The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speculation - Byfuglien contemplating retirement

Rate this topic

skategal

12 hours ago, Squamfan said:

cap circumvention  at its finest, yet the canucks get punished for a contract 4 years after it was signed

How is an injured player recovering from surgery who is contemplating retiring a cap circumvention?

Pretty damn sure if byfuglien told cheveldayoff his situation the jets management team would have re-signed myers and or trouba with the savings of byfuglien retiring, thus the jets wouldn't be in such a bad position on d men.

This is all on byfuglien, he did the same thing before where he went and ice fished over making milions in the NHL.

LOVE buff but he needs to man up.

Winnepeg terminates byfugliens contract making him ufa for the 19/20 season.

Canucks trade Fantenberg & Stecher to the jets.

Canucks sign byfuglien for the playoff run.

Canucks bring back Tryamkin for playoff run 

Hughes Byfuglien 

Edler Myers

Tryamkin Tanev

Benn 

:ph34r::wub:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

How is an injured player recovering from surgery who is contemplating retiring a cap circumvention?

Pretty damn sure if byfuglien told cheveldayoff his situation the jets management team would have re-signed myers and or trouba with the savings of byfuglien retiring, thus the jets wouldn't be in such a bad position on d men.

This is all on byfuglien, he did the same thing before where he went and ice fished over making milions in the NHL.

LOVE buff but he needs to man up.

Winnepeg terminates byfugliens contract making him ufa for the 19/20 season.

Canucks trade Fantenberg & Stecher to the jets.

Canucks sign byfuglien for the playoff run.

Canucks bring back Tryamkin for playoff run 

Hughes Byfuglien 

Edler Myers

Tryamkin Tanev

Benn 

:ph34r::wub:

Latest I heard that they Will mutually terminate contract and Buff will be available to sign with another team this year for the playoffs.

Makes me wonder if Byfuglien’s injury was handled improperly, perhaps he is pissed.

Anyone know if he’s been training anywhere?   If he’s been skating?  

Edited by SilentSam

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Latest I heard that they Will mutually terminate contract and Buff will be available to sign with another team this year for the playoffs.

Makes me wonder if Byfuglien’s injury was handled improperly, perhaps he is pissed.

Anyone know if he’s been training anywhere?   If he’s been skating?  

From the Seravalli article:

Byfuglien, 34, has not resumed skating since undergoing ankle surgery in late October. He reportedly began rehabbing the injury in consultation with the Jets in mid-December, but hasn’t progressed to the next step in the process.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Pretty damn sure if byfuglien told cheveldayoff his situation the jets management team would have re-signed myers and or trouba

Myers was never in the Jets long term plans. They had no intention of extending him.

As for Trouba, that horse has been dead for a while, now. He didn’t want to play in Canada, and specifically wanted to play in New York for his girflriend/fiancé’s career. And, considering how Pionk has turned out for them (as well as re-acquiring their first and using it on Heinola), the Jets are happy with that return (at this point).

But yeah, had they known Buff’s status ahead of time, they certainly could have made a trade earlier to shore in their defense. Now, they are caught in sort of tough spot. However, with the huge cap relief they will get now, their chances of landing a defenseman at the deadline with term left is higher than other teams, as they have the cap space that other playoff teams may not have.

9 hours ago, mll said:

From the Seravalli article:

Byfuglien, 34, has not resumed skating since undergoing ankle surgery in late October. He reportedly began rehabbing the injury in consultation with the Jets in mid-December, but hasn’t progressed to the next step in the process.

Why do I have the feeling he's somewhere on Lake Minnetonka pounding back Pabsts like there's no tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why do I have the feeling he's somewhere on Lake Minnetonka pounding back Pabsts like there's no tomorrow

He's probably 350 pounds and full of pancakes and beers.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Ice fishing 

24 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

He's probably 350 pounds and full of pancakes and beers.

Not beer's and pancakes but beers and fried fish, those are his weaknesses lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hard to blame him if he was pressured (or mislead) into signing an improper physical report 

The initial report was that he was contemplating retirement per the title of the thread.  He had surgery only at the end of October and without consulting the Jets. 

The Jets wanted him to play for them this season - he caught them completely off guard.  If they knew he wasn't right they would have made him take care of things over the summer.  

