The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discuss] Markstrom's Future

Rate this topic

86Viking

Markstrom had a solid season last year and has been great again so far this year. He is an upcoming UFA with a 3.66m cap hit who will be 30 years old in January.

Keys to consider: Upcoming expansion draft & Demko's future with the team

Demko is signed for an additional year at 1.05m and will be an RFA in 2021 with Arbitration rights I assume?

Demko fits in great age wise with our current core and could be our future #1 for a long time.

What sort of extension for Markstrom term/ cap hit/ NTC/NMC would make most Canuck fans comfortable going forward?

Is there a length of contract or cap hit $ amount that would make you want us to pass on giving him that long term deal with high cap hit and NTC/NMC protection?

If we lock up Marky for more than say 4 years we really could run into having to deal a G with no leverage before the expansion draft or possible lose 1 of Marky/Demko to Seattle for free. We don't want to be in a spot like Pittsburgh where they had to pay Vegas to take a legit #1 guy in Fleury.

Personally, I would try to get Marky signed for 2-4 years max as I feel Demko could develop into a #1 and is on the right side of 30 and as above stated perfect age to grow with the core. But if Marky has another great year you know how agents are...they will want to get the max deal they can for Marky.

Just going to mention this: teams in recent memory Pitts & the Blues have both made the playoffs and won a Cup with a young cheap G. Not trying to say Demko can replicate that but it's not out of the question to have a young NHL G help your team be successful.

I am curious if or how much JB and Marky's agent had for extension talks this past summer, all I know is he will only get a bit more expensive to Re-Sign the further we get into this year if he continues to be lights out. 

So, let's discuss what makes most fans comfortable contract wise and is there a deal we say is too rich and we walk away from extending him...

• Upvote 2

In my mind, Demko hasn't proven much at all yet. He hasn't had a long string of games where he's been relied on as our "guy" and he proves he get's a chance to do that I won't be 100% sold on him. The signs are there, but the opportunity to prove it hasn't come yet. 

Goaltending is a such a finicky position and it means so much that I would rather do everything in our power to make the right decision (in regards to Markstrom vs. Demko) long term and if we end up giving up a free asset or something then so be it. Making the wrong decision in the next couple years in net could set the franchise back a considerable amount and finding a goalie is no easy task. This is the one area where I feel asset management means nothing. Sign Markstrom long term if you have to and then make a decision at the Expansion Draft or whenever they feel they're ready to. 

We've been very lucky with our goalies here and I don't want that to change. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is an - 'under the radar' - massive decision. How do you just toss Markstrom aside? He's become so good, he's so important to this team.

Demko has looked good but its a limited role. Unless he looks like 2012-13 Cory Schneider next season, its not an easy decision to let Markstrom go. Long term Marky should be considered 100%. He's been playing at an (arguably) borderline elite level the last year or so. Its unfortunate the expansion draft kind of handcuffs us.

I think its still TBD. I'd use all the time we have to be sure about this.

It is still be TBD I agree, it is really too bad Marky doesn't have 1 more year left like Demko. Then we would likely have a much better picture a year plus from now if Demko is ready to take the reigns or if we should commit to Marky.

Not an easy choice, JB has a tough decision upcoming. He does have to think about the cap going forward also, we don't have any real big cap hits coming off the books unless Tanev and most of the UFA to be we have are all let go. Plus over the next 2 year we need to sign EP and Hughes to new higher cap hit contracts also.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

In my mind, Demko hasn't proven much at all yet. He hasn't had a long string of games where he's been relied on as our "guy" and he proves he get's a chance to do that I won't be 100% sold on him. The signs are there, but the opportunity to prove it hasn't come yet. 

Goaltending is a such a finicky position and it means so much that I would rather do everything in our power to make the right decision (in regards to Markstrom vs. Demko) long term and if we end up giving up a free asset or something then so be it. Making the wrong decision in the next couple years in net could set the franchise back a considerable amount and finding a goalie is no easy task. This is the one area where I feel asset management means nothing. Sign Markstrom long term if you have to and then make a decision at the Expansion Draft or whenever they feel they're ready to. 

