The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, mll said:

Awesome to see Boeser paired with Hovart. I know the general opinion is to pair Boeser & Pettersson together. Having both on the same line makes it easier to shut down Vancouver offense. IMO having them on separate lines makes the team a lot more dangerous. Am of the school of thought of rolling 4 (2- way) lines with mobile D pairings that can act as the 4th forward. A line up that allows us to do that is:

Miller - Hovart - Boeser

(Miller is a play-making winger that can drive the net to complement Boeser's outside shots. Horvat, like him as a player, he is just not  a great play-maker at this stage of his career to make players around him better. He needs a skilled gritty play-making winger and a skilled shooter)

Ferland - Pettersson - Goldobin

(Goldobin has the skill set to complement Pettersson best as the current roster is constructed. Goldy is most engaged and a different player when aligned with Pettersson. Ferland provides that blue collar workman skill that complements Goldys lack there of. He still is the 2nd most skilled forward on the team not named Pettersson.

Baertschi - Sutter - Pearson

(Baertschi is so underrated. He slots in perfectly on most teams third line as a play-making 2 way winger. Sutter similarly is still valuable to the team. Ideal situation would be to move him to the wing thus limiting his ability to carry play as his not an effective play-making center. Most would suggest Gaudette. Truth is at this point in his career, he is just not ready and also not equally a good play-maker at this point in his career. Needs to play in Utica. Pearson playing his off wing allows him to use his underrated shot as a Left shot playing RW. Match the line primarily with an Edler - Myers D paring. Myer as the 4th forward almost playing the role of a skilled big 3rd line center-man. During training camp & preseason thus far Myer & Sutter have connected on a few tap in goals)

Virtanen - Beagle - Levio

(Virtanen on his off wing as a Left winger thus using his speed to drive the net. Motte as the 13th forward that slots in when required. Eriksson, unfortunately on waivers or traded eventually)

Edler - Myers

(A D paring with long wing span. Eder as the stay at home option limiting his puck possession and Myers as the 4th forward)

Hughes (4th forward) - Tanev (stay home option)

(Hughes & Myers paring unfortunately just doesn't work as both are offensively minded with no one to cover as both want to be in the play. After KHL season ends, Tryamkin can slot in with Hughes)

Benn(stay home option) - Stecher(4th forward)

Bulldog

if we start with 14 forwards & 7 dmen, then Eriksson stays up until Anton is off IR. We can afford to carry 7D with the depth that we have in Ultica.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, gameburn said:

yikes. At least we'll see him then.  Before the pre-season is over presumably?

Doubtful.

I was fully expecting him to be battling Bulldog for that 7th spot. 

Then Rafferty showed up.

Perhaps we'll see him in one of the early October games. He's skating, which is good (obviously) but apparently not quite there as far as game action goes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nuckfanfromafrica said:

Awesome to see Boeser paired with Hovart. I know the general opinion is to pair Boeser & Pettersson together. Having both on the same line makes it easier to shut down Vancouver offense. IMO having them on separate lines makes the team a lot more dangerous. Am of the school of thought of rolling 4 (2- way) lines with mobile D pairings that can act as the 4th forward. A line up that allows us to do that is:

Miller - Hovart - Boeser

(Miller is a play-making winger that can drive the net to complement Boeser's outside shots. Horvat, like him as a player, he is just not  a great play-maker at this stage of his career to make players around him better. He needs a skilled gritty play-making winger and a skilled shooter)

Ferland - Pettersson - Goldobin

(Goldobin has the skill set to complement Pettersson best as the current roster is constructed. Goldy is most engaged and a different player when aligned with Pettersson. Ferland provides that blue collar workman skill that complements Goldys lack there of. He still is the 2nd most skilled forward on the team not named Pettersson.