On 10/6/2019 at 4:25 PM, canuck73_3 said:

31 thoughts Friedman said Byfuglien wanted to retire and the Jets talked him into taking a leave for what it’s worth. 

Wow, that is different than reports of a players association stand off. Arguing he is due to be paid as his hiatus was a legit hockey injury. But, I mean, he did have surgery?

On 10/7/2019 at 2:09 AM, Monty said:

Worth a thought, I suppose.

I suppose he has his right to retire.  

Remains curious timing. If I was a Jets fan I would be upset.  It still constrained the team from more legit moves to shore up the D with everything going on this past summer.

• Cheers 1

Whoo'da ever thunk a guy who showed up for training camp 70 lbs overweight?

Image result for Byfuglien fat"

Would leave another one of his teams hanging 10 years later. That he ''tried'' to be a leader, called out guys like Evander Kane?  

It always seemed suspiciously flakey to me. I always speculated, have here on CDC.  He was part of a locker room void.  Lack of real commitment. That held the team back for years. 

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I suppose he has his right to retire.  

Remains curious timing. If I was a Jets fan I would be upset.  It still constrained the team from more legit moves to shore up the D with everything going on this past summer.

On a scale of 1 to 10 of being bothered, I’m at a minus 6. Doesn’t make a difference in my life whatsoever.

As for the team, they’ll still make money, they still have Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey, and Hellebuyck, as well as now Pionk and Heinola. 

Also, I think the fact that they’ve managed to tread water like they have without Buff, who’s 34, shows the depth they do have. And now they have a lot of cap space to try and add a defenseman with term, who’s also not 34 years old.

But whatever happens, I don’t actually care. I’ve got a 3 year old and a 9 month old that occupy my care. Hockey is as low in the totem pole as it could be.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

On a scale of 1 to 10 of being bothered, I’m at a minus 6. Doesn’t make a difference in my life whatsoever.

As for the team, they’ll still make money, they still have Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey, and Hellebuyck, as well as now Pionk and Heinola. 

Also, I think the fact that they’ve managed to tread water like they have without Buff, who’s 34, shows the depth they do have. And now they have a lot of cap space to try and add a defenseman with term, who’s also not 34 years old.

But whatever happens, I don’t actually care. I’ve got a 3 year old and a 9 month old that occupy my care. Hockey is as low in the totem pole as it could be.

You are not the only Jets fan.  Although I did respond to you. So I know why you are mentioning...

Yeah lots in the tank still.  

But a bump in the road.

From Friedman's 31 thoughts

3. The Jets, Dustin Byfuglien, the NHL and the NHLPA continue to work towards an agreement on his contract termination. One of the key negotiating points is beyond both the team and the player, with the league and the union needing to agree on language about his grievance. From what I’ve heard, there’s a low confidence level at this time that he’d win it, and, in order for things to work out, they’re going to have to agree that this outcome cannot be used as precedent for any future grievances. That has happened before, with Mike Richards. When he settled with the Kings, both sides agreed it couldn’t affect future litigation.

4. Byfuglien has yet to resume skating, so it is extremely unlikely he returns this season. But, if he has any desire to play in the future, there’s going to be interest. There are obvious connections in Chicago (old organization), Florida (old coach) and Vegas (Kelly McCrimmon ran Brandon, where Byfuglien began his WHL career). Even teams without such clear relationships would wish to talk to him, too. There was a time during this process when the Jets wanted him to return with them, but the relationship soured as this continued. He’s a unique personality — I say that with respect — and there’s no certainty about what he’ll do.

The Hockey News just published a rumour article that seems to shed light on why Byfuglien doesn’t want to be in Winnipeg anymore. I wouldn’t let them anywhere near mine either, Dustin. 

RUMOR ROUNDUP: KREIDER CHATTER NOT SLOWING DOWN, JETS LOOKING TO FILL BYFUGLIEN’S HOLE

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Hockey News just published a rumour article that seems to shed light on why Byfuglien doesn’t want to be in Winnipeg anymore. I wouldn’t let them anywhere near mine either, Dustin. 

RUMOR ROUNDUP: KREIDER CHATTER NOT SLOWING DOWN, JETS LOOKING TO FILL BYFUGLIEN’S HOLE

thats gotta be a bi..... nah I can't do it. Conjures up a whole lotta wrong. 

• 3 weeks later...