I agree, Demko won't get a long string of games as long as Marky is playing like this. So, if Green is going to ride Marky for most games other than back to backs we won't have the best read on Demko after this year. I think Demko has showed he is a capable NHL G, does he need to refine some areas for sure but most G do when they enter the NHL the 1st few years. I hope Demko gets given some more opportunities and can help Marky rest a bit. 

It is also Dipietro's 1st pro year, so he may turn out he may not but he is going to need some seasoning in the A and time will tell if his style and size will hold up to the AHL then maybe down the road the NHL. 

I would not hold out hope of him becoming a legit #1, I think Demko is much closer to being that guy just as a personal opinion, he is also older and should be closer to that position.

But if JB locks Marky up long term, may not be for 2-3 years but it might mean we trade Demko or expose him for Seattle to take. I just prefer we go with the younger G long term.

Canucks should be a good team for 5-10 years if we can keep our core young guys together and they continue to improve as they adapt to the NHL. So if that is the case is a mid to late 30s Marky the G we want anchoring the net at a high cap hit when we COULD be more legit Cup contenders...I hope!

I think we are in a fantastic position having Markstrom playing fantastic since 40 game mark last season..Demko had good 9 games last season                     2.81GAA 9.13 SA% . Demko this season he has looked great in 3 games.. Jim and management team have big decisions to make...

Markstrom will want at least a 5 yr contact at 4.5 - 5 Million range....So lucky to have two very good goalies that steel games...

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I think we are in a fantastic position having Markstrom playing fantastic since 40 game mark last season..Demko had good 9 games last season                     2.81GAA 9.13 SA% . Demko this season he has looked great in 3 games.. Jim and management team have big decisions to make...

Markstrom will want at least a 5 yr contact at 4.5 - 5 Million range....So lucky to have two very good goalies that steel games...

Personal opinion, but if Markstrom only wants that kind of term and cap hit he would already have been locked up. His next contract starts with a 6 at minimum if I had to guess. Would love for it to be lower, but with G's it is so hard to tell what kind of deal they will get!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Whaleroad Train said:

Whoever we keep, whatever we do, just don't make a stuff up like Schneider and Lou.

Don't think we can unless we give Marky an 8 yr deal and then watch Demko pull a Schneider 2,0 season next year. I don't think we can get marky too cheap, there are teams out there who could use a #1. He isn't going to cost a fortune...I don't think at least but length of contract may be the biggest hurdle if he wants security he may take a lower cap hit but want 6-8 year deal.

A compareable recent G deal could be Ben Bishop in Dallas which he signed at 30 yrs old at just under 5m cap hit for 6yrs with a NMC that looks like it turns into a Modified NTC after this year- Year 3 of 6 in the deal.

So with inflation what would that contrac be now? Anyone have the skills to determine that?

45 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

He looked really good in the Devil's game.

Super crisp and not really a single WTF moment.

The team should feel comfortable in playing him 30 times this season.

I really like Markstroms game too, he stole 2 points again today!

I'd like to see us think about getting them to both buy into a platoon situation.

3 year contract with Marky, and if Demko shows in that time, we then give him a big contract.

Sadly, Marky is at the age where he is going to want one big cashola, and that means he is likely gone at the end of this season.

If Markstrom continues to play like this the whole year he probably will wait until summer to sign a new deal.  At that time there will be several teams after his services.  I could see him getting a 5-6 year deal at $6 million+, especially if he leads us to the playoffs and more.

Unfortunately, unless we are out of the playoff picture I don't think there is much Benning can do other than wait until the summer.  He can't trade Markstrom if we are playoff bound, Aquilini will veto the trade and I don't think Benning would pull the trigger anyways as this fan base has been waiting for a playoff run since forever.  We may lose Markstrom for nothing I'm afraid, as I don't see how we can fit him under the cap moving forward.  We just have to be happy for him as he will get paid his due and will be a successful goalie for many years to come.  Luckily we have Demko.  He is legit and will be a #1 goalie in this league. 