Baertschi - Sutter - Pearson

(Baertschi is so underrated. He slots in perfectly on most teams third line as a play-making 2 way winger. Sutter similarly is still valuable to the team. Ideal situation would be to move him to the wing thus limiting his ability to carry play as his not an effective play-making center. Most would suggest Gaudette. Truth is at this point in his career, he is just not ready and also not equally a good play-maker at this point in his career. Needs to play in Utica. Pearson playing his off wing allows him to use his underrated shot as a Left shot playing RW. Match the line primarily with an Edler - Myers D paring. Myer as the 4th forward almost playing the role of a skilled big 3rd line center-man. During training camp & preseason thus far Myer & Sutter have connected on a few tap in goals)

Virtanen - Beagle - Levio

(Virtanen on his off wing as a Left winger thus using his speed to drive the net. Motte as the 13th forward that slots in when required. Eriksson, unfortunately on waivers or traded eventually)

Edler - Myers

(A D paring with long wing span. Eder as the stay at home option limiting his puck possession and Myers as the 4th forward)

Hughes (4th forward) - Tanev (stay home option)

(Hughes & Myers paring unfortunately just doesn't work as both are offensively minded with no one to cover as both want to be in the play. After KHL season ends, Tryamkin can slot in with Hughes)

Benn(stay home option) - Stecher(4th forward)

Bulldog

if we start with 14 forwards & 7 dmen, then Eriksson stays up until Anton is off IR. We can afford to carry 7D with the depth that we have in Ultica.

Boeser is playing with EP. Management has already confirmed it.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Lionized27 said:

Doubtful.

I was fully expecting him to be battling Bulldog for that 7th spot. 

Then Rafferty showed up.

Perhaps we'll see him in one of the early October games. He's skating, which is good (obviously) but apparently not quite there as far as game action goes.

Neither are competing with Biega for a spare D slot. They both need to PLAY, not sit in the press box.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

If you can get a 3rd for Goldy, do it immediately. 

Idk what the cap implications will be when Roussel gets back, but I'd rather not trade Baertschi if we can make it work. Waive Eriksson, Motte, Goldy, Schaller if you have too but I'd rather keep Sven if hes healthy and playing well. 

Well, yes?

But we don't have to do any thing from a cap standpoint. We are currently $1.823 Mill over cap.  With 26 players including Roussel & with Boeser's cap hit.

image.png.597ecc08dc3e1ee65884b197f2a5169a.png

We can only carry 23 players.  $1.823 / 3 = $604,000 per 3 players cut, demoted, waived, on IR, anything... When we trim those three players from our roster, even when Roussel is back? We are under the limit.

Its a neutral position.  We only have to consider cap in making trades, as Benning is rumoured to be in the market...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Well, yes?

But we don't have to do any thing from a cap standpoint. We are currently $1.823 Mill over cap.  With 26 players including Roussel & with Boeser's cap hit.

image.png.597ecc08dc3e1ee65884b197f2a5169a.png

We can only carry 23 players.  $1.823 / 3 = $604,000 per 3 players cut, demoted, waived, on IR, anything... When we trim those three players from our roster, even when Roussel is back? We are under the limit.

Its a neutral position.  We only have to consider cap in making trades, as Benning is rumoured to be in the market...

Part of it is cap I suppose, but alot of it is also me not being a big Goldy fan. ;) I just don't see it materializing with him.

I know they tried to move him already, if he has some value I'd just look at trying to get something for him. We have a glut of wingers & I don't think you are going to move Eriksson or Schaller. 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Part of it is cap I suppose, but alot of it is also me not being a big Goldy fan. ;) I just don't see it materializing with him.

I know they tried to move him already, if he has some value I'd just look at trying to get something for him. We have a glut of wingers & I don't think you are going to move Eriksson or Schaller. 

Well, yes...  :lol:

ie I don't disagree we should trade Goldobin for a 3rd if we could.  Don't really agree either. I'm neutral. Ask @aGENT ?  We debated that #assetmanagement might have suggested we should trade, say, Brendan Leipsic last pre-season? I fussed when we lost Frank Corrado a few years ago. Originally, I thought it was terrible? Really, we did not have any RHD prospect depth. But I came to realise, like with Motte, that if guys were looking like NHL players? Benning and crew were smart enough to keep them. So I stopped worrying about the guys on the edge of the team.

