of me.

They get treated like athletes....? well I just read that it's against the rules to cut the bull or horse with your spurs. They are meant for holding on to the angry animal. That's is a  legit good rule.

I had someone explain it to me once a while back, theres actually a lot of rules to the animals to keep them as comfortable and happy as possible.  These animals are worth a ton and are treated top notch because they can't afford any of them not being able to perform their bucking, etc. so lots of care goes into them.  I was never hugely into the rodeo thing but went once because of free tickets and learned a lot from someone who really knew what was going on with them.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Meanwhile probably like 5000 people have been murdered in Surrey in that time. I would think human lives in your community should be more of a priority

Federal government really should take over running surrey.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Of course , super easy now days....

Luckily as humans evolve ....  we won't support watching animals hurt for our entertainment though......

GUEST_f8e295a4-77db-4ea2-912d-ec34f759b5

12 hours ago, gurn said:

You 'all  might want to look up the ingredient list before switching on a regular basis.

image.png.d6f5b00542e3de80ed4f182edfd73a1d.png

Edited by I.Am.Ironman
Ingrediemts aren't all that bad
  • Cheers 1

soyboys always try to impose their lifestyle onto others. 

Alberta is already being suffocated economically by the save the world crowd. now the save the animal crowd wants to shut down a cultural icon of Calgary and a huge economic booster at a time of a depressed (thanks largely to the same crew) economy. 

im sure alberta will be all over it.   Lead the way urban dwelling soyboys of BC and elsewhere. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great to read that you don't support the exploitation of animals. Great decision.

Next time try to read the thread.  The title can give you a club.

It is about the rodeo evolving.......    Can you grasp what that could possibly entail.

LOL.  

I know that the internet is full of this kind of discourse, but this won't help you convince anyone of anything.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought the question marks at the end of my sentences might have implied I didn't know how the strap motivation works. 

Flank strap soft rope. Check.

Thanks for the education. You fulfilled your request of me.

They get treated like athletes....? well I just read that it's against the rules to cut the bull or horse with your spurs. They are meant for holding on to the angry animal. That's is a  legit good rule.

The score given is based on the performance of the cowboy, and the bull/horse.  These bulls and horses are bred to be dynamic.  They are treated extremely well.  Their owners are proud of them, and care for them like family.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Actually studies have shown that showing extra affection to a dog excites them just as much as receiving a treat so treats aren't necessarily a given for training anymore.

https://thebark.com/content/study-dogs-preferences-praise-versus-treats

And treat training can turn out badly if the trainer doesn't know how to do it properly. 

https://www.growlsnarlsnap.com/single-post/2016/08/28/TREAT-TRAINING-AND-OTHER-MISCONCEPTIONS-ABOUT-POSITIVE-REINFORCEMENT

You don't need treats to train your dog, any reward works.

Edited by RowdyCanuck
A word
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The score given is based on the performance of the cowboy, and the bull/horse.  These bulls and horses are bred to be dynamic.  They are treated extremely well.  Their owners are proud of them, and care for them like family.  

Yah, i am sure calfs love being repeatedly roped / tackled and twisted.....  Do you think it could be a bit stressful for them ?    but are they well kept as well.  So then its OK right ?

Just now, Boeserker said:

It's not just calfs. I dated this girl once, from Surrey....oh never mind.

Whatever.  Why do you read a thread on the stampede evolving if you have no interest in the topic.

Very weird.    

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

$$$$$$$$ is a powerful motivator

43 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Flank  straps should be banned...  stressful for the bull. 

Human Entertainment is important but not at the expense of animal welfare....

The subject of flank straps has been addressed multiple times. At this point I'm seriously wondering if you're just a troll.

As I stated like, TWO DAMN PAGES AGO, a flank strap is just something used to encourage the bull or bronc to buck. It is not tied tightly nor does it come in to contact with their genitals. It's similar to how if you wore a pair of pants that were slightly to tight, you find them irritating and want them off right away but they wouldn't actually injure you or otherwise affect your daily life.

As stated previously, animal welfare is taken very seriously in the rodeo industry. If you really want to discuss eschewing animal welfare in favour of human enjoyment, maybe you should look at what dog breeders have been doing to pugs and numerous other small dog breeds.

Stop being do hard headed and educate yourself, @kingofsurrey. If you would actually take the time to learn instead of just going off of what the media spoon feeds urban residents, you would realize that most of these "exploitations" are false.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, sam13371337 said:

soyboys always try to impose their lifestyle onto others. 

Alberta is already being suffocated economically by the save the world crowd. now the save the animal crowd wants to shut down a cultural icon of Calgary and a huge economic booster at a time of a depressed (thanks largely to the same crew) economy. 

im sure alberta will be all over it.   Lead the way urban dwelling soyboys of BC and elsewhere. 

If money is all you see in life, you're missing a whole lot of other, important stuff.

The name calling, in itself, says much more about you than it does the people who make choices that differ from yours.  It's called stereotyping...and it's weak.  It's juvenile and has really grated on the nerves as someone who tries to see both sides.  

Try to present a well thought out argument without the grade 7 bully stuff.  People are much more likely to listen.

"Save the world" is kind of important, yet you slough it off like it's something dismissive.   Try to think outside the box.

The world evolves over time and, thank God, there are empathetic, compassionate people driving that as the neanderthals (dark den men?) stay stuck in their caves (see, two can play at that game, although I'd rather not).

• Upvote 1