It just sucks that we may have to lose Markstrom for nothing.  Too bad he didn't have another year on the contract just in case Demko flops.  But I don't think that is going to happen.  Unless he gets a major injury I see Demko as a blue chip #1 in this league and a future star goalie.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I agree, Demko won't get a long string of games as long as Marky is playing like this. So, if Green is going to ride Marky for most games other than back to backs we won't have the best read on Demko after this year. I think Demko has showed he is a capable NHL G, does he need to refine some areas for sure but most G do when they enter the NHL the 1st few years. I hope Demko gets given some more opportunities and can help Marky rest a bit. 

It is also Dipietro's 1st pro year, so he may turn out he may not but he is going to need some seasoning in the A and time will tell if his style and size will hold up to the AHL then maybe down the road the NHL. 

I would not hold out hope of him becoming a legit #1, I think Demko is much closer to being that guy just as a personal opinion, he is also older and should be closer to that position.

But if JB locks Marky up long term, may not be for 2-3 years but it might mean we trade Demko or expose him for Seattle to take. I just prefer we go with the younger G long term.

Canucks should be a good team for 5-10 years if we can keep our core young guys together and they continue to improve as they adapt to the NHL. So if that is the case is a mid to late 30s Marky the G we want anchoring the net at a high cap hit when we COULD be more legit Cup contenders...I hope!

As he should. Markstrom has earned it . Worked his ass off to get to where he is ( not saying you disagree). 

Looks like Markstrom can be a legit #1 for us . Regardless of the struggles he may or may not have in the future, we now know he has it in him to be consistent.  I would lock him up to a 4 year deal, trade Demmer and keep dipietro. 

• Cheers 1

Marky is a #1 our #1 i feel alot more confident with markstrom as our tendy even at 29 ....hes in his prime and at the beggining of the year are window became open 

based on demkos stiff play style i see injuries beeing a problem and for me id love to see JB package him as a sweetener To get rid of LE 

and to aquire a pure goalscoring winger to a team that needs goaltending 

i through around the possibility of a NJ trade with Demko and Hall beeing involved 

something to think about

• Upvote 2

Question: Would a guy like Carter Hart be eligible for expansion draft?OPTION #1: Imagine he's having young 'tender blues, & the Flyers start getting impatient(thinking they could contend soon). Would anyone trade Demko for a young 'tender star, that didn't require protection? Maybe they add a key prospect piece(eg: good C for Utica), & we add a prospect from position of surplus. Doesn't have to be Hart/Philly, but this might be the kind of pattern-option that is offered to JB.

Option #2: Somewhat jokingly asked this in a Tryamkin thread. What if the team like the Canes were high on Markstrom?

To make the situation possible: JM is playing outstanding all first 50 games of season( 2.20 avg & almost 93 % s pct). Mrazek is very inconsistent. Say they offer him(1 more yr after this; about 3 mill AAV) AND the Maple Leafs 1st(from Marleau deal)? Would anyone take the plunge?

***************************************:

I only ask these two hypothetically, if both our 'tenders were performing at this level they've already established. With an ED on the way, I think we might have to go for one of these(types) alternatives. If we were to consummate such a move in-season, we can(realistically) expect, & demand,(or don't do it) a fine return.

Well, in all likelihood, if we have both goalies on our roster when the expansion takes place, we are losing one of them. Unless we swing some sorta deal with Seattle ie; don't touch our goalies, we'll trade you pick + X player and you take *Insert name here...ah hell who am I kidding Eriksson, ERIKSSON* off our hands.

My heart says Markstrom, my head says Demko. Marky will be 30 pretty quick whereas Demko will be 24 fairly quick. Demko's also closer to the age bracket of our talented youth. Marky's never looked better but Demko's always shown great promise. 

I don't envy JB and co, this won't be an easy decision with expansion looming. 

• Upvote 3