Benning see's, mid summer position anyway, and he has said as much >>> He wants them to come to camp & see where they are at! If Goldobin looks like an NHL player, Schaller, Eriksson, even Leivo or Baer could find themselves on waivers. The best players will make the team. He also saw fit to give him a contract.  So I suspect he believes he's currently worth a 3rd round draft pick?

Benning lines mid round draft picks up, retreads from other teams, one, all, old, young, no different; see Leipsic, Pouliot, Phillip Holm, Matt Bartkowski, Lindon Vey...

Chucks 'em in a blender & see's who wins a roster spot.

Goldy is no different. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

In my opinion the right place for Eriksson is as the 13th/14th forward. He can slot in when injuries hit and is capable of filling in. 

We don't save anything more significant by sending him to Utica compared to occupying the benchwarmer seat, and I would rather he not be taking any ice time in either city unless needed. 

Who cares what he is paid at this point. 

Edited by VforVirtanen
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

In my opinion the right place for Eriksson is as the 13th/14th forward. He can slot in when injuries hit and is capable of filling in. 

We don't save anything more significant by sending him to Utica compared to occupying the benchwarmer seat, and I would rather he not be taking any ice time in either city unless needed. 

Who cares what he is paid at this point. 

Why not have him sit in the press box in Utica?  I’d rather Bulldog be our extra D and forward.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

ie I don't disagree we should trade Goldobin for a 3rd if we could.  Don't really agree either. I'm neutral. Ask @aGENT ?  We debated that #assetmanagement might have suggested we should trade, say, Brendan Leipsic last pre-season? I fussed when we lost Frank Corrado a few years ago. Originally, I thought it was terrible? Really, we did not have any RHD prospect depth. But I came to realise, like with Motte, that if guys were looking like NHL players? Benning and crew were smart enough to keep them. So I stopped worrying about the guys on the edge of the team.

Benning see's, mid summer position anyway, and he has said as much >>> He wants them to come to camp & see where they are at! If Goldobin looks like an NHL player, Schaller, Eriksson, even Leivo or Baer could find themselves on waivers. The best players will make the team. He also saw fit to give him a contract.  So I suspect he believes he's currently worth a 3rd round draft pick?

Benning lines mid round draft picks up, retreads from other teams, one, all, old, young, no different; see Leipsic, Pouliot, Phillip Holm, Matt Bartkowski, Lindon Vey...

Goldy is no different. 

A third?!??  He has already played more nhl games than third round picks have have the odds of ever playing.

Edited by riffraff

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Goldy is no different. 

Honestly I don't think Goldy is worth a 3rd. That would be a premium return IMO.

I see where your coming from, the blender has started might aswell let it finish. I just don't think Goldy has it to be an consistent NHL player & I don't see him as a fit in the bottom 6. When we are talking about icing the best lineup, he doesn't fit in the top 6. Probably not top 9. (atleast in my opinion, Baer/Jake/Leivo/Pearson all better options)). And his style doesn't fit on the 4th line, that's up to Motte/Schaller/Eriksson/exc. to battle for. Like as a 4th line/13th forward, who's a better option? Goldy vs Motte or Eriksson?

I guess its more me being ready to give up on Goldy than the asset management side. 

I'm in favour of keeping players that could make our team better, but he's a top 6 or bust guy that could be squeezed even out of a depth role once Roussel is back. If we put him on waivers & EDM (or someone) claims him I won't be upset. (Assuming he doesn't catch lightning in a bottle here)

But I'd certainly be looking to gauge interest atleast. Maybe you get another younger-ish player in a similar spot you can take a chance on? I'll be cheering for him to prove me wrong but I don't see